Google Android

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Google Android

Postby Tappy » 27 Nov 2014, 16:19

That is a point, it will need propping up unless you get the cover, which is another £25. And I don't really need the 32GB jobby. Nor those games. Nor the controller - I was thinking more of mousey games...

Maybe I just need a 16GB and one of these! http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/m ... 80?crid=26
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Nov 2014, 17:01

The lack of case is a bit cheeky given it shows the tablet propped up in the main shots using the case, it implies it's part of the package. I think a split controller that some companies have produced would have worked better with this where you'd have one half of the controller either side of the tablet which would make it easier to use on the move.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Dec 2014, 10:41

Hey, I can legitimately come into this thread now I have an Nvidia Shield Tablet.

S'up Android peeps!

I haven't used it much yet, just played some Hearthstone. Tried some game streaming but Steam was having issues last night, Titanfall streamed but my controller kept losing its connection. Worked okay when I didn't use the controller.

Updated Android to Lollipop, which annoyingly broke the EE TV app - they say that since none of their devices support Lollipop, they haven't needed to update the app yet. Saying that they don't even have an app for the Windows phones that they sell - dualers.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 29 Dec 2014, 14:52

Got snapchat running on my mini pro now... um, that and iPlayer radio is all I use at the mo.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 29 Dec 2014, 15:17

Wish i had a nvidia shield tablet. Looks good!

I'm really loving google now at the moment!

"ok google. what song am i listening to?" and it tells you!

"ok google. wake me up in half an hour" and it sets an alarm!

"ok google, remind me at 8pm that top gear is on" and it does!

awesome!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Dec 2014, 19:47

How are you actually gaming on the shield tablet with the controller? It seemed a bit odd needing to place the shield on a flat surface to use it but it's perhaps more versatile than I'm thinking. I certainly like the idea of it but the smaller one would suit my use better, I'm hoping now they've released the tablet officially here that the rumoured new portable one will also get a release here.

I haven't used the Ok google (google now?) services at all, do you have it configured to always be listening for you?

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Dec 2014, 20:09

After a few days I've finally changed fully over to the Note 4 and hoping to stay with it. Android has a curious relationship with large screen phones as it's been their foundation for a while (all the mainstream flagships have moved up to the 5in size) and there's been plenty of large phone devices (around the 6in mark) yet Android still doesn't seem to be adopting them properly even though there's now a Nexus 6. These larger devices obviously sit between phones and tablets yet not only do they use phone applications but increasingly they have the same sized interface as smaller phones.

This has been a big problem for me with the Note 4, Samsung are ahead of the game in some respects as the Note 4 boasts the S-pen and a multi-window interface but it gets it surprisingly wrong in other areas particularly the UI scaling. The Sony Z Ultra in Sony form (rather than the Google Play Edition) gets this part absolutely right, as it has a mammoth 6.4in screen Sony scaled the interface to be similar to a 7in tablet interface meaning the desktop grid has six by six icons, the dock has seven and in general you can fit a lot more on screen everything is proportionately smaller which is fine as the screen itself is larger. It's one of the main reasons I like the Z Ultra, the GPE though uses the same scaling as the Nexus 5 rather than 7 which means everything is too large.

The Note 4 bizarrely uses the same scaling as the 4in phones meaning just 4x4 for the desktop grid and everything basically being too large, like it was in some high visibility mode. Because everything is scaled as it would be for a smaller screen, what would be usable on a smaller screen is stupidly large on the 5.7in screen. Thankfully I came across this very helpful forum topic which allows you to change the scaling without root (and suspect it would work on other Android devices):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4- ... i-t2960644

I had wondered why Samsung do this, it's the same on the Note 3 but not the Note 1 - it had a correctly scaled UI for the screen. The answer seems to be that Samsung are lazy, the Note 1 didn't use much Samsung software but the Note 4 does and changing the DPI breaks all the Samsung applications. That's mostly not a problem as I prefer the Google versions, I've replaced the launcher leaving the camera as the only issue - the camera buttons and interface are misaligned but the stock camera app seems to get the best from the camera. I think I can live with that though as the whole device is so much better.

On the plus side, I'm finding the camera on the Note 4 to be superb - I liked the old 8MP shooter on the S2/Note 1 (which the Z Ultra was much worse than) but I'm really impressed with the Note 4's camera, it seems a good sensor which combined with the OIS makes for great low light photos. The super sharp 1440p AMOLED screen is very pretty as well and I'm pleased to lose the weather sealing - no sealed USB port and a replaceable battery.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 31 Dec 2014, 10:33

Johnmcl7 wrote:How are you actually gaming on the shield tablet with the controller? It seemed a bit odd needing to place the shield on a flat surface to use it but it's perhaps more versatile than I'm thinking.

Nah, I think you're right, so I opted to get the cover with it. That does a decent job of being able to prop the screen up in a suitable manner on your lap, chest or whatever. What having a separate controller does allow (which I didn't think of before) is to have your arms at a comfortable length behind the tablet and have the screen at a closer optimum viewing length, whereas with the portable, I guess you would have to compromise with the both. Not that the combination has been an issue with Gameboys or PSPs over the years, really.

I still haven't done proper gaming with the controller though, just Portal so far. I'll probably do a little review on it in a week or so once I have had a chance to get it all rolling.

Johnmcl7 wrote:I haven't used the Ok google (google now?) services at all, do you have it configured to always be listening for you?

It just worked out of the box for me (only tried after the LickmyLollistick update). When I say 'worked' it would listen, and then it was a crapshoot of what would happen next, but the "Okay, Google" bit seems just to function.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 23 Feb 2015, 15:15

Howdy all.

Just wondering what the general consensus was for a decent budget/2nd hand Android phone. Looking for a spare, second phone that's not massive which will handle apps better than the Mini Pro I have at the moment. I love its size and portability as a spare phone but it's getting so slow and apps like Spotify, FB Pages Manager etc are taking an age to load up - if ever at all. I can't root the Mini Pro either (have tried and it's a model that can't be) and my even older x10 mini pro has slider keyboard issues which I doubt would be worthwhile repairing as it's so old now and would suffer from the same slowness/lack of RAM.

The moto G still king in this area? Although the new one is 5" and would prefer something smaller. The Sony Z1 compact is still going for lots of £££ even with the Z3 compact around but then again it is more high spec. Round the 4.5" size or smaller would be great. Seem on cheap Sony's but fear they'd be sluggish to run and don't want a super sh*t camera either. Would also be good to be able to use it for taking pictures at work and not have to use my main Lumia 925.

As an aside, how decent is the camera in the 925 still compared to what's out there now?
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 23 Feb 2015, 15:41

The cheaper Galaxy phones are pretty good, if you can stomach the bloatware. Failing that, see if you can find a nexus 4 or 5 if not too big for your lady hands :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 24 Feb 2015, 12:23

the bloatware can be disabled quite easily, I have at home the name of the small pc "app" for this
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Feb 2015, 13:59

Strange, I thought I typed a reply to this. There's been a few suggested successors to the Moto G on HUKD but I've had a look and they don't seem to be at that point yet in particular they were needing to be imported which isn't ideal.

The S4 mini seems a reasonable phone and there were some deals on it over Christmas although I don't know the current prices for it.

I'd say the Lumia 925 camera still compares favourably mainly due to its OIS which other manufacturers have been mainly keeping for their larger phones.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 25 Feb 2015, 14:39

Been looking at the S4 mini as suggested. One went for £96 on ebay last night and looked in near mint condition - annoyed I flicked off the page to look up specs vs a nexus 4 and then missed the ending of the auction as no one put any further bids down (doesn't tell if there was a higher highest bid on it though). One went today at just before noon - also near mint condition - but for £155! This one was purple but still!

Can get one new as an upgrade on payg at cpw for £120. Might leave it a week or so and see if any s6/s6 mini announcements lower the price a little. Nexus 4 does look nice with its vanilla Androidness but no expandable memory which might not be great for use as a music player...

steffcip wrote:the bloatware can be disabled quite easily, I have at home the name of the small pc "app" for this

What's the name of this program/app?
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 25 Feb 2015, 20:00

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Aug 2015, 16:32

People get a chance to try the new IOS9:

http://www.neowin.net/news/neobytes--th ... -apple-fan

John

Return to “Other Technology”