Old Rock user new system advise

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Old Bill

Postby Old Bill » 27 Dec 2017, 19:23

Hi Guys,
I used to post on the old Rock forum many years ago.
Sadly by old Dell desktop has died, and I am looking for a future proof gaming system.
I have chosen the following system from Mesh Computers. Has anyone had any dealings with them (good or bad) ? Is there anything you would change with the following system ?

System Status Price Qty Total
P3 Z370 Liquid Cooled
System Base Price: £ 2332.50
Destiny 2 PC Download Included
Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case [upg £ 17.50]
1000W Corsair RM1000x Fully Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply [upg £ 35.00]
3x Eclipse Blue Ring LED 12cm with Hydraulic Bearings Cooling Fan [upg £ 25.00]
TtMod Black/Blue Sleeved Cable Kit
ASUS ROG Intel Z370 Maximus X Hero Coffee Lake Motherboard
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 6 Core Processor (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache (Pre-Order Only)
Thermaltake Pacific RL240 D5 Hard Tube Water Cooling Kit
Yellow Water Cooling Opaque Coolant- 1 Litre
Overclock Configuration (available when Liquid CPU Cooler is selected)
32GB 3333MHz DDR4 (4x8GB) RGB Memory Kit - Corsair [upg £ 60.00]
11GB NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1080Ti Graphics Card
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [upg £ 32.50]
2TB SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms
1TB SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms [upg £ 42.50]
External USB Slimline Blu-Ray Combo DVD-RW [upg £ 82.50]
USB 3.0 Media Reader - External [upg £ 32.50]
Creative Sound Blaster® Zx PCIe 5.1Ch Gaming Sound Card [upg £ 100.00]
Dynamode Nano 802.11n 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter Dongle [upg £ 15.00]
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
BullGuard™ Internet Security - 90 Day License
24" iiyama G-Master GB2488HSU-B3 Full HD LED Gaming Monitor [upg £ 249.17]
Tt eSPORTS Comma

Thanks for any advice .
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 27 Dec 2017, 19:40

I bought a pc from Mesh in 2001. It was fine and service was good. Never dealt with them since though
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Jan 2018, 17:57

Steff has an ebay shop where he was mostly selling silent pc builds. I'm sure he'd quote you for a gaming spec machine.

Not used Mesh before and way out of the build game but would wonder how much real world gains you get once you start going over 1500/2000/2500 vs spending a little less now and bumping the gfx down the line etc.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Jan 2018, 22:14

A very warm welcome to the forum, great to see you here.

I actually thought Mesh had gone bust some time ago and hadn't realised they'd survived as I haven't heard them mentioned at all the last few years.

That's obviously a pretty high spec you've gone for, the main question I'd have is the choice of a 1080p monitor with a 1080Ti graphics card - that's an incredibly powerful graphics card capable of genuine 4K performance which would be wasted with a 1080p screen.

Did you intentionally choose the external USB blu-ray drive over the internal one? Also is the choice of the additional 1TB drive because you want a fixed drive for backups rather than a single 3TB drive?
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Old Bill

Postby Old Bill » 07 Jan 2018, 18:18

Thanks for the reply. Having tried to contact MESH a few times. They just never pick up the phone, and that's before I buy anything from them. So I am back to square one. I have seen Scan mentioned elsewhere are they a reputable company ? You said Steffen has a shop on eBay ? I will have a look.
It's been a long time since I looked at a high spec system. The above spec was just a guide. Please feel free to let me know what you would charge.
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 11 Jan 2018, 20:43

welcome Bill (by the way John did we enable registrations)?

I can build pretty much anything but I prefer to sell fanless PCs mostly http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CS-PC-Shop
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jan 2018, 18:41

Old Bill wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the reply. Having tried to contact MESH a few times. They just never pick up the phone, and that's before I buy anything from them. So I am back to square one. I have seen Scan mentioned elsewhere are they a reputable company ? You said Steffen has a shop on eBay ? I will have a look.
It's been a long time since I looked at a high spec system. The above spec was just a guide. Please feel free to let me know what you would charge.

That's a very poor show from Mesh, if they can't be bothered helping you to spend money with them then it's not a good indicator about their after sales support.

Scan are one of the biggest consumer PC parts suppliers in the UK and they've been on the go for some time, I know one person who has bought a desktop from them which all seemed fine although they haven't needed any support. At least with desktop PC's it's all standard parts so if you do have problems down the line you can sort it whereas with a laptop, you're pretty much screwed these days.

Spec wise the first question is what do you want to do with the PC? The spec you've listed is obviously mostly very high end but I'd just question the choice of the 1080TI with a 1080p monitor - the 1080TI is a very expensive graphics card and you're paying that high premium to get 4k60 performance, on a 1080p monitor it's going to be massively wasted. It doesn't make sense as a longer term investment either as the next generation of graphics cards will likely offer 1080ti performance for less than half the price, high end graphics run hot and draw a lot of power so I find their longevity isn't great.

I use a 27in monitor that runs at 2560x1440 which I find is a good balance as you get a nice bit more resolution than 1080p for gaming, it's also not too high that you need scaling either as you do with a 4K monitor. That said Windows 10 generally handles scaling a lot better than previous operating systems and there's a lot of laptops these days now shipping with high resolution displays that need scaling so support should only get better.

John
Old Bill

Postby Old Bill » 21 Jan 2018, 11:32

I have just had delivered this system from Scan. Just in the process of setting it up. Will give a update once it’s up and running.
Attachments
A96D3178-24F3-4FE2-A92A-BF7BB9FCA8CA.png
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Feb 2018, 02:46

Do you have the machine yet?

I was checking the original receipt for my current desktop which turns out will celebrate its sixth birthday in April which is quite a shock as despite being a dinosaur in technology terms, there's not really anything that's much of an upgrade to it although it's had hefty upgrades to its storage and graphics cards. The main weakness is its 8GB DDR3 ram, I'm annoyed I didn't upgrade the ram at the time I upgraded it for VR as the prices are way higher now. I am toying with trying my luck with Cex as they have very cheap prices, a 24 month warranty and very good returns.

Return to “Other Technology”