Asus Tranformer Trio

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Asus Tranformer Trio

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Nov 2013, 15:51

Sony have been producing some interesting hardware designs for Windows 8 taking advantage of the touch screen, I noticed Asus have something a little different themselves:

http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incred ... book-trio/

It's an evolution of their Android transformer line that seems to put a full blown Ultrabook into the keyboard dock so when the keyboard is attached you have a standard Haswell Ultrabook running Windows 8 but then when the keyboard is undocked, the device switches to an Atom processor running Android. It's not clear how all this works in practice as there seems little overlap in parts, the specs suggest both Android and Windows can use the keyboard, they obviously share the screen but I've no idea about the rest. Both devices have their own memory which I assume isn't accessible to the other but the Atom processor being an X86 device could run Windows as well giving a more power efficient option but I assume both processors are limited to their own operating system.

There's potentially some very clever things you could do such as detaching the screen but keeping the base running and connecting to it over rdp or similar allowing you to use the tablet like a lightweight device but with the much beefier performance of the Haswell processor.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Asus Tranformer Trio

Postby UKIan » 03 Nov 2013, 17:47

Odd. I'm not sure I can see the point.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 03 Nov 2013, 22:35

I think I can. I have a desktop for work which really only does word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing/research database searches and imaging (MRI/x-ray etc) viewing. I also have a laptop to do all the above when in satellite clinics. I have an android tablet that I use for youtube, iplayer etc., google docs, browsing and diary. This one device could, in theory, replace them all. However, my experience with Asus on the TF101 and the way they handled the OS upgrade that made it virtually unusable puts me off.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 04 Nov 2013, 10:23

That is a rather innovative use of a tablet - the tablet is a monitor, but the monitor runs Android! It would require a different mind set: that when you pop the tablet off the docking station, it's then a different device!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Nov 2013, 22:29

I have had my eye on this for a while.

I think I want one.

J
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 05 Nov 2013, 22:33

Nope, not getting it. Well ok, I am, but it seems like really separate devices glued together. It would make more sense to me if all the storage travelled with it (or perhaps just a large part of it) so you could work on your word document, and then just take the tablet and continue working on the word document.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 06 Nov 2013, 09:35

That is what dropbox is for, also google docs (or drive as it is now called).
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Return to “Laptops”