Need a new laptop - nothing seems to hit the mark!

Discussion of all laptop related items
robbo
100th member
100th member

Re: Need a new laptop - nothing seems to hit the mark!

Postby robbo » 28 Aug 2014, 00:06

Replicant wrote:Robbo, you could go for the heavily discounted Surface Pro 2 but this does not have Office installed. The Surface 2 (RT and even cheaper) does have this installed.

Yeah, the Surface 2 is tempting too. I use Spotify quite a bit and there's no official app for that yet (and from what I've seen there's an unofficial one but it only plays playlists) so little things like that are turning me off the RT version (even though the built in Office and good desktop IE11 could be a boon). Suppose I could turn on my laptop to listen to music but that kinda defeats the relative all-in-one I'm looking for. At the Microsoft store I can only see a 512GB Surface Pro 2 which is cheaper on offer on student than student but that's still a grand.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Aug 2014, 08:28

scarbunny wrote:Okay, a few tweaks and the touchpad is bearable, I've tweaked some settings to try and get autocorrect to work, fiddled with the chrome://flags settings for autocorrect but still nothing. Not sure if my issues with the touchpad is mainly due to how good the Macbook touchpads are, everything else sort of pales in comparison.

So the actual laptop is in mint condition, fully boxed, all the protective films still in place. The hardware is lovely, solid and light, the keyboard has a nice feel, the layout is a little odd, the return key is half size and they have stuck a specific # key in above it which could be annoying.

Yeah the touchpad isnt amazing, especially compared with my alienware. But turn off the gestures and its better. The steel series keyboard is actually quite impressive. nice travel on the keys, minimal flex. But its the gaming where this machine excels! 21mm thin, but still murdering crysis or titanfall. Granted the GTX 870m will struggle on extreme, but watchdogs looks beautiful on it!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 28 Aug 2014, 09:12

robbo wrote:Yeah, the Surface 2 is tempting too. I use Spotify quite a bit and there's no official app for that yet.

Could you just use a different service? Sounds as if Spotify have failed if they don't support Windows and thus no longer deserve your custom.

I'm in a harsh mood this morning...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 Aug 2014, 11:09

Yeah, I could do but while I'm still getting premium for a fiver a month (which might end come October) I'll stick with it.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Sep 2014, 12:22

Don't know if I want to keep the MSI Ghost, it's a lot of money, and it's loud while gaming, and I don' know how much gaming I will do on it as I still kinda prefer consoles, and it's not a Macbook, and because it's not a Macbook I have to be careful about viruses and malwear and all that bollocks which is a pain.

But its less than £200 more than a basic Macbook and it is as nice as a Windows machine can be, and I've paid off the credit card I bought it on so getting a refund might be a faf.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 08 Sep 2014, 12:32

I love it! It wooshes more than whirs under load, but it cant get loud when gaming with that wooshing! I was surprised to get 6 hours out of it web surfing at the weekend! I used to get 1hr 45 on my alienware! I'm gutted that destiny isnt out on pc, as i wanted to test that GTX 870m out! If you dont game, refund it and get an ultrabook with i5. half the price. But if you think you'll game on the move, its the right weight and power ratio! Destiny and GTA 5 both due soon! Tho you'll get those on console.

New macbooks announced tomorrow no doubt. And they're talking about a smidge of a price cut if they havent already.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Sep 2014, 13:06

EviL Ras wrote:I love it! It wooshes more than whirs under load, but it cant get loud when gaming with that wooshing! I was surprised to get 6 hours out of it web surfing at the weekend! I used to get 1hr 45 on my alienware! I'm gutted that destiny isnt out on pc, as i wanted to test that GTX 870m out! If you dont game, refund it and get an ultrabook with i5. half the price. But if you think you'll game on the move, its the right weight and power ratio! Destiny and GTA 5 both due soon! Tho you'll get those on console.

New macbooks announced tomorrow no doubt. And they're talking about a smidge of a price cut if they havent already.

I played GTA 5 a year ago so not bothered about that, and I really couldn't care less about Destiny. However there are plenty of PC games I want to play and it gives me something to do rather than watch Eastenders. However this is for gaming on the sofa as I don't travel much and when I do its generally frowned upon to sit in a hotel room and game, although I was thinking of taking it on holiday with us if I kept it, bigger screen for films than the iPad, and a card reader for emptying cameras.

I doubt there will be a Macbook announcement tomorrow, the Macbooks recently got a speed bump and small price cut.

I'll probably keep it
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Sep 2014, 21:42

I don't see why you need to be careful about malware and viruses, never had any on any of my Windows PC's for as long as I can remember and it's not because I'm super cautious with my PC's. I find Security Essentials does a good job quietly in the background (it's found plenty of malware when working with other people's data), I leave UAC enabled, ensure Windows is updated and don't install dodgy software.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Sep 2014, 23:35

What John says.

Don't know how some people have so much crap on their machines. Security Essentials is all I've used for years. Guessing they don't uncheck the tick boxes that want you to install toolbars and other 'freewares' when installing (dodgy) software and I wonder if some of those illegal movie streaming sites make you click an ad/codex warning and unknowingly download something.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 10 Sep 2014, 09:23

I'm just being a little paranoid I think, I was running Avast! but that was a spammy annoying piece of software so that's gone and have gone back to trusty Security Essentials, it's protected my missus' machine for many years with out any major issues. I guess I just need to be more careful when acquiring movies.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Sep 2014, 09:45

just use yify-torrents website. never have an issue getting films from there.

I still use Avast! i used to use AVG until it flagged bioshock 2 as a virus.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Sep 2014, 14:16

EviL Ras wrote:just use yify-torrents website. never have an issue getting films from there.

I still use Avast! i used to use AVG until it flagged bioshock 2 as a virus.

Got to be careful there you see! yify-torrents.com is blocked on Virgin but a few places down on a search for the site is yify-torents.com (one r in torrent) which looks the same but overlays a popup that asks you to download a Media Player update! If you click cancel then you're taken back to the search page. Not tried clicking Install...

And yeah, used to get a few false positives with AVG free when I used it years ago too.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Sep 2014, 15:13

I have a vpn client. lets me in good from holland!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 22 Sep 2014, 11:51

scarbunny wrote:Don't know if I want to keep the MSI Ghost, it's a lot of money, and it's loud while gaming, and I don' know how much gaming I will do on it as I still kinda prefer consoles, and it's not a Macbook, and because it's not a Macbook I have to be careful about viruses and malwear and all that bollocks which is a pain.

And it's going back, just can't live with it. It's too noisy to try and game while my missus is watching TV, the track pad is unbearable, Windows 8 just doesn't work in any way that I want it to. If the machine was closer to £8-900 I could maybe live with it but not at £1200. Not sure why I feel the need to justify it, I gave it a solid month and couldn't get on with it.

Now to chose which Macbook to buy, the 13" or the 15" or I could do a complete U-turn and get a 13" Air, or do I use the money that's already spent as a deposit on the to of the line 15" Macbook with retina and then put my pay rise to good use financing the difference?
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Jan 2015, 00:17

Return to “Laptops”