Microsoft announce their own tablet

Discussion of all laptop related items
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Microsoft announce their own tablet

Postby Tappy » 07 Apr 2015, 09:03

Overnight I've become more interested in this. I think because it's the Cherry Trail and it will be no slouch.

I'm still haunted by the memory of Atom powered Netbooks which only existed to tarnish the image of Windows to the uninformed consumer when they couldn't multitask Crysis and video editing software as smoothly as an iPad ran Candy Crush Saga.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Apr 2015, 10:51

My Atom powered netbook is beast!! Well, not really, it's quite slow... But when travelling around with it people were quite complementary about it and how I could do 'everything' on it.

So, time to trade in the RT?
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Apr 2015, 18:53

robbo wrote:So, time to trade in the RT?

The RT is dead, long live the 3.

Had my SP3 a couple of weeks now and love it.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Apr 2015, 19:40

I'm surprised Intel didn't rename Atom when they changed to Bay Trail and started taking the platform more seriously as much of technology now is based on perception and the Atom name is not one that's held in high regard.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Apr 2015, 19:41

128GB/4GB Surface 3 with type cover for £529 pre-order at PCWorld http://www.windowscentral.com/currys-pc ... bundle-529
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Apr 2015, 20:23

That is seriously tempting.
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Apr 2015, 21:49

Apparently O2 customers can get another £50 off. Need to consult HUKD for further info.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Apr 2015, 21:53

Yep, I saw that and opened my O2 priority app but the offer says "save £50 when you spend £500 or more in-store" and "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer". Unless this is also available instore and not classed as an offer then I doubt it'll work.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 08 Apr 2015, 09:55

Actually the RT is still fulfilling my needs. It all depends what W10 brings to the table(t) and if I would want that in tablet form. And I've not long ago bought a new tablet, albeit for gaming. Although, I suppose a Surface 3 could run Steam. Hmmmm... now I'm confused.

The trouble in my mind with the 128GB Atom is at what point do you get the Haswell one? The i3 is pretty closely priced (although I would wager that the performance of the Cherry wouldn't be far off: real quad core, boost mode enabled, higher clock speeds...).
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Apr 2015, 19:34

Tappy wrote:Actually the RT is still fulfilling my needs. It all depends what W10 brings to the table(t) and if I would want that in tablet form. And I've not long ago bought a new tablet, albeit for gaming. Although, I suppose a Surface 3 could run Steam. Hmmmm... now I'm confused.

The trouble in my mind with the 128GB Atom is at what point do you get the Haswell one? The i3 is pretty closely priced (although I would wager that the performance of the Cherry wouldn't be far off: real quad core, boost mode enabled, higher clock speeds...).

Although Bay Trail/Silvermont based Atom processors were a huge improvement over the previous Clovertrail platform, they were still quite a bit behind even the low end Haswell processors and I'd expect the same for Cherry Trail as it's primarily just a die shrink. Therefore if CPU performance is important and you're looking more for a laptop replacement the pro makes sense while the non-pro's Atom makes sense for more general, lighter purpose use. The gap will close if they release a Core M Y series based Surface but I expect there will still be quite a difference in price.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 09 Apr 2015, 10:06

I didn't realise Cherry Trail wasn't a performance improvement over Bay Trail (I read the GPU is supposed to be much better though). It would also make absolute sense that Intel would want to distinguish their ranges too and avoid any blurred lines (I know you want it, just gotta get nasty).
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Apr 2015, 21:34

Intel have been oddly quiet on it, officially it's meant to be a die shrink and it is meant to be getting more GPU cores but apparently Bay Trail was using a lot of its TDP for the GPU already so that may not translate to a large improvement in GPU performance. We'll see when the processors are finally out there although I'm getting pretty confused with Intel's line up these days as Pentium and Celeron processors can also use Silvermont cores and they'll also be using Airmont cores rather than always being based on the larger Core i-series processors.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Apr 2015, 23:13

Surface 3 popping up on the MS Student store at £377.99 for the 64GB/2GB model and £449.99 for the 128GB/4GB model. Can't see any offers for accessories so that PC World offer still looks better if needing a keyboard cover.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 14 Apr 2015, 10:04

Good prices though. Decided that I will possibly be buying a new phone this year (assuming there's a decent W10 one coming out) so I'm holding off on other tech goodies. Until I forget I said this and buy something.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 14 Apr 2015, 12:36

Looks like i might actually complete a contract waiting for a new W10 phone!
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Laptops”