Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Nexus 7

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jun 2012, 20:41

So Google have finally announced their own tablet:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6048/goog ... t-official

An Asus produced Tegra 3 quad core 7in tablet with a 1280x800 IPS screen but at a bargain price which at first glance looks very good. I think it's too little, too late though as this feels like Google should have stepped in with a Nexus tablet on the Honeycomb launch. Also with Microsoft just having announced their much more impressive tablet it also makes this launch feel less impressive and I think omitting the microSD slot is a bad idea as it's one advantage over Apple devices particularly with the low cost of micro sd cards.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Google Nexus 7

Postby Fodder » 27 Jun 2012, 21:55

I think they are pushing cloud storage, doing away with the SD slot and having a miserly 8gb onboard would more or less force you be connected permanently.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jun 2012, 22:05

Yet they're not offering a 3G version? At least not initially.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 28 Jun 2012, 16:40

If only they could release that spec in a phone for the same money.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jun 2012, 16:57

The problem is that while people are buying lots of Android phones and using them online which nets money when they use google services, not so many people are buying Android tablets and worse yet not many are actually using them online apparently. So the Nexus 7 is being sold at cost price in the hope people snap them up and start using lots of Google services much the same idea as the Kindle Fire (although no idea if that is actually working, the initial figures from Amazon were not good) while the Nexus phones are sold at normal prices.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 30 Jun 2012, 17:14

True, I guess its the economics of supply and demand. I assume the Fire must be doing ok as this seems to be aimed squarely at it's market share.

Just been looking at the Device store is the US and the Galaxy Nexus works out at £225, would have bought it but even thought they will deliver to the UK for only $10 they won't accept payments from UK registered cards.

Tempted to try a "virtual credit card" but its a lot of effort.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Jul 2012, 00:16

Initially Amazon's profits took a hammering as they were subisidising the cost of the Fire with the expectation people would use it to buy more Amazon services which wasn't happening initially. However thinking about it I think they're bringing the Fire 2 over to Europe so it must be working out for them.

From reading about the Nexus 7 I will admit I'd be tempted to have a play with one but I know it's not a good idea as it wouldn't get enough use as I have the Note and it fulfills the tablet functionality for me.

John
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 02 Jul 2012, 20:22

My daughter waited in vain for the first Kindle Fire, though with the subsequent bad press and poor feedback from American friends her enthusiasm waned rapidly.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Jul 2012, 20:22

Posted this in other technology but more appropiate here.

"I know what you mean about 7inch not really being a step up. I have the Galaxy nexus with a 4.8inch screen (might not be as big as that).

But it's a nice in-between, and the browser would let me see a full webpage with no scrolling which is nice. Will also be good for my girlfriend and free the main PC up a bit more when she just wants to check stuff.

For the price, its almost impulse purchase too.

I loved my transformer when I had it, but just felt a bit unpolished, so keen to see what Jellybean is like. Plus, I'm a sucker for new shiny things.

j"

Return to “Laptops”