Rock Computers

Discussion of all laptop related items
vectorious

Rock Computers

Postby vectorious » 20 Sep 2008, 21:37

Would people on this board still shop at Rock or has their customer service dropped away too much? I have seen a lot of bad things about them recently, but I don't know how much is history.
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Re: Rock Computers

Postby FatIan » 20 Sep 2008, 21:52

Personally until their support nightmares are sorted out I would not be buying from them. I may consider them again if Stones promises to turn Rock around are fulfilled.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 20 Sep 2008, 22:39

I would not buy anything from them again. The exact same problems and poor service remains. When I went on the forum the other day I could not believe people were still being told their 665s had been fixed to then learn weeks later they had not even had orders placed for the parts.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Sep 2008, 22:48

Not at the moment, while I appreciate they are still transitioning to being part of Stone I don't think the way people have been treated is even remotely acceptable. Rock always boasted that their warranty was insurance backed which meant if the company went bust the warranty would still be hounoured, additionally when Rock went bust they were still claiming everything would be fine for repairs under Stone. Neither way seems to be really working out as people seem to be without their machine for months on end, while it's not a business warranty there's still no excuse for that.

I hope they do get themselves sorted out and makes some strong moves to sort out all the damage done to the Rock name over the last few months but I can't see it.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
cheesem0nster
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby cheesem0nster » 20 Sep 2008, 22:58

At the moment I wouldn't purchase from Rock. However if everything gets sorted out in the furture, then I would consider purchasing from them. However it would depend on my computing needs at that stage, and I don't think a Rock laptop would be right for me from my chnaging needs.
Macbook Pro 15" (2009), Xbox 360, PS3
http://www.andrewstone.org
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby mrtoddie » 20 Sep 2008, 23:44

Well for what its worth I will be working my hardest with the guys and girls at stone to get rock back on track.

(Yeah they have girls at Stone................. :iminlove:)

:rolleyes:
Yeah!
henrybutt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby henrybutt » 21 Sep 2008, 09:33

Lol @ mrtoddie :)

I need to get around to booking my CTX in again to get the damage fixed that was caused last time it was in... and fix the keyboard which has a faulty key!
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | Asus P6T Mobo | 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM | 1TB Samsung HDD (7200rpm) | Zotac GTX 275 | Aerocool Touch V12 Fan controller | Corsair H50 Cooler | Lian Li PC60FW Case | Sony Blu-Ray Reader
Macbook Pro 13
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 21 Sep 2008, 11:56

I need to get round to sorting my DVD drive which refuses to read discs beyond a certain point, which is fun. As well as the keyboard issue which Rock are apparently still denying even exists!
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 21 Sep 2008, 12:04

On the new machines the stock problems are probably not so much of a problem. There was a suggestion that stone would be offering a business - on site support for laptops. After reading peoples tails of support I would definitely put the next day repairs as top of the list to consider.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 21 Sep 2008, 12:56

I might consider them in the future. I think ill leave it a few years, the current range are pretty well speced but not very pretty, but I want to leave it a while to see what happens to the company
Dax_Inside
Fish food
Fish food

Postby Dax_Inside » 21 Sep 2008, 15:03

the way i see it, there are several companys offering almost the exact same products for very simular money. Why would anyone take the risk of buying from Rock when there doesnt seem to be any advantage of them over another company?

I dont believe people should consider brand loyalty. Buy what makes sense at the time. These Companys arnt charaties, you dont owe them anything becuase they treated you well before.

I probably seem like an ungreatfull git considering my Rock laptop worked perfectly, but thats the world we live in :P
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 22 Sep 2008, 10:15

Reserving judgement until I get my laptop back from repair.....
The Glue
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby The Glue » 22 Sep 2008, 16:58

lol Advocate, that sums it up for a lot of people.

My laptop broke inside 10 months but to be fair, was repaired quickly and I had it back inside of 3 weeks. Until the remaining horror stories are resolved I would stay away, but hope to get a Rock sometime in the future. I still like the brand.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 22 Sep 2008, 18:27

To be fair to Rock, the complaints on their forum are in the most part about two issues, the 665 GPU replacement débacle and the 670 keyboard problem. Others machines went AWOL when the company went in to administration and support ground to a halt temporarily during/after the move to Stone's premises.
Rock's poor communication with those affected and their glacial speed in addressing people's problems have been a PR disaster, but it seems Stone have now appreciated that the company they bought needs good press, and have made real efforts to get things back on track. Whether they would have done so without PCPro's Watchdog intervention is a question we can ponder.
Anyhow, it seems to me that we are close to problems being resolved and normal service being resumed, so I would consider buying from Rock again, based on whether or not they have a product I want at a price I like. At the minute though, gaming laptops are so far behind desktops that I am not the least bit tempted by any manufacturer's 'high-end' machines.
henrybutt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby henrybutt » 22 Sep 2008, 19:45

I actually found a rock brochure in my school today which was a little suprising... it was ripped into pieces mind you...
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | Asus P6T Mobo | 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM | 1TB Samsung HDD (7200rpm) | Zotac GTX 275 | Aerocool Touch V12 Fan controller | Corsair H50 Cooler | Lian Li PC60FW Case | Sony Blu-Ray Reader
Macbook Pro 13

Return to “Laptops”