If you could only have one computer, which would it be?

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

If you could only have one computer, which would it be?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2011, 13:17

When thinking about Rock and Kobalt I was thinking that most of us came together through DTR machines yet very few of us now use that type of machine. I'm not sure if that's a general change in the market or what but I was curious, if you could have one PC (desktop or laptop) what would be it be?

A few years ago I would have said a DTR. no question as I wanted a machine that could do everything well that I could carry with me. Initially that the 15.6in 8600 then up to the 17in XPS2 and again with the XPS m1710. However the XPS M1330 started to tempt me away by offering a solid balance between portability and performance and then the end came with the XPS M1730, it was an attractive machine and its cooling system was incredible but it was too big and the gap had widened considerably between laptops and desktops meaning I could get a cheaper desktop with a potent i7 processor against the M1730's C2D 2.4Ghz.

My current choice would be my 13in Z series, its graphics card isn't very potent but its other specs are decent and it's wrapped up in a reasonably small and light package so unsurprisingly it's the one I use by far the most.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: If you could only have one computer, which would it be?

Postby scarbunny » 19 Oct 2011, 13:49

I guess it depends on how strictly you want to term "computer".

If we could still keep our tablets then I would probably stump for a decent spec desktop as I can use my iPad for pretty much everything that I use my laptop for.

But if tablets are included under "computer" for the sake of this then I would want a 13" Macbook the build quality is far beyond anything else I have used, it is powerful enough to go some gaming on the go, the battery is pretty good and it is generally so much nicer to use than any other Windows laptop I have used.

Although I would not be unhappy with a 13in Z-Series, if they weren't so expensive.
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 19 Oct 2011, 14:10

Like scar I would choose my powerful desktop and a tablet to back it up but if the tablet is considered a computer than it would have to be a laptop, 11-13" in size, 7+ hour battery life, reasonable multi-core processor and a GPU that can handle decent modern games at medium settings. I am not aware of such a machine but then I stopped looking for that kind of thing a while ago so it may exist?
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Oct 2011, 15:15

Well, i went from a DTR to a DT & laptop! And in theory that worked well as i got a better level of gaming! But now i dont use the desktop as its in the other room, so its back to sofa laptop use. which means selling the desktop and the laptop. but instead of a 17" DTR again, i've gone for the 14" for portability! As i dont want to lug round a 17" now days!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Oct 2011, 15:16

Advocate wrote:Like scar I would choose my powerful desktop and a tablet to back it up but if the tablet is considered a computer than it would have to be a laptop, 11-13" in size, 7+ hour battery life, reasonable multi-core processor and a GPU that can handle decent modern games at medium settings. I am not aware of such a machine but then I stopped looking for that kind of thing a while ago so it may exist?

Well, the M14x comes up as 4-5 hours without gaming. i7 quad core multi threaded 2.20ghz processor with turbo up to 3.10ghz. And a GPU that can hit crysis in high (but not ultra!)
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 19 Oct 2011, 15:29

It would still have to be a DTR for me. I like having the power in a portable package and do too much gaming and traveling to compromise with anything else. Specifically, it would have been a Kobalt 15" beast with everything I could squeeze into it, but now... I'm not sure. The Alienware M18x is too big and the M14x is too weak for my one computer. :(

Oooo, maybe that Razer Blade thingy, okay, I know it has the same GPU as the M14x, but it is funky looking with extra funk.

EDIT: Now I'm contemplating a desktop, because I don't really travel that much at all... oh confusion
Last edited by Tappy on 21 Nov 2011, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 19 Oct 2011, 16:41

macbook air + NAS + smarthphone
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 19 Oct 2011, 19:22

My Vaio Z probably. It only has a 330m card, but that's enough to run games happily when that's what I want. Sounds a bit daft saying that after the financial outpouring I've just had getting my desktop back on its feet, but there you go.

The Desktop replacement laptops just don't appeal any more, now I've had one. It was too big to sit on my lap, too big to carry and not powerful enough (after a year or so) with no option for upgrading.
poor_man_jim
Fish food
Fish food

Postby poor_man_jim » 19 Oct 2011, 21:13

Back in 2008, I was simply unwilling to compromise between power and portability. For me at least, there was no killer inbetweener. The closest model I could find was the LG P300 (lighter at 1.6kgs yet with more 3D power than the M1330). Unfortunately LG wouldn't sell it in the UK. To get one meant having to order it from Germany (UK keyboard was an optional extra) - too much of a headache to organise and not cheap.

I really don't know what LG were/are thinking. They still improving the model (P330) - now equipped with an Core i7, 555M GT, SSD and an IPS display?! Missed opportunity really. They could've carved up the portable gaming/workstation market in this country! (at least for those who don't mind having to use an external optical drive);
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/10/new- ... nd-beauty/

Anyways, henrybutt and I were really lucky picking up those sub-£600 Clevos courtesy of Novatech (of which I'm eternally grateful). It left me with enough cash to also grab a netbook which sorted me out on the portability front.

Currently, I would choose my Clevo over everything else although up to about a year ago, I wouldn't have been so sure. This laptop was soooo noisy with its monstrous fans. Even with closed back headphones on, simple tasks like browsing the web just used to drive me nuts. It's only since I applied the latest custom Sager BIOS and £140 worth of upgrades (CPU/HD) that this laptop's become a gem. No more sudden fan whooshes and they actually ramp right down now during idle.

Ask me again however after Battlefield 3 comes out and I'm almost certain the answer would be a desktop. No doubt, so much more horsepower and value plus I don't travel anywhere near as much. I may attempt to see how the game fares on my laptop first but that'll mean having to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 - not an easy task when some of my everyday apps are well over a decade old now...
Novatech X80R [Clevo M570RU-U]: 17" Gloss 1920x1200, Intel T9300, 4GB RAM, 500GB WD Scorpio Black HD, 512MB 8800M GTX
HP MicroServer N36L - 3 x WD20EARX - Linux Mint
Samsung NC10: 10.2", Intel N270, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2011, 23:29

Reading around the thinking seems to be the P330 has been abandoned as there's been on further sign of it and I think a Sandybridge i7 doesn't make much sense when the Ivybridge processors look to make powerful i7's far more usable in smaller machines. I could actually live with a German keyboard layout as it's physically the same as a UK layout (whereas a US one isn't, not having backslash beside the Z key is extremely annoying) so if you touch type it's fine although oddly you have to try not to look at the keys as it gets confusing. I've used a German keyboard a few times at work as they were shipped by accident and of course they were never deployed so always around! The lack of optical drive and a low resolution screen would be an issue though, I still regularly use the optical drive on my Z series for productivity and blu-rays while the lack of optical drive on my X200 is an annoyance even with one fitted to its dock.

The fan noise on the M570RU is one of the main reasons I returned it, that was a poorly designed cooling system to say the least.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Oct 2011, 23:53

For me it would be the Sony Z series when it still had the optical drive built in. I've not had one but I've always liked the 13" screen size machines for their mix of portability and still having enough grunt to do a fair few tasks. My 14" Sony isn't massive but does feel quite a bit larger compared to my Peg 335 I had previously. A 1600x900 res would be required also.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 20 Oct 2011, 11:23

M1330, still would be top of my list, although the X220t is growing on me and has a loverly keyboard.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 20 Oct 2011, 22:19

robbo wrote:For me it would be the Sony Z series when it still had the optical drive built in. I've not had one but I've always liked the 13" screen size machines for their mix of portability and still having enough grunt to do a fair few tasks. My 14" Sony isn't massive but does feel quite a bit larger compared to my Peg 335 I had previously. A 1600x900 res would be required also.

Yes, I was annoyed by the new one. It doesn't have dedicated gfx on board, you have to plug it into its stupid dock >_<

I've got the top of the Z series, so I've got the 256gig SDD, 330M, 8gig ram, i7 and crucially a 1920x1080 screen. I've been running hot and cold about the screen, it can be just too high rez at times, but actually I wouldn't want to go back to something lower now even at this small size. I'm secretly hoping that the retina screens we're seeing in iphones and maybe ipads will help encourage laptop makers to use higher rez screens. The options for me for a small hi rez screen could be counted on one hand and eventually one finger :/
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 21 Oct 2011, 10:11

I would like to see how a 1920x1800 screen looks at that 13" size. Guessing everything looks so small! It does already when I use a 1366x768 or similar res screen and then come back to my 1600x900 screen.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 24 Oct 2011, 10:25

getting a new work laptop... HUZZAH!

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... 56942.html

will it game?

Return to “Laptops”