Rock Computers

Discussion of all laptop related items
zia
Fish food
Fish food

Re: Rock Computers

Postby zia » 22 Sep 2008, 20:02

would not touch another rock laptop as long as i live :evil: :evil: ,utterly disgusted how they've took 7 month to repair my machine which i have yet to recieve back.

zia
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 22 Sep 2008, 20:37

I too very much doubt I would use Rock again they messed up my laptop repair and even broke my laptop even more and that was before the current problems following their recent downfall. Although I never say never so to speak but there would have to be one hell of an incentive to go back.
Y.N.W.A.
The Glue
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby The Glue » 23 Sep 2008, 08:18

zia, 7 months and counting!? No excuses for that and I don't blame you for feeling that way.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 23 Sep 2008, 09:11

The condition my laptop arrives back with me, supposedly before 12 today, will have a huge impact on if I every buy from Rock again.
Streak
Fish food
Fish food

Postby Streak » 23 Sep 2008, 17:12

I'd love to be able to buy a Rock as they have some pretty tempting machines and I'm actually looking to buy a new laptop in the new year, but and its a bigggg but, until they offer next day onsite repair warranties (a'la Dell xps) I can't take the risk, I'm going to be using it for work and will usually be working under tight deadlines so being without a machine for even 2-3 weeks would be a nightmare. If I remember correctly one of the Rock staff (might have been Ben) mentioned on the rockforum a while back that in the future they might be able to offer Stone's existing onsite warranties. Lets hope they do, because until then I think a lot of people won't take the risk. My only option at the moment is a Dell XPS.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Sep 2008, 18:08

I think Rock need an onsite warranty now that way they have an advantage over other companies selling the same chassis and give people reason to go to them. It's probably going to take a bit of time before they can think if offering that though as it seems they've still got quite a bit of work on transitioning to Stone.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 24 Sep 2008, 21:21

Their new 17" machine just won editors choice in T3 magazine this month about the alienware 17" model!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Sep 2008, 21:36

Doesn't really say much , I assume it's a Clevo that can be bought elsewhere and magazines rarely give any regard to anything longterm about the machine such as customer service or reliability.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 25 Sep 2008, 11:28

might be a kick ass system but rock support is still crap at the minute
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 29 Sep 2008, 11:41

To update my previous view with a massive

F U C K N O!!!!

will report more later.

Advocate no happy.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 04 Oct 2008, 08:49

I was bored this morning so I thought I would take a peek over at their forum.

Boy what a hellhole Rock has become - a dire litany of tales of woe about broken promises and broken laptops and all you hear from Rock seems to be one excuse after another thats if they bother to reply at all.

Its a pity to see this (especially as they are one of the few British companies) as I had some good times on their forum and Ben was outstanding with his help and customer service - a pity some of their backroom staff and engineers werent so great.

I am sorry to say that at present, ROCK + Customer Service = FAIL on a truly epic scale it seems.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 04 Oct 2008, 13:39

haha, where as techpond + john = EPIC WIN!!!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2011, 01:16

Whatever happened to Rock? I was reading a topic on another forum about whether you'd ever been banned from a forum which of course reminded of the rockforum as it's the only one I've been banned from so thought I'd have a look and the place seems pretty much completely dead. Actually looking at the Stone site seems to answer that question, they don't seem to link to rockdirect nor sell any DTRs on the main or have a link to the forum.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 19 Oct 2011, 08:41

I got my computer repaired by them a few months ago, which was good enough apart from changing my card from a 9800GT to a 8800GTX, but I guess repair work is covered by the Stone group. Looking at their products at the time, they seemed not to have the latest technology when compared to the likes of Kobalt, but not too badly priced. Their page hasn't changed at all since then. But that has always been the case with them, they keep the same products and prices for ages, so quickly get behind and become uncompetitive. They're probably still ticking over, but I haven't seen anyone with a new computer from them since... erm, me!

EDIT: What the hell has happened to Kobalt?! Is this old news, and I'm completely behind?!
Last edited by Tappy on 19 Oct 2011, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 19 Oct 2011, 10:14

kobalt turned their back on techpond after Rock had a go at them on here.
An unfortunate demise ;)

have a google for techpond and you should find the thread where the kobalters ready arms to fight the techers!

Return to “Laptops”