Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Alienware 13 - 13in laptop with external graphics support

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Oct 2014, 11:59

This looks an interesting PC:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-13/p ... IR&ref=hp1

It's a 13in laptop with an external graphics card, it has its own box and power supply allowing the PC to run with a top end graphics card. At the moment there only seems to be one configuration with a low power i5, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive and then either a 1366x768, 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 screen being the only options. The details on the external graphics card enclosure seem to be a bit thin on the ground, it's listed as an accessory so I assume it's not included but there's no mention of a price.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Alienware 13 - 13in laptop with external graphics suppor

Postby Tappy » 29 Oct 2014, 13:24

I like the idea, but I'm a bit... hmmmm... about it. As many articles point out, it's a pretty unique situation that this would be useful.

- You're a graphics enthusiast, so you want to upgrade the GPU in your laptop, but you will probably have a PC at home anyway cos you love dem grafix.

- You're travelling lots so you use a laptop. You want better graphics, but you're travelling, so you're unlikely to want to lug another box around.

- You're travelling and stay in the same place for a while, so you don't mind taking the graphics box along. All good. But if you're away from home so much, you're probably paid well, so just get a newer laptop!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 29 Oct 2014, 13:28

A variation on a DTR perhaps to try and get the best(ish) of both worlds?

A bit more info here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... ics-ampl/1
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Oct 2014, 13:46

That's a good link, £200 isn't actually bad for what it is although while I like the idea the more I think about it the more I realise there's no point in it for me as I have a high powered desktop already.

The desktop in that link is the replacement for the one I have, it's an odd design but I'm amused by the fact they've shown it alongside what I assume is the new 34in screen so it must be a huge PC. Looking at the internals it makes the graphics cards look fairly small when in reality I'm pretty sure those are big cards.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Oct 2014, 14:55

That monitor is that crazy widescreen one, so the desktop is regular height really.

I say, with no reference point or dimensions to go by!

Really like the monitor though. Just wonder how much gaming support is out there for it.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Oct 2014, 15:36

I'm not sure the desktop is regular height, the 34in screen is the same height as my 27in monitor (roughly) and with the monitor at its lowest setting the PC is not as high and the Aurora is a big PC. In that picture the monitor is at a higher setting and the PC is still higher, this is the only photo I can find which sort of shows my setup:

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/Gener ... X&lb=1&s=A

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 29 Oct 2014, 15:45

MSI announced something similar a while ago, all be it a hell of a lot bulkier and with a less power laptop link. Its an interesting idea, I'm just not sure of the target market as Tappy has pointed out.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Oct 2014, 16:59

Ah ha, good photo! Right, so assuming your monitor is a 16:10, a bit of trig would put the screen height at 14.3". The 34" screen is 21:9, so Mr Cosine tells me that it will be 13.4" tall and... yeah, even with that, the new case is big!

I'm sure I would have been better off just looking up dimensions, I mean these diagonal numbers are a bit approximate too!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Nov 2014, 12:54

Dell have the new PC up on their site:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd.aspx

Unsurprisingly prices are insane but I'm surprised how poor the spec is, there's no GTX 970/980's despite the fact they're much better cards than the older GTX 770/780's and on most configurations the only options are GTX 770's, 780's or bizarrely Titan Blacks (the hugely expensive GPU which is more there to show off) and there is a single option of triple 290x's on the top end £3,000 PC. The stock configurations only go up to 16GB although perhaps DDR4 is expensive.

John

Return to “Laptops”