Rock Is Dead.

Discussion of all laptop related items
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Rock Is Dead.

Postby mrtoddie » 30 Oct 2012, 01:14

Yep that's right, Stone Group have dropped Rock...

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/1 ... _murdered/

Glad I was some part of it but also not lol :slap:
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Rock Is Dead.

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Oct 2012, 03:02

I like the title:

Gamers not as flush as they used to be

Nothing to do with the poor website, very small range of generally out of date laptops and a dead forum. I was browsing the Rock forum and site a few weeks ago and actually assumed they'd killed off Rock some time ago as the site looked so out of date and the forum completely dead.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 30 Oct 2012, 18:34

I have to agree John - The laptop equivalent of abandonware.
Y.N.W.A.
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 30 Oct 2012, 20:32

Surprisingly enough, somebody noticed the unmourned passing.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 30 Oct 2012, 22:55

My Peg 335 is just about lumbering on... Come to think of it, my mum has a new laptop now. What to do with an aging laptop?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Oct 2012, 03:40

I tried to register on that site to post my own comment however I didn't like the mandatory questions about employment and couldn't be bothered putting in false details - seems daft having to do all that just to post a comment.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 15 Sep 2013, 23:36

Right, thinking of seeing if I can get xp back running on my Peg 335 and using it as a tv in my room with the usb tv tuner that got bundled with it. Can't find a driver for it for anything later than xp even though it must be a generic unit hence me going down this route - trying to make use of a practically dead laptop.

Now, can't find any old recovery discs so to the dark side it is...
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Sep 2013, 09:26

Silly question: Was it a digital TV tuner?
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 16 Sep 2013, 10:55

Yep, a digital tuner (dvb-t) - never used to work where I live as the digital tv signal was so weak (but checked it out at a mate's and it worked fine - even recording programmes) but recently it seems the signal has been boosted as when I had a tv in a my room it was picking up a fair few digital channels from a small indoor aerial.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 16 Sep 2013, 13:39

Right, may have borked my peg...

After a failed attempt with wintoflash (the dvd drive is broke although I think it still reads cds) I tried installing xp via usb with rufus. Install seemed to go ok, rebooted but asked for usb drive again. So I put it in and the whole install went again, and now after a reboot the laptop hangs at the bios screen. Detects hard disk (pri master capable and status OK) but doesn't move on... So guessing it's not seeing the cdrom, although putting in a disc makes the drive whir. 'Usb controllers..done' it says.

Pressing F2 just changes the 'Press F2 to run setup' to Entering Setup but nothing else happens. Same for F12.

Is my Rock finally dead?
robbo
100th member
100th member

Rock Is Dead.

Postby robbo » 22 Aug 2015, 00:27

FFS! Old laptops!! Answering my own question in the previous post... Nearly!! :slap: :slap: :slap:

Finally got W7 to install on it using a new ssd but some of the keyboard keys don't work and need to find drivers for audio etc. Took keyboard out, reattached the ribbon, even fewer keys work! Tried again and back to only the j, u, and @ key not working. Think I might give up. Just want a basic laptop to use for a while whilst I reinstall w7 on my Sony, sell that and buy a new laptop. Might have to see if the ssd will speed up my netbook now. It was going to go in my Sony but just want a new laptop now. And been slightly put off the idea of a Surface 3 seeing how bad touch is on w10 compared to 8.1 touch (I know it was only on my slow Stream 7 but still...).
mrtoddie

Rock Is Dead.

Postby mrtoddie » 24 Aug 2015, 11:36

Are you sure you've seated the ribbon correctly??

Peg 665's were an arse to get the ribbon right sometimes.. :D
Yeah!
Replicant

Rock Is Dead.

Postby Replicant » 24 Aug 2015, 13:45

I dumped my piece of shiv XCT in the tip year ago. The most unreliable pc i have ever owned.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Rock Is Dead.

Postby robbo » 24 Aug 2015, 17:12

mrtoddie wrote:Source of the post Are you sure you've seated the ribbon correctly??

Peg 665's were an arse to get the ribbon right sometimes.. :D

I tried cleaning the ribbon, reseated it a few times, did the classic old cartridge gaming blow into the connector and then got annoyed and gave up. Might try again another time... I've never had a problem with the keyboard in the other times I've taken apart my 335. Felt like smashing it up at the time! Or throwing it into the bin. :D

Return to “Laptops”