Are we all done with DTR's?

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Aug 2016, 02:35

When Robin was up north of the wall we were talking about the good old whatlaptop forum and then the rock forum plus of course all the DTR laptops many of us favoured at the time. There was a recent announcement that Nvidia would be packing their full blown graphics card in mobile format and dropping the M as these wouldn't be cut down parts:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/0 ... -gtx-1080/

I don't think anyone even mentioned this so I was wondering is anyone still using a DTR?

The XPS M1730 was the death blow to DTR's for me, it was too big, hot and pricey plus at that time the Core 2 Duos were getting a bit long in the tooth while the new desktop only core i7's offered a substantial improvement in performance. I realise you could say that about most DTR's but the older XPS 2 struck a better balance, it's Pentium-m processor compared well against the struggling P4 and it didn't run too hot nor was it too heavy. Sadly all the laptops died mostly from their GPUs (Dell 8600, XPS 2, XPS M1710, XPS M1730) but that core i7 desktop is not just in daily use but still used for high end gaming with my brother, the machine I replaced the desktop with has just had a round of upgrades and running faster than it's ever done before.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 23 Aug 2016, 09:54

I've sure I've said it in other places on here, but since my site-based life went, so did the DTR. And I'm sure that if I still had that life, I would still be using them.

I did find myself moving toward smaller machines toward the end of my DTR life because lugging a massive machine through airports was a pain (mostly due to the weight). I think I would probably get a Razer Blade type thingy if I were to get one now because it's rather compact - as opposed to some 4kg MSI Dragon.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 23 Aug 2016, 12:07

heh, I ditched my xt pro for a macbook + xbox 360 during the the end of uni and haven't looked back since. I don't have a man room so the xbox under the TV manages my needs these days.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 23 Aug 2016, 13:07

Funnily enough I think it was one of Johns posts on WhatLaptop that made me decide to get the FS Amilo before then switching over to the Rock XCT about a year later. I never really replaced the old Rock XCT.
There were major issues with it and at the time Nick just didn't seem to give a toss. The first one had parts of the chassis missing when delivered the second needed a replacement graphics card and I got fed up with all of his BS about customer care. I just never got any unless I jumped up and down.

After this I downsized to the M1330 which I loved and was probably my most favourite laptop ever and despite Dell being slagged off by many back then I have to say their next day on site repair guys were fantastic.

Since then I have largely stopped gaming as the communities I used to game with slowly disappeared.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Aug 2016, 17:21

I still have my GS60 ghost. It has a GTX 870m in it, but still only 22mm thin. It really is best of both worlds, and allows me to game on medium - high settings on the go should i need to. I think my next machine would have a GTX 1070 or 1170 in it for bang for buck and thermals! As, although i dont game much, I really do love having the ability at xmas or easter to game at the in laws. and have the ability to speedily compile youtube videos!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2016, 01:57

Tappy wrote:Source of the post I've sure I've said it in other places on here, but since my site-based life went, so did the DTR. And I'm sure that if I still had that life, I would still be using them.

I did find myself moving toward smaller machines toward the end of my DTR life because lugging a massive machine through airports was a pain (mostly due to the weight). I think I would probably get a Razer Blade type thingy if I were to get one now because it's rather compact - as opposed to some 4kg MSI Dragon.

I did wonder the same in that if things were different would I want to go back to a DTR as my old faithful Dell Inspiron 8600 (perhaps not quite a DTR but starting on the road there) had a lot of use on the move as I was travelling for around four hours a day on the train so the 8600 was well employed playing DVDs or games. Also working for a gaming company meant no problem playing PC games during a lunch break or in the evening whereas working for a medical company is a little different.

Still, I'm not sure I would want a DTR in those circumstances - laptops seem to increasingly want to be too thin and have inadequate cooling, I was surprised on the ARStechnica article they were wanting a thin 14in laptop with a 1060 whereas that sounds horrible to me. Many sites hugely praised the new Dell XPS 13 but I bought and returned it, one of the main reasons being that even though it only had an onboard graphics card and ulv processor it ran hot and the fan was irritating. Plus the performance gap to desktops has increased and desktop monitors are a lot better than they used to be, I feel my desktop takes a while to do video encoding but then when I use other machines I forget it's still a very, very fast machine despite its age and tend to just leave the video encoding for it.

I do still look at current DTR's but never really seriously tempted, I think it's partially as I miss those days.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2016, 02:04

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Funnily enough I think it was one of Johns posts on WhatLaptop that made me decide to get the FS Amilo before then switching over to the Rock XCT about a year later. I never really replaced the old Rock XCT.
There were major issues with it and at the time Nick just didn't seem to give a toss. The first one had parts of the chassis missing when delivered the second needed a replacement graphics card and I got fed up with all of his BS about customer care. I just never got any unless I jumped up and down.

After this I downsized to the M1330 which I loved and was probably my most favourite laptop ever and despite Dell being slagged off by many back then I have to say their next day on site repair guys were fantastic.

Since then I have largely stopped gaming as the communities I used to game with slowly disappeared.

I'm not taking the blame for an Amilo! How many posts were there on WL about those machines overheating, were they the A64 ones? I'm sure there are archives with some actual posts but here's a little nostalgia anyway:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051204110 ... orumID=220

I'd love to know what was going on behind that site as they very rarely came onto the forum but they really missed a lot of opportunity there, for whatever reason they had a good number of people coming through the forum and many who stayed around yet it always seemed abandoned and then of course just disappeared completely one day.

Obviously I completely agree with you on the XPS m1330 which I think was one of the most popular laptops amongst us as I'm sure there were quite a few on the go at one point. Dell struck a good balance all round in making a fairly small and light laptop but still a decent amount of power, I was really disappointed and surprised they never really followed it up as the XPS 1340 wasn't that great from what I remember.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2016, 02:24

Did a little more digging and found this, I didn't realise we had this site up before WL forum had died:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080514122 ... tID=202015

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2016, 02:27

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2016, 02:27

Tappy

Postby Tappy » 24 Aug 2016, 09:32

That's a point, the fan noise. I find it really annoying now. Mrs T had a XPS17 i5 or i7 thing (I can't remember the model) and that would just make an absolute racket. So when I got her a Surface Pro 4, I made sure it was the one without the fan! No performance issues for what she uses it for either.

I, too, had an M1330. What a fine little beastie.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 24 Aug 2016, 09:40

To be fair, i use my tablet an awful lot these days for content. But sometimes, you just need that grunt!

The razer core style products seem interesting. 14" laptop with an external GTX 1080p GPU for when you're at home/need grunt.

Linus explains here.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 24 Aug 2016, 11:22

I am kind of interested in these...

j
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 Aug 2016, 15:02

It would appear that Ras or MAtt has hacked John's account.
Yeah it was an A64 Amilo and mine ran really well but then got blown away by the XCT (when it worked).

I pretty much spend all my computing time on the Surface Pro 3 these days which is an incredibly versatile machine. Been thinking about a desktop build though as my current one is years out of date!
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 Aug 2016, 16:20

Replicant wrote:Source of the post It would appear that Ras or MAtt has hacked John's account.

Maybe just one too many Irn-Brus. :drunk3:

Return to “Laptops”