Google Android

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Google Android

Postby EviL Ras » 16 Jan 2010, 15:20

With the release of the HTC touch HD2, and the nexus one. As well as the incoming SE Xperia X10 and the motorola Milestone/droid, i'm getting more interested in the system!

So, sell it to me? Whats so good about it over, say, apple?
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Google Android

Postby mrtoddie » 16 Jan 2010, 19:31

Well an apple grows on a tree?? and you eat or cook with em...

not much competition to a phone really... although you can make cider with apples :P
Yeah!
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 16 Jan 2010, 19:52

lol
iphone is the best considering the apps available
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 16 Jan 2010, 20:07

careful though - once you go iphone and you buy an app or two you feel tied in...
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2010, 22:09

Multitasking is a massive one for me. More regular updates from google. More customisable, more freedom of choice in how you use your device. Can get android phones with a physical keyboard. Arguably better hardware with much bigger choice of devices and carriers now and in the future.

Yes iphone has more apps, but android has thousands, and its only going to get bigger. The best ones come out on both platforms, and in all honesty most are a waste of time, so the sheer number of apps shouldn't really be a selling point. Though the apps on android are less polished than the iphone, games are the best example of this. We are seeing many devices coming out with android, so the platform will continue to expand.

At the end of the day, I think your either an apple man or not. I'm not really, but I do see the appeal of the iphone, everybody has one, so you know things are going to be compatible.

I do love the android system, and even though my phone is a bit slow and clunky (still on the g1), I wouldn't swap it for anything but a new android. I think once you start using it you will love it and be excited about where it could go.

Jimbob

Ps this may be a selling point for you or not, but I like having a google phone and being in theire cloud. They way google is taking over the internet might be good to get into the google swing of things early
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 17 Jan 2010, 13:19

I concur. I have a G1 also and it has been superb. The number of apps in the store is irrelevant, most you wouldn't even look at or need, plus a lot of crap on both android market and apple's store.

Apple have much tighter control over the apps that get published, which can be restrictive imho.

I REALLY don't like being on the customer end of apple business strategy. I dertainly would feel locked to iTunes, which I won't have installed on any of my PCs. I do have a macbook pro with it on, but I turn it on so rarely it would just be an inconvenience.

The customisation you get with Android and the apps is great, plus everything I use is free and have never paid for an app yet. The cloud concept is superb, I can edit, add and fiddle around with contacts online instead of on the phone. With a large address book that is nirvana.

Some good free apps to combine various IM and social networking as well, you can even voice call over some of them too.

Go for it Ras, you will not regret it.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Jan 2010, 14:45

Sounds good! I was hoping i'd find some pondlings that would enthuse about android!

Had a look at the Eclair (android 2.0) vid, and it looks brilliant! But there's only the motorola milestone/droid that has it so far. And the xperia x10 looks great, but only has android 1.6 on it. not sure if you can upgrade handsets yet.

Still, looks like i'm set on android now! Apps store will improve in time. Loving the cloud thing! Cant wait til june so i can upgrade!!! I hope theres more snapdragon phones out by then tho! droid is best operating system but only 533mhz ARM processor!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 17 Jan 2010, 17:42

Not keen on the Driod/Milestone as the keyboard is suppose to be pretty terrible.

The new Nexus One is loaded with 2.1 with a Snapdragon although I'm not fussed on the design, and HTC is working on a 2.1 ROM for the Hero. I'm loving my Hero, although it lags a little when having a few apps open, but that is to be expected. I would maybe look into the HTC "Espresso" which from rumours is a HTC Hero with a physical keyboard.
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 17 Jan 2010, 17:51

I'm keeping a close eye on Android, I currently have a Blackberry which I'm tied into for the rest of the year but once that contract is up I may be interested in changing.

I like the idea of having multiple phones to choose from that all have the same operating system, the Google Nexus looks nice but I'm not entirely sold on it yet.

I'm not a big fan of the Iphone, it was a massive leap in technology when Apple released the Iphone and but I'm a firm believer that other mobile phone manufacturers could have produced a similar phone with exactly the same features years before Apple but instead the dropped in one/two new features every 12 months so that customers would have an incentive to take up new contracts with new phones.

If someone has an Ipod and they are looking for a new phone then the Iphone does have a massive advantage, it would be great if Google could compete on a similar level with the Nexus One. I'm not a fan of Itunes and prefer Napster, I also hate the way that whenever Quicktime gets an update they try and force Itunes on me.

steffcip wrote:iphone is the best considering the apps available

Out of interest does anyone know how many apps there are for a mac compared to a PC? I'm guessing there are more apps for a PC in which case surely most Iphone users would also be PC users for exactly the same reason, I have no hard facts on this only my own experience so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also like Jim says most apps are a waste of time, I think every mobile phone I have ever helped me split the bill when I was at a restaurant, its called a calculator.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 17 Jan 2010, 18:09

looking forward to buy an android phone but my contract ends in dec '10, the iphone I have use it on the personal line but it was an upgrade on the business line (paid by work); on the business line I won't replace the blackberry....
up to now I played more games on iphone than on any other phone in my life... it's not the apps that I am really interested in but the games to play while away (bus, train, shopping with wife :) ). I do not want/like to carry a psp/ds but the iphone I always have it with me
if developers will do games on android same as iphone it will be good, I didn't want the iphone on the personal line as it was too expensive for my taste :D
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Jan 2010, 15:19

You've mentioned a few times that text entry is important to you so that would seem to give the keyboard Android devices a big advantage, I really hate typing on a touch screen.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 18 Jan 2010, 19:15

for me typing is very important on the business line on which I have a blackberry 8900
on the personal line I only send maybe 1 txt per day and no email setup so touchscreen is not an issue
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 18 Jan 2010, 20:24

I've used touchscreen texting before. itsd not too bad. keyboard is better really. and makes it feel like a little computer!

but i want the 1ghz snapdragon!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 18 Jan 2010, 21:01

Ive also got the hero and as much as I do like it and all the (mostly free) apps it does really feel sluggish sometimes and id much rather have a snapdragon handset. Id happily sacrifice some eye candy for a constantly responsive phone, sometimes I wish I still had my SE w880 in that regards.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 18 Jan 2010, 21:58

A lot of the 'sluggish' response on android is because of it's multi-tasking ability outstripping the hardware ability. Use one of the free task killer apps to keep a tab on what may be grinding your phone to a halt.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Return to “Other Technology”