USB-C Hub for laptop and desktop

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 20 Sep 2019, 08:59

So I've got a new job which involves me working from home a bit more often, so I'd like to simplify how I setup my laptop and desktop, but I'm struggling to find out what the best approach would be.

The devices I have are:
Monitor: HDMI and Displayport also has a built in USB hub
Laptop: USB-C & HDMI
Desktop: HDMI and Displayport (Currently using HDMI cables)

What I'd like is to leverage the USB-C on the laptop, so for laptop use I plug in a cable and my keyboard, mouse are connected, my monitor switches to laptop and the laptop gets power - So I only need to plugin 1 cable and everything switches, then if I want to use the desktop I unplug the USB-C cable switch on the desktop and the keyboard, mouse and monitor all switch back.
The one caveat is that I use the desktop for gaming so ideally want a direct cable from the Gfx card to the monitor, without going through any switches etc.

At the moment my best solution is:
1.) Connect DisplayPort from monitor to desktop
2.) Buy a USB-C hub and connect HDMI, mouse, keyboard and power
3.) Buy a USB-C to A adapter that plugs into the desktop
4.) I then just plug the USB-C cable either into the laptop or the adapter depending on what I'm using
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Sep 2019, 11:14

We use startech 4k docks at work. It has 1 display port 2 usb c, 1 thunderbolt with PD and 2 usb sockets. This means you can have everything plugged into it and just use the USB C to charge your laptop and provide networking and peripherals.

I guess thats the answer then,m just unplug the laptop and plug in the desktop into the USB C port.

That said the dock is over £200... and its like £65 for long USB C to USB C cable..
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Sep 2019, 16:44

What you seem to want is a USB-C KVM switch which should be technically possible but I can't find anyone that makes one, the only ones I can find don't power the host devices. That would be the neatest solution as then you'd just press a button to switch between the two machines.

A standard USB-C hub should do what you want and perhaps worth looking at Lenovo/Dell ones as business ones can often be found cheap, we use Lenovo ones at work but they seem fine with non-Lenovo devices (including my Android phone which is quite cool). I'd recommend the fancier HDMI version rather than the basic displayport version though as some find it more reliable, I'm using the basic DP one with a Lenovo T480 and a Samsung 3440x1440 monitor and no issues.

I'm not sure about your desktop what you'd need on that side (I'm assuming you don't have USB-C on the desktop) as the current state of USB is such a mess although if you're not needing power or display on the desktop PC it should be straightforward as that's two areas I've hit issues with using USB-C.
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 14 Oct 2019, 20:40

Johnmcl7 wrote:I'm not sure about your desktop what you'd need on that side (I'm assuming you don't have USB-C on the desktop) as the current state of USB is such a mess although if you're not needing power or display on the desktop PC it should be straightforward as that's two areas I've hit issues with using USB-C.

Don't have USB-C on the desktop but I have found an adaptor with female usb-C to Usb so I can plug a hub into my desktop, but here's my stupid question if it's a powered hub what happens if I plug that into my desktop? Does it do nothing or will it fry my motherboard
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 17 Oct 2019, 10:46

Had a change of plan, decided that a USB-C hub is great but not what I should get first.

I'm using a USB switch to swap USB devices between the PC/Laptop, then connecting to the monitor using Displayport for PC and HDMI for Laptop.

I still need to plugin USB/HDMI/Power to the laptop, but just push the switch button to swap devices over.

I can then get a USB-C Hub at a later date, I can then plugin the USB/HDMI/Power to the Hub and have a single USB-C cable going to the laptop.

Return to “Other Technology”