Guidelines for posting on behalf of a company

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Guidelines for posting on behalf of a company

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 May 2008, 01:17

As we're an independent forum we welcome companies to join the forum to offer their expertise and interact with the community here. Although we like to try and keep a relatively informal atmosphere, here are some guidelines:

- make it clear which company you work for, if you let us know we will give you a custom ranking to allow the community to identify genuine members of a company
- no spamming, please keep any posts on topic and relevent to the thread
- no comments or questions on business specific aspects of other companies
- if contacting a member of the forum by PM or e-mail please ensure it is appropriate and that the receiving person would like the information due to an existing discussion on a thread or similar. In most cases we would prefer discussions to be kept on the forum but can appreciate there are circumstances where a public discussion is not possible, if any users feel that they have been sent private messages that they did not wish to receive please let us know
- links off site (including your own site) are fine as long as the information is valid, for example a thread on another forum which shows the steps to resolve a problem that a user here is having
- reviews are welcome as long as they focus on the machine itself(features, pictures, performance) rather than the company supplying it
- an avatar on the forum which represents your company is fine, as is a signature image as long it's small and unobtrusive

Please introduce yourself and your company to the forum to let the community know a bit about your business:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148

We hope you enjoy your time on the forum which I believe can be useful to both the community here and the companies themselves.
carln
Media Director
Media Director

Re: Guidelines for posting on behalf of a company

Postby carln » 20 May 2008, 11:21

Johnmcl7 wrote: - no comments or questions about other similar companies

Hi John, I'm very wary of becoming a "back-seat" moderator on this so I apologise in advance for being the person sticking my nose in it. I think this rule might be a bit too strict. Is there any way we could relax the piece about the questions to allow staff from one company to ask questions of staff from others. They could still be prevented from commenting on the answers. I think that sometimes people who work in the industry would have a better insight to the type of questions that should be asked than lay people like myself.

To take a very vague example say Company X and Company Y both use the same chassis and Company X sell it with a tv card whereas Company Y refuse to install the tv card because it causes overheating. I think customers would be very interested in why Company X claim theirs doesn't overheat. In this case though the best line of questioning that could be taken to examine Company X's claim would be from Company Y who know what they're talking about. I realise that what happened last night went a bit far but perhaps even if you keep the rule in place it might be relaxed in certain cases where the customer would obviously benefit.

Just a thought, like I said I know it's difficult to moderate but the independence of this forum gives a lot of scope for us as a community to tease information out of manufacturers that they wouldn't necessarily publicise if they didn't have to.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 May 2008, 12:08

You're quite right, I've changed that guideline to reflect your comment.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
carln
Media Director
Media Director

Postby carln » 20 May 2008, 13:31

Looks good 8-)
kp@novatech
Novatech
Novatech

Postby kp@novatech » 20 May 2008, 16:16

I am fine with that. We had an issue with a BIOS and a keyboard error, the new BIOS fixed it. There was some talk of two BIOSs one that allowed the unit to be over clocked and fixed the issue and one that just fixed the issue.

For the sake of customer support we should be able to post things like new BIOSs and explain why they are new so that everyone that uses a chassis can benifit. The same goes for sharing of information and issues.

Kp
Novatech Commercial Director
BinnsY
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby BinnsY » 20 May 2008, 17:58

Looks good, and I agree with you on that bit kp.
| 3.2Ghz Quad|4GB Ram|GTX 470|2000GB|X-Fi Gamer |
| 2.2Ghz Dual|2GB Ram|8600m GT|160GB|Realtek HD |

Return to “Laptops”