Microsoft announce their own tablet

Discussion of all laptop related items
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Microsoft announce their own tablet

Postby jurassicjim » 15 Aug 2012, 18:52

Wow, £200 and I would be very interested....

Going to get a Nexus 7 for my birthday I think.

j
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Aug 2012, 08:23

It can't be that cheap can it...? The Nexus 7 is only supposed to make a smigeon of profit, so the Surface would be selling at a heck of a loss.

I'm more suspect of it being Engadget setting up a fall so they can report, "haha, Microsoft double prices for Surface at the last minute and try to price match the iPad (which is magical)"

But then again, Microsoft haven't quashed the (potentially damaging) pricing rumours.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 16 Aug 2012, 14:04

low price = larger market share on launch = more attractive to developers = more space for OEM's to come in and do their own...

but...

how they heck will any OEM's be able to sustain that price if they want to make money? Their are margins on the ipad but they have an unusually high buying power / integration of supply chain surely?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Aug 2012, 02:00

If Microsoft do price it that low I can see why the OEMs are complaining as there is no way they can compete at that cost, it's certainly not the Ipad level Microsoft were originally claiming. It doesn't make much sense though as Microsoft don't seem to want to be in the hardware market so producing a tablet that OEMs can realistically match and make money on makes sense. Google's approach with the Nexus 7 is understandable as they've given the OEMs plenty of time but for whatever reason they haven't had the same success as with Android handsets so the cheap Nexus 7 should drive development support.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Oct 2012, 14:59

So, at £399 for the basic version, is anyone going to be getting a Surface? Not the hoped £200...
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 17 Oct 2012, 15:59

robbo wrote:So, at £399 for the basic version, is anyone going to be getting a Surface? Not the hoped £200...

No, happy with Galaxy Note 10.1, I use it daily
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 17 Oct 2012, 16:38

robbo wrote:So, at £399 for the basic version, is anyone going to be getting a Surface? Not the hoped £200...

Nope I'll just buy a new iPad.

If it had been £200 I would have bought one to see what its like, for £300 I would maybe have looked at it for an iPad alternative.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Oct 2012, 18:00

I don't have any sort of tablet and can't see a real use for me having one except for sofa surfing or as an extra gadget. Still interested in giving one a go though - maybe I would use it if I had the chance...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Oct 2012, 01:11

The price seems reasonable given the parts they're using, the coating seems quite fancy and the screen bonding technology they've used is pricy as it doesn't scale well price wise for larger tablet screens. It also comes with Office 2010 although I don't know how functional it is compared to the main X86 version.

That said I'm not interested as I don't really see the point of it at the moment when the ultralight Ivybridge machines seemed to be offering decent size/performance and of course full backwards X86 compatibility.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 18 Oct 2012, 10:08

Pre-ordered it. Yeah... I'm a bit predictable.

I did suspect (kinda) that it was going to price match the iPad (or in actual fact it's undercutting it by $100). I have enough fully fledged laptops and computers, I want something that will just work, like iOS, Android and WP. I'm not in the iTunes or Android ecosphere, so a Surface makes sense to me. I currently use the Sony Vaio P Series (with Windows 8) as my sofa computer, and that never does more than the basics (and these days it can't!) So I think the Surface RT will fill that role. I suppose the only disappointment is the lack of NFC.

Haven't ordered a touch case thingy, because I thought I'd be using it more as a tablet.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 18 Oct 2012, 10:48

may be nice for by friend depending on how nice/complete is outlook
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 27 Oct 2012, 23:37

So it turns out there's no Outlook for RT ... wtf? If it was good enough for phones, why not the Surface?

I don't buy that "not developed for ARM" excuse either.

I'll never quite fathom MS.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 01 Nov 2012, 10:26

I'm not particularly fussed on the mail program on Windows Phone, I find that a bit weak, but impressively, they've made Windows RT's effort even more lacklustre. I know RT is aimed very much at the consumer, but one of the main uses of RT will be to check mail, so give people the option to use something better if they need it. I only use Live Mail from the Essentials pack on the Desktop, but I can't even use that on RT, so I am forced back to the Windows 8 computer if I want to do more than send a simple email... like the complicated tasks of moving some emails into different folders faster than one at a time. Or have a full email history (despite selecting this option).

This being said, there a few things missing from Windows RT which could have been easily included, and I think much of this is a conscious effort to force businesses to get Windows 8, and therefore Office. That is their lifeblood these days.
Last edited by Tappy on 01 Nov 2012, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 01 Nov 2012, 11:21

Anyway, finally got my Surface (tbf, they did deliver it when they originally said they would, and even gave me a £50 voucher because they said they wouldn't, so that was nice). I might try and do one of those review type things later on, but I'll just give some highlights for the time being.

It doesn't feel particularly light (680g), much was said about how they made the weight uniform so it feels lighter than other tablets, but I haven't really used other tablets, so I don't know if that's true. It looks good though, nice size, ideal size actually (10.6" screen), you can hold it two handed in landscape and use it comfortably, just using your thumbs, or holding it one handed when some finger tapping is needed. It also feels very solid, you'd have no worries about bumping or knocking it, doesn't feel as if it's going to break. The stand also flicks out with a twang and back in with a nice clunk!

It set itself up quite painlessly, just popped in my details and after a few minutes it had my background and favourites from the Desktop Windows 8 and it was good to go. Being used to the mighty power of the Atom, when I started updating the preinstalled apps, I was expecting it to not be able to multitask, but it had no problems, the pop-ups kept coming and I kept doing other stuff. The only time I've seen it stutter so far is when you complete a level on Fruit Ninja and fireworks appear, but the people behind that game have never even optimised it for Windows Phone, so it's probably just lazy coding.

The screen is bright, responds well to touch and doesn't seem to have any ghosting or tearing problems when showing videos, but you notice the 1366x768 resolution when looking at text on websites, and although I got used to it, when I jumped back to the Desktop screen, it was like I was starring into a silky smooth worth of imagery. Of course, Surface Pro, will have a better resolution. The camera worked fine, although it seemed more like a webcam, than a fully fledged camera - although if that will discourage people from carrying it around and using it as such, like I see with many iPads, then I'm all for it!

I haven't really looked that deeply into the Software. Webpages worked, iPlayer worked, which is impressive considering BBC's resistance to doing a Windows Phone app, maybe they'll change the iPlayer to make sure Surface can't use it at a later date. The only flash I could find which didn't run were Facebook games - but probably a good thing (although I do have a penchant for SongPop atm). You still have all the Windows 8 Desktop functions, like a file explorer and task manager. Popped some films on a microSD card and they played fine on Surface. Storage is a bit lower than expected, the formatted 32GB is about 26GB, 10GB was already taken up, so it's more like 16GB spare. And I think I was already down to 13GB once I'd finished playing. But then again, the ability to store things on the SD card will help.

All in all, it seems like a decent device, albeit it certainly a consumer aimed device. I'm happy with it so far, it's doing what I'd expect a tablet to do. I ordered a touch cover for it, which after using it, I regret slightly since the onscreen keyboard was good enough, but I couldn't see what else I could spend my voucher on in the MS store anyway.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 01 Nov 2012, 18:01

For now I am happy with my Note 10.1 but am definitely interested in the new MS tablets and will possibly change next year at some point as well as swapping my phone to a WP8 model as well
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Laptops”