Are we all done with DTR's?

Discussion of all laptop related items
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 02 Sep 2016, 11:57

lol John at +1s
no laptop for me in a long time, being office based there is no point for a DTR or even a slim one
I like now the silent/small desktops
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Sep 2016, 18:48

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post To be fair, i use my tablet an awful lot these days for content. But sometimes, you just need that grunt!

The razer core style products seem interesting. 14" laptop with an external GTX 1080p GPU for when you're at home/need grunt.

Linus explains here.

I think these external graphics card systems are impressive and I've been very tempted to give the Dell version a go with their 13in laptop as I've seen some decent ones on the outlet however the high price of the graphics amplifier (around £200 by memory) was off putting particularly as it was more a play thing.

What's quite exciting is that the potential is there to have a generic external graphics card solution using Thunderbolt, Apple were the ones so far that have mainly supported Thunderbolt but there's a lot more support now for the recent version. The new XPS 12 tablet has a couple of TB ports so the idea of being able to come home and stick a cable in that to hook it up to a beefy GPU, monitor and storage etc. is quite cool.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Sep 2016, 19:14

Tappy wrote:Source of the post That's a point, the fan noise. I find it really annoying now. Mrs T had a XPS17 i5 or i7 thing (I can't remember the model) and that would just make an absolute racket. So when I got her a Surface Pro 4, I made sure it was the one without the fan! No performance issues for what she uses it for either.

I, too, had an M1330. What a fine little beastie.

Is that the Core-m version of the Surface Pro 4? I see there's a cashback deal on it at the moment and I'm still a bit tempted to try one out, the Core-m gets a lot of criticism but I really like it for the balance of performance and power usage as it can run silent but still offers decent performance for general use, better than an Atom while I feel the ULV processors run a lot hotter and performance from them isn't great anyway.

I have a Dell Latitude 12 E7240 and my work laptop is a Lenovo X230, both are almost identical machines in that they're business class 12in laptops with a decent array of ports, socketed ram, replaceable batteries etc. but one key difference is that the Dell uses a 4th generation ULV Core i5 while the Lenovo has an older third generation non-ULV Core i5. The Dell is thinner and makes the Lenovo look a little chunky but the Lenovo is still a compact machine and very portable, I've had it since the X230 was new out and every day it has come to work with me and I often carry it around with me at work as well.

The reason I mention these two is the staggering difference in fan noise - the Lenovo's older Ivybridge 35W processor has twice the TDP of the Dell's newer ULV processor and the Dell also benefits from an architecture better optimised for power consumption. Clearly the Dell should be a lot quieter but it's the other way round, the Lenovo runs mostly silent and when the fan is running it's more like a quiet rush of air while the Dell has a noticeable and irritating fan noise most of the time. It's bad enough that I regret buying it and now mostly use the Core-m powered Latitude 13 I got for about half the price.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 03 Sep 2016, 22:00

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postThe new XPS 12 tablet has a couple of TB ports so the idea of being able to come home and stick a cable in that to hook it up to a beefy GPU, monitor and storage etc. is quite cool.

Wasn't a similar idea panned here with the Sony and its last Z series doing the same/similar thing? Or was that external GPU not up to scratch?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Sep 2016, 11:02

robbo wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postThe new XPS 12 tablet has a couple of TB ports so the idea of being able to come home and stick a cable in that to hook it up to a beefy GPU, monitor and storage etc. is quite cool.

Wasn't a similar idea panned here with the Sony and its last Z series doing the same/similar thing? Or was that external GPU not up to scratch?

Sony did produce an external graphics card over Thunderbolt but there was only ever a single graphics card option which was a fairly weak AMD GPU (making it fairly pointless although the dock was very sleek compared to the massive ones for AW, Razer, MSI etc.) and it was an odd implementation of Thunderbolt which used a USB port rather than a mini-DP so it only worked with the Vaio it was intended for. The system worked fine technically but oddly Sony decided to dump it afterwards I guess because hardly anyone bought it because it wasn't that useful and extortionately expensive (£400+ I think for the basic one, over £500 for the blu-ray version).

John
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 05 Sep 2016, 10:04

Johnmcl7 wrote:Is that the Core-m version of the Surface Pro 4? I see there's a cashback deal on it at the moment and I'm still a bit tempted to try one out, the Core-m gets a lot of criticism but I really like it for the balance of performance and power usage as it can run silent but still offers decent performance for general use, better than an Atom while I feel the ULV processors run a lot hotter and performance from them isn't great anyway.

Yes, the Core-m. I have no idea what advanced performance is like, she just watches tv-series and plays Windows Store or Facebook games, but the OS never ever goes sluggish despite lots of things going on (like would happen with the Atom I had - with Windows Vista / 7 tbf).
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Sep 2016, 01:52

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Is that the Core-m version of the Surface Pro 4? I see there's a cashback deal on it at the moment and I'm still a bit tempted to try one out, the Core-m gets a lot of criticism but I really like it for the balance of performance and power usage as it can run silent but still offers decent performance for general use, better than an Atom while I feel the ULV processors run a lot hotter and performance from them isn't great anyway.

Yes, the Core-m. I have no idea what advanced performance is like, she just watches tv-series and plays Windows Store or Facebook games, but the OS never ever goes sluggish despite lots of things going on (like would happen with the Atom I had - with Windows Vista / 7 tbf).

The new Baytrail Atoms do perform quite well under Windows 8/10 but there's still the occasional sluggishness whereas I think Core-m strikes a really nice balance in that they're still passively cooled and don't run that hot but they still have decent performance for day to day stuff. I've been impressed with the processor in my machine and prefer it over the core i5 ULV in its sibling as I don't find the higher performance ULV actually translates to anything usable as it's still rubbish in anything cpu intensive. Annoyingly the PC World model was a Core i5 one rather than Core-m one so didn't get to see the size/weight/heat of the Core-m but I don't think it's hugely smaller.

Have you had any sleep of death issues with the machine?

John

Return to “Laptops”