Swap primary hard drives on laptop

Discussion of all laptop related items
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Swap primary hard drives on laptop

Postby UKIan » 06 May 2012, 22:28

So when the new Dell arrives I'm going to swap out one of the hardd rives (It has two 500meg drives I believe) with an SDD. I've yet to manage this on any machine without having to do a full reinstall of windows.

Anyone got any advice, who may have done this recently? I'm aware of things like Ghost (which I don't have but could buy if necessary). I do have Acronis back up which supposedly allows you to restore a system partition to new hardware, but I've never got that working properly either.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Swap primary hard drives on laptop

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2012, 00:21

Which version of Acronis do you have? It's the older 2011 one I have which worked fine with Vista but not properly with 7, I've been meaning to update it but haven't got around to it.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 07 May 2012, 06:03

Johnmcl7 wrote:Which version of Acronis do you have? It's the older 2011 one I have which worked fine with Vista but not properly with 7, I've been meaning to update it but haven't got around to it.

John

Good question, 11 I think. I vaguely recall that I had the option of paying to upgrade it a while back. I hated it for a long while, but I've finally got it settled into a routine of backing up one PC properly in a configuration that actually works :/

Norton Ghost is available on amazon for 30 quid for a 3pc license which seems pretty good. It always makes me laugh (or cry) that you can buy software cheaper in a box on amazon than you can from the web direct. I bought a couple of licenses for AVG, and again, got the 3 pc license with 2 years of updates for about 30 quid on Amazon, while AVG's site wanted more for just one PC license for one year!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 May 2012, 00:59

I've got the new Acronis version at work but only been using it on WinXP machines so no idea if it's any better on Windows 7 although 7 does have its own backup system which I've not tried either as you have to back up the entire machine (all drives) rather than just the OS drive.

It does irritate me when companies are charging more than the likes of Amazon when it should be cheaper to buy the software direct from the manufacturer although you have to be careful as this is what I got when searching Amazon for the DVD ripping software DVD Fab:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nadia-Sawalha-F ... 054&sr=8-1

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 10 May 2012, 22:02

Johnmcl7 wrote:I've got the new Acronis version at work but only been using it on WinXP machines so no idea if it's any better on Windows 7 although 7 does have its own backup system which I've not tried either as you have to back up the entire machine (all drives) rather than just the OS drive.

It does irritate me when companies are charging more than the likes of Amazon when it should be cheaper to buy the software direct from the manufacturer although you have to be careful as this is what I got when searching Amazon for the DVD ripping software DVD Fab:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nadia-Sawalha-F ... 054&sr=8-1

John

Lol! I used to quite fancy her sister :)

Acronis has been working ok for me on Win7 for a while, but it took a while to find a configuration that worked. I have never got the feature which restores to different hardware to work though.

I have now received the XPS17 and it's rather nice :) First thing I did was create backup media onto a memory stick (cool option), then swap out one of the drives for an SDD (OCZ Vertex 3). Annoyingly the first time I used the restore, it restored to the remaining large HD, so I had to take that out as well, leaving just the SDD and then it worked fine. Anyway, it was perfect after that, it just worked. One question though, it's created a 20gig recovery partition which I haven't been able to kill so far. I'd like that space back!

All in all it's really nice. Huge, I haven't had a large laptop since the XCT all those years ago.

Return to “Laptops”