very nice specs for the money
saw it this morning on hukd :D
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Re: EeePC

Postby peted76 » 01 Jul 2008, 17:11

Shameless plug from the Salmon pond ..

I've come into the possesion of a brand new EeePC in Black, it's supposed to be box damaged, but on inspection, I think this is a little fussy as there doesn't seem to be hardly any damage on the box at all and the EeePC is spanking.

It's the 701 and has 4GB SSD HDD and Linux.

Before I stick it on E-Buy, does anyone here want first dibs on it?
£165 delivered, cheapest I can see is over £210 online - bargain.
Paypal payment or cheque is fine.
User of Asus G1 | Asus W5F | IBM T43p | PCMCIA MoGo | MX518 | Logitech Z-10 | USB controlled foam missile launcher | PSN: peted76 | Steam: garabug2
www.techpond.co.uk the UK's number 1 tech discussion forum
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 07 Jul 2008, 22:08

Has anyone thought about the Eee 1000/1000H?

I have seen the XP version on sale for little more than the 900 & 901, and it has a mechanical HDD.

Do you think the size defeats the purpose of these devices?

Eee 901 on the left, Eee 1000H on the right
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Bryn
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Bryn » 08 Jul 2008, 03:52

DaveG wrote:Do you think the size defeats the purpose of these devices?

I have started to see the irony in it all...the tiny wee netbooks that are slooowwly growing.

Reckon we'll see an EEE-9000 in a couple of years?
Dell XPS M1330 - T7500 / 8400M GS / 2GB / 250GB / WLED / Intel-N / 9 Cell
--------------------
C2Q Q6600 / 512MB 8800GTS / 2GB OCZ / 580GB / X-Fi
Dr Who
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Dr Who » 08 Jul 2008, 10:19

DaveG wrote:
Do you think the size defeats the purpose of these devices?

Yes. I want one so that I can take one about town at work, without being weighed down by even a 12" laptop and charger. So smaller and lighter the better with at least 4 hours of battery connected to wifi. There are loads of cheap 15" laptops at the £300 mark.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 08 Jul 2008, 11:24

So since the 901 is more or less the size of a 900, and that it has the 6600mAh battery, would we say that this is the optimal Eee now?

The 701 still wins on price, but there's virtually no storage (without sticking in a SDHC card) and it actually has less real world battery life than the 901, and I guess it has less computational performance.
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 08 Jul 2008, 12:08

DaveG wrote:So since the 901 is more or less the size of a 900, and that it has the 6600mAh battery, would we say that this is the optimal Eee now?

The 701 still wins on price, but there's virtually no storage (without sticking in a SDHC card) and it actually has less real world battery life than the 901, and I guess it has less computational performance.

I love my 900 but would like to see it offered with a less grainy screen. The screen is the only thing which hinders my enjoyment of the machine. So a 901 with a more crisp display would be better still.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 15 Aug 2008, 15:59

finally today I got around to installing windowsXP on my Eee900. I have nothing against the supplied version of Linux, especially once I had unlocked the full KDE desktop, but I am supposed to be teaching my wife to use a PC and windows is what she is supplied with on both her notebook and office machines.
I began by downloading Nlite, an excellent utility which allows one to pare away the useless parts of the Windows installation. With this I used my Rock recovery CD supplied with my XTi. The Rock is 99% door-stop now and it seemed daft to pay again for something I already own. I cut the size of the ISO down to about 350mb but for an expert I am certain there was a lot more fat that could be trimmed.
A brief glance at the Asus manual payed off as two changes needed to be made to the bios prior to a Windows installation. Fortunately Asus manual walks you through them, so I can't imagine anybody getting tripped up at this stage. However during the install all existing partitions need to be deleted, so I can imagine people forgetting to partition their second HD at this point; I almost did!
Once it was up and running (I am using a USB DVD player, an LG model bought from Amazon for about £50), the install took a little over half an hour and went without a hitch. Once that was done I also installed all the drivers for the laptop which Asus helpfully supply on disk with a very straightforward installer program. That probably took a further 15 minutes.
I now have a very nice looking ultraportable WindowsXP machine in need of a firewall/virus suite and a lot of updating. I am currently using Avira on my desktop PC so for the time being have installed their 30 day trial of the same product on the Eee. If it isn't too much of a resource-hog I'll pay for the licence.
I was a little worried that when it came to activating windows, I might have a problem as this is a very different machine from the one the disk was originally supplied with, but it went just fine.
So whilst it sits and downloads service pack 3 and then Googlepack for it's Office suite and Picassa, I thought I'd write an update.

Faced with the option of smaller storage and windows or larger storage and Linux, go for the bigger storage option and dig out an old xp sp2 disk if you have one. If I can make it work, anybody can.

NB Should mention that with my install, I had to set the swapfile to 'none' on the C: drive to allow room for service pack 3 to install. I have currently set it to allow Windows to manage it's swapfile on the larger D: drive. This freed up an additional 1.5GB on the 4GB C: drive and stole a similar amount from the 15GB D:

When it was all updated and ready to go, I have 620mb free on 4gb C: and 13.4gb free on 15gb D:

Next project will be to install some games on the machine. I may see if I can install these to an additional SD card in the expansion slot so as not to further clog up the system's storage.

NB2 - Another top tip! Don't forget once the new OS is installed to re-enter the bios and set the OS-install setting back to 'Finished'. Else USB ports are set to USB1.0. Took me a whileto find the answer to that one.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Games working and playable on standard Eee900

Postby Roadshow » 16 Aug 2008, 20:50

Got MameClassic installed as a front end for Mame and have played Galaga and Pacman which feel as good as on any other machine. 1941 doesn't feel properly fluid, whilst moving up to 1943 and Galaga3 slows things down to the point where they are no fun to play. Whether that is the Eee or the emulator's failing I don't know.

As much as a proof of concept as anything else, I installed and played the GTA-alike Total Overdose, which is eminently playable at it's default 800x600. Bit of slow down here and there but not enough to annoy. Can't see me playing it through again on the little fellow, but it's great to see it with a 3D shooter just the same. The game being so small reminds me of playing on a handheld like psp, but otherwise good stuff.

Installed Steam and played Peggle. Have also installed the free Steam game Trackmania Nations, which looks spartan but plays well enough to earn a few gold medals at the Eee's native 1024x600. Will have to try it at 800x600 to see how much improvement that gives.

Really impressed so far. Wondering if investing in a ram upgrade to 2gb will help things along.

Playing World Of Goo on the Eee, like Mary Poppins and the game itself, is absolutely perfect in every way.

Return to “Laptops”