Pegasus 665 bios loop

Discussion of all laptop related items
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Pegasus 665 bios loop

Postby sayed » 11 Jul 2012, 15:56

Good afternoon

Turned off the pegasus last night, no problem at all.

Turned it on this AM and had the nasty shock of being greeted with the bio loop. Screen is black.
Changed the CMOs battery, cleaned her out. It was only being used for web surfing and work.
It has had a 8600M GPU to replace the 7600go.

Found this on youtube illustrating it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdQQJim ... ure=hp_SLN

Googled and suggests of GPU or even CPU burn out. However, the corruption of BIOS has also been suggested? (http://www.notebookforums.com/t/232227/ ... ard-issues)

Your advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

Sayed
MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2009¦2.26GHz¦4GB¦500GB¦9400M¦WSXGA+
DEAD - Pegasus 665¦T7200 2GHz¦2GB¦250GB 5400rpm¦8600M GT 512MB¦WSXGA+¦Realtek HD¦VX Nano - XP
Ext 2.8TB HDD, Ipod 80GB, BB Bold
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Re: Pegasus 665 bios loop

Postby sayed » 11 Jul 2012, 23:09

Update:

Opened up the old girl, cleaned out the dust.
Tried re-seeting the RAM as well as swapping the sticks around.
Remove the large heatsink exposing both the GPU & CPU.
Removed the GPU & started the Peg 665, this time the screen was grey then resetting to follow the same loop.
Put everything back in & the problem reoccurs.

Thinking it's the BIO but I will have to get hold of a Floppy drive via USB to reflash the BIOS (http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9181).
DEAD - Pegasus 665¦T7200 2GHz¦2GB¦250GB 5400rpm¦8600M GT 512MB¦WSXGA+¦Realtek HD¦VX Nano - XP
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jul 2012, 02:06

I don't think I've come across a corrupted bios aside from a failed flashing attempt but my experience is far from exhaustive. Are you getting any beeps? My first thought would be to take the hard drive out to see if it makes any difference as checking the hard drive is usually one of the last parts of the POST, if you a different error that suggests it's getting pretty far. If not, I'd try taking the ram out entirely and see if that gets you beep codes or similar.

Other than that I can't suggest much as this is where having some form of diagnostic lights is useful (Dell laptop would flash the error code on the lock keys). I find in most cases when laptops aren't getting to POST it's the motherboard that's gone but again, I'm not claiming my experience to be definitive and it's mostly Dells and Lenovos.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby sayed » 12 Jul 2012, 12:01

Thanks John.

The sequence on turn on is the disc-drive engaging, then the hard-drive then one loud single beep while all 3, caps-lock/num-lock/scroll-lock lights flash just once. It then restarts with the same sequence.
Tried this without the hard-drive & again the same sequence as well as trying a Linux bootable CD.
All the while there is nothing on the screen, and there is no output on the DVI.

Tried it without RAM, and it would access the disc drive then the hard-disk then immediately restart. Same 3 lights would flash but no beep & a lot quicker restart loop.
It has 2 x 1GB RAM sticks so tried in different combinations inc. 1 stick only & again same sequence as the first.

I have the PDF motherboard P53IN0 guides but couldn't find anything regarding booting sequence etc. It is quite frustrating. And I have to agree with you John that my first thought was the motherboard as there was no post at all. Shame since the rest is working fine.

Sayed
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Jul 2012, 19:40

Any idea how much a cheap processor for that socket would set you back (Celeron or equivalent)? If it was dirt cheap it may be worth taking the machine apart and replacing the processor although it's a lot of work and I suspect possibly fruitless as the motherboard seems more likely. I agree it's frustrating though so may be worth a shot.

I do wish it was standard for machines to have a basic set of diagnostics as it doesn't need to be anything fancy, even using the three 'lock' keys is surprisingly handy.

John
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby sayed » 18 Jul 2012, 23:06

I couldn't agree more with regard to having basic diagnostics, but I think the difficulty with these machines e.g. uniwill chasis is difficultly in finding a FAQ or PDF motherboard guide. Unlike the Dells which has plenty of support.

The single flash of the 3 lock keys and reboot loop was quite the ominous sign and as thought, it is the motherboard...
Took it into the indie computer shop near my dad's work, his colleague had setup the SQL server. He took a look, replacing everything but the motherboard inc. the CPU as suggest. And well the only possibility was the motherboard. RIP Pegasus 665...
Incidentally he had a fujitsu-seimens that used exactly the same chassis with a similar fault. He was surprised it lasted this long though.

Thanks for your advice anyway John. Shame it can't be resurrected. Although I might try and source and new board and take it up as a project as it was otherwise perfect as a websurfer, for work, light gaming and streamer.

Sayed
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Jul 2012, 01:15

Even Dells are not great for diagnostics on their laptops, the desktops have a dedicated set of lights which cycle through the different state of the computer as it's booting. If it's successful the lights go out, if it fails then either you get an error code or if it couldn't do that you can see at exactly what point the machine failed. Very, very simple and very, very useful, I find it irritating that consumer machines rarely seem to have anything like that even the more pricey ones.

From what I recall Fujitsu-Siemens also used Uniwill models so that sounds about right that it was the same as yours. To be fair to Uniwill I find motherboard failures in laptops are very common with them and hard drive failures (due to the mechanical complexity of the drives and people moving them when powered up) are by far the most frequent problems I see in a variety of machines. There's so much integrated onto the motherboard now and if any one of those components go wrong, that can be the end of the motherboard unfortunately.

If you can work out which other models used that Uniwill chassis it's worth keeping an eye out for one with a damaged screen or similar if you can get it cheap, it would be useful experience stripping it down and putting it back together again and if it doesn't work you've not lost much. Well, you may lose your temper and a lot of patience as admittedly most laptop motherboards are a pain to get out.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 21 Jul 2012, 10:53

YAY! upgrade time??!!

+1...
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby sayed » 02 Aug 2012, 14:04

Thanks John.

I remember 2 of my friend's from back home had Fujitsu-Siemens laptops with the same chassis though whether also the same MOBO, will need to find out. I believe both had the same problem of their GPU burning out. I forgot to mention he wanted £100 (motherboard) + £79 (labour) replacing it - might as well go towards a new laptop. Given your advice I will look into motherboards and consider it as a DIY hobby.

I've got a Mac Book Pro 13" Matt, the Pegasus 665 was my (ancient) gaming rig. Possibly due a custom desktop instead... & a new mac book :D
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 02 Aug 2012, 19:18

i'm enjoying my new air :)
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby sayed » 26 Sep 2012, 22:25

matt wrote:i'm enjoying my new air :)

But my Macbook Pro is fine. Could do with a filthy gaming setup... though not sure I will have time anymore.

Return to “Laptops”