laptop tablet advice

Discussion of all laptop related items
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

laptop tablet advice

Postby Fodder » 19 Jul 2011, 20:19

Ok, have just signed up a contract for a clinic management and medical notes system. It really requires a tablet to make the most of it.

The specs for the software are as follows:-

Windows XP SP3 (32 & 64 bit), Windows 2003 (all editions) SP2, Windows Vista SP1 (32 & 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
Processor speed of 1.6GHz or above (minimum recommendation - 1.5 GHz Core2Duo)
Memory (RAM) of 512MBytes or above (minimum recommendation 1GB)
Screen resolution of 1024x768 or above
Broadband required for text and email options, TM2 Online and Multi-Clinic Solutions
Additional touch screen hardware is advised to make the most of features in TM2 Touch clinical notes
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

This pretty much rules out any atom based tablet :evil:

This leaves me with a laptop/tablet convertable which are rather pricey. The plus is I would have a replacement for the M1330, even if it does cost double.

Googling reveals a mix of options:-

Packard bell butterfly.

HP elitebook 2740 old mobile cpu

HP elitebook 2760 (new model, available sometime mid august?) New mobile cpu

Lenovo X220 (new mobile CPU and IPS screen)

Dell have dropped the ball. They only do a ruggedised version of the TX2 now and calling them up was a more painfull experience than having your undercarriage waxed.

I have been offered a 2740 by HP, the only spec they do is pretty much everything, for £1600 inc VAT.

This leaves me a little in a quandry. It is a very good machine, but the graphics are not on the CPU like the Lenovo. The new model 2760 does have the new CPU but no definite date of availability.

The lenovo beats it in terms of battery life and the screen is apparently superb.

Can;t find the packard bell in stock anywhere at all. The X220 is available and cheaper (slightly) than the HP with MUCH cheaper extended onsite support options.

Any help on making a decision here? HP I would get direct, the Lenovo would be through an online retailer and I have no experience of lenovo/IBM support or build quality.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
UKIan

Re: laptop tablet advice

Postby UKIan » 19 Jul 2011, 21:35

I vote for the X220. I was looking into tablet PC's last year and actually ordered the previous X200 but they totally bogded the order up and I ended up cancelling. It is still head and shoulders better than any other tablet PC.

I have an HP, one of the older ones, laptop with swivel screen to convert to tablet. The screen isn't very good on it, but I played with the newer model and they sorted that out. The build quality was, is, well just not up to the Lenovo.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 19 Jul 2011, 22:32

Where did you order the X200 from?
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Jul 2011, 22:33

I use an X200 but haven't tried an X220, I'm not very impressed with Lenovo build quality as the T400 in particularly seems to have a lot of problems although they may just have been bad batches. Support isn't particularly great either as it takes some effort to get an engineer out and they usually fail to turn up the first few times. I don't have any experience at all of the HP business machines.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 19 Jul 2011, 23:01

We've been supplied by HP at work for the last few years and the standard notebooks have been pretty stable. Had a screen go on mine but was replaced next day. We would have a pretty comprehensive coverage plan at my work though - 500 units.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 19 Jul 2011, 23:02

Fodder wrote:Where did you order the X200 from?

Lenovo direct.

It was a disaster. Their web site broke and ordered three of them and charged me for them. Then they couldn't refund it because the web site had lost the details... So I sympathise with John, their customer support was keen but inept...
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 21 Jul 2011, 22:59

Ok, I see what you mean about Lenovo direct.

Website had it, very good deal too. An i3 with a few spangly bits came in at about £1000 inc VAT!!!!

Came back to it after lunch, decided to have a last tweak and order. My session had timed out and now the X220 choice links to servers and if I try a different root I get back to the home page again. Crap.

So far out of Dell, Lenovo/IBM and HP, HP are the only ones who:-

A) Answer the phone with a British accent.
B) Know what they sell
C) Honest that they have a crap website and sympathise.
D) Get back to you to answer questions they couldn't answer in the first place.

The Lenovo may have a better screen, which I will be looking at when not at the patient in underwear, but if HP come up with a good deal they get the cash.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 27 Jul 2011, 22:11

Fodder wrote:Ok, I see what you mean about Lenovo direct.

Website had it, very good deal too. An i3 with a few spangly bits came in at about £1000 inc VAT!!!!

Came back to it after lunch, decided to have a last tweak and order. My session had timed out and now the X220 choice links to servers and if I try a different root I get back to the home page again. Crap.

So far out of Dell, Lenovo/IBM and HP, HP are the only ones who:-

A) Answer the phone with a British accent.
B) Know what they sell
C) Honest that they have a crap website and sympathise.
D) Get back to you to answer questions they couldn't answer in the first place.

The Lenovo may have a better screen, which I will be looking at when not at the patient in underwear, but if HP come up with a good deal they get the cash.

It's shocking isn't it. How the hell can these technology companies not manage a simple web site?
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 28 Jul 2011, 09:02

At least I could find the product, or the product family.

HP has a website built on pure confusion. Spangly 'buy this' front end, then go to buy and you are thrown into confusing link hell.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 30 Jul 2011, 00:48

Apparently it is shipping.

Bonus point for a speedy build.

Black mark for having a nice table for a tracking number and delivery service, but without the tracking number in. Numpties.

Return to “Laptops”