Rock Computers

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Rock Computers

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Apr 2012, 02:40

matt wrote:wasn't it a more about the clevo parts being sh1t?

That was clearly part of the problem as packing in highly powerful desktop components into a comparatively small laptop chassis doesn't make for a reliable package but Rock's service at times seemed as much as a problem with some people without their machines for ridiculous amounts of time. I realise they had difficulties getting parts at times but they should have offered alternative solutions to keep people going particularly given the high cost of the machines. It's also worth bearing in mind it wasn't just Clevo machines that were the issue, Rock also sold Uniwill and MSI machines.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 26 Apr 2012, 11:23

Don't forget the utterly worthless "insurance backing" of their warranty. Customers were told "don't worry you would be sorted out if we went under".
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Apr 2012, 16:38

Actually I had forgotten that and you're quite right to bring that up, it was unbelievable that after years of being told the warranty would apply no matter what that people where then told their machines were being repaired as a favour.

Matt, you are right about the social network side as well without which we probably wouldn't be here discussing this so I am still grateful for that, we had plenty of good times on the rock forum as well.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Apr 2012, 19:41

Johnmcl7 wrote:Actually I had forgotten that and you're quite right to bring that up, it was unbelievable that after years of being told the warranty would apply no matter what that people where then told their machines were being repaired as a favour.

Matt, you are right about the social network side as well without which we probably wouldn't be here discussing this so I am still grateful for that, we had plenty of good times on the rock forum as well.

John

Don't I know it, can't remember exactly how long they had the missus' laptop in the end but it was over 6 months, the track days and community did seem to be something to really set the company well above the competition, and having such a strong community and "social media" presence is impressive especially as it was before social media had really taken off.

Rock definitely seemed to think theft was the main reason for their failure, link to news article
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 26 Apr 2012, 22:34

I didn't know you guys then so missed out on all the track day fun! It was John's review of the Pegasus 330 that swung me over to buying the Peg 335 as my first laptop back in 2006! Think it was 2006 anyways... Sure I've said this all before but it was the helpful WickerMan over at the now defunct What Laptop? forums that suggested I look at Rock machines as I wanted a 13" laptop and pointed me to John's review. Posted a few things on the Rock forums but mainly read and hovered around, and did the same here to begin with until I saw there were 99 members and decided to take the 100th member tag!

Luckily never had to deal with a return/repair procedure - the only thing I had to do was get that 'free' Vista upgrade disc.

And yep, remember reading that a gambling employer was their main blame apart from supplier problems.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 26 Apr 2012, 22:52

I had a 30 minute turnaround on a repair as i dropped in on the way back from Uni so I am "pro" (early) rock in this regard, I actually had really good service until my machine went a bit shiv and I fell out of love with it.

It was mostly down to circumstance but in the golden age they really nailed listening to customers and stepping in to make things better. There was a real personal face with the sales team and technical team stepping in on the forum to get things done (when John didn't fix it) and the MD on call if that failed.

but then fat cats got fat and the rest is a big pile of sh1te. Never take on John at the internet, cstefan will have his back and only make you look like a bunch of see you next tuesdays.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 26 Apr 2012, 23:30

matt wrote:Never take on John at the internet, cstefan will have his back and only make you look like a bunch of see you next tuesdays.

:lol:

Should say also that another reason I went for Rock was because of their reputation for good customer and repairs service.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 27 Apr 2012, 08:01

my xti was ok and they upgraded the screen from lower res to 1920 screen on minimal cost
sold it after few good years
carln
Media Director
Media Director

Postby carln » 17 May 2012, 10:58

Hello all,

It's been AAAAAAAAAAAGES since I posted here but for some reason it popped into my head recently so I said I'd visit.

My Rock Xtreme that I bought in 2003 and had HUUUUGE problems with a faulty graphics card that was repaired in 04 is still working!! The battery is totally banjaxed though so I can't start it without a plug. I still use it from time to time when I fancy feeling the weight of a paving slab on my lap.

My sis bought an Xtreme at the same time and the screen went in 08 so we sent it back to be fixed and rock "fixed" it (quite expensively) and sent it back - it was a different colour when returned!!! :lol: . Anyway the replacement worked for about a month before the same thing happened and we sent it back again. The day after we posted it back Rock went bust, but I managed to get onto the delivery company to stop the delivery and return it to me. Got a local guy to check it out eventually and he said it might be the inverter but that at 5 years old she was as well to buy something new so it's now gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.

So that's the story of my Rock Xtremes:

1) Initial graphics card overheating solved and still going 9 years later but the battery is now fecked - I'd count that as a decent result
2) Initial graphics card overheating solved. Lasted 5 years. Paid for a repair. Broke a month later. - Five years isn't bad. I just wish we hadn't paid for the repair.

I'd love to hear if anyone else had an Xtreme!!!
PhilHibbs
Fish food
Fish food

Postby PhilHibbs » 29 May 2012, 15:02

carln wrote:I'd love to hear if anyone else had an Xtreme!!!

As far as I am aware, my old Xtreme is still running - I gave it away a couple of years ago and I've lost touch with the current owner.

Return to “Laptops”