Microsoft announce their own tablet

Discussion of all laptop related items
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Microsoft announce their own tablet

Postby Replicant » 27 Jul 2015, 18:51

Yup MS authorised an immediate swap over and took mine for safety testing.

Looking forward to trying out W10 on it
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Aug 2015, 16:53

Half annoyed at myself that I didn't get a S3 with w8.1 on it now. Have you tried w10 on yours yet?
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 10 Aug 2015, 18:18

robbo wrote:Half annoyed at myself that I didn't get a S3 with w8.1 on it now. Have you tried w10 on yours yet?

Yup, been using it since release day.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 11 Aug 2015, 08:48

Replicant wrote:
robbo wrote:Half annoyed at myself that I didn't get a S3 with w8.1 on it now. Have you tried w10 on yours yet?

Yup, been using it since release day.

take it you're enjoying it? maybe it just works better on more powerful machines or takes some getting used to. I wasn't liking it on my small tab.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 11 Aug 2015, 18:56

Still learning it to be honest.

Microsoft Edge can be problematic. Generally works well but then just locks up. Firefox has been good.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Sep 2015, 22:28

New xps 12 looks interesting. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the SP4 when it gets announced. http://www.windowscentral.com/new-versi ... urface-2-1
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 06 Oct 2015, 21:20

So, there's this new Surface Pro 4 and I'm going to lump the Surface Book in here too. Anyone interested? The SB looks really cool. Cost is going to be a major factor in it though, and wondering how it feels to use the 13.5" screen in tablet mode. Looks like MS are really getting into the stride of the design of their hardware now.

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-pro-4-specs

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-book-specs

Haven't seen anywhere about the new pen being usable on both the SP4 and SB but I'm guessing it will and with the same functionality.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 07 Oct 2015, 09:35

The laptop that replaces your tablet that is a tablet that replaces your laptop.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Oct 2015, 14:23

Tappy wrote:Source of the post The laptop that replaces your tablet that is a tablet that replaces your laptop.

This guy's good! It's like he has to deal with intricate wording with work or something.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Oct 2015, 01:39

I have been fancying a larger tablet for a while since the phone is quite large and makes a standard size tablet less beneficial, I like the look of the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro which is a 13in Android tablet with a builtin stand but it seems underpowered for the super high screen resolution and I've not seen it cheap enough to be worth a punt. I noticed Dell had an interesting 2 in 1 in their Latitude 13 7350 which is a 13in tablet that attaches to a keyboard base, in particular what appealed about this one is that I managed to get a scratch and dent one off the outlet for £430 which comes with the keyboard (I think they all do), Core-m processor, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, LTE card and three year on site warranty which is a bargain.

I suspect it will be going back though (always best to snap a bargain up on the outlet and return it later as you never know if it will be back), there's some odd design decisions which means the tablet has no ports of its own and they're all on the base which kind of limits it when it's used on its own. There's also the bigger issue that Windows isn't very good for touch, Windows 8/8.1 made some steps forward but Windows 10 seems to make a lot of steps backwards with features like the removal of the touch gestures and touch optimisations removed from Internet Explorer. Some features like the soft keyboard are just completely rubbish compared to what Swiftkey (and I'm sure others) offer for tablet keyboards with well optimised designs that suit the large physical area.

I like the idea of the Surface book in housing a second GPU in the base and automatically switching on the fly but no interest otherwise, it's extremely expensive for a device that I assume like the Surface Pro's will be impossible to repair or upgrade and I don't think I'd get enough use out of it for the money, my main machine is still very much my desktop.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 11 Oct 2015, 10:48

Even with discrete graphics, the Surface Book will still be lacking compared to a proper laptop when it comes to graphics. It's 'only' a 1GB, 800M series graphics card (yeah, great for a 'tablet') so although you can game (or whatever else one uses a GPU for!), you'll always be compromising to the guy sat next to you with his 13" Asus or Alienware.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Oct 2015, 23:44

The Alienware 13in machines only have an 860m (or the rebranded 960m version) so not that much better plus I assume the reason for the GPU is the hardware support for CUDA and other video accelerated features.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 19 Apr 2016, 13:06

I still use my SP3 as my every day machine. Has anyone gone for the Surface Book or had a go on it?
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Apr 2016, 15:32

Bro in law has the surface 4. not a fan apparently. And i've heard that from other people too. Which may be why we dont see anyone with the surface book. personally, i'd be really interested to see if it can play fallout 4 on medium settings and video edit.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 19 Apr 2016, 20:18

I love my SP3 and 4 of my work colleagues now have a SP4 because they saw my machine and how useful it can be.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Laptops”