Netbooks - which one?

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Netbooks - which one?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 May 2010, 00:37

It reads like spam to me as all three posts are much the same however the profile doesn't have any sort of advertising on it. Given the posts are a waste of space and bumping topics unnecessarily I think I may as well remove them.

Incidentally I'm just setting up a Dell 14z at the moment which is a 14in CULV powered machine, it's for a friend who just wanted a fairly standard machine. I opted for the CULV route as the machine is thinner and lighter plus the batterylife is a decent eight hours. It gave me a bit of a fright as when I looked up the processor it showed as a Core solo processor not a dual core despite the dual graphs in task manager so I was worried it was running HT. Thankfully the system properties is missing an 's', it's definitely a dual core processor - specifically a Pentium Dual Core 1.3GHz with 2MB cache and a TDP of just 10W. While this is going to be slower I reckon the owner will benefit much more from the smaller chassis and better batterylife than the loss in performance.

I do think CULV processors offer a better balance than the Atoms, netbook prices seem to be soaring which makes them too expensive for my liking - I think they should be aiming them at sub 200 pounds. Acer are really blurring the lines with an 11in CULV powered machine:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3701/acer ... es-on-atom

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 16 May 2010, 18:29

I am thinking about getting a netbook for taking with me to Oz and had been looking at the Acer Aspire One. Some pretty good deals on acerdirect.co.uk, a Grade A XP based machine for £160 mark. So really need to decide if it is worth paying more for a more powerful windows 7 based unit when i really don't need it. Hmm
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 16 May 2010, 19:36

Looking at this one.
Dr Who
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Dr Who » 20 May 2010, 16:28

If price is the main driver you could consider this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-WIND-U100-10I ... 53e0c0e27d
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 20 May 2010, 17:50

After i successfully repaired the hinge on my rock i reckon i am gonna buy a battery and take it instead of getting a netbook. 17 inches is big to carry about but hopefully I wont be on the move that often, plus its 3 years old and the first thing i will do when i get back is upgrade to a desktop machine so if it gets lost/stolen/dropped it isn't a total disaster.
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby UKIan » 11 Jun 2010, 12:47

raith_rovers_fan wrote:Looking at this one.

I know you've said you're taking your 17", but this info might help others :)

I've got one of those (aspire one), and also a ASUS EEE PC 1005 and before that had an ASUS EEE PC 1008. The Acer Aspire has an awful keyboard and awful touchpad. Both the keyboard and track pad are too small. On the ASUS EEE PC, the 1008 is thinner and lighter, but the 1005 has an easy to reach memory hatch and a better battery. Both have the same excellent keyboard and trackpad. Seriously, they are netbooks you can type on. I wouldn't recommend the Acer aspire one to anyone.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jun 2010, 13:15

hi all,
what is the best netbook for £200, tight budget as it is for the bro. Pretty much a back up office machine and video player - .avis / streaming.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... 1500658581

?
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Jun 2010, 16:44

you can often get very good deals in the Dell Outlet store for the Dell Minis
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jun 2010, 21:39

true to form, he's already made his mind up. thanks for the advice Chris. I did look a the dell mini tonight in currys and it doesn't look as sharp as the others, a bit "podgy" :)
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Jun 2010, 21:41

It has a very usable keyboard for a netbook though.
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jun 2010, 22:14

details!
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 17 Jun 2010, 22:30

matt wrote:details!

New top tip, I go to currys or PC world and feel under the machine to see how warm they got. The Dells, I think the minis got way too hot.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 12 Jul 2010, 21:23

Hi all,
it is he brothers birthday this month so thought I may get him a netbook sleeve / carry case. He took it on holiday to Greece and think this will be his everywhere pc so I'm not sure which way to go.
I don't think a bag is any good as it will already be in one more often than not, more looking for something he can whip out at the airport for scanning / throw over for trips in the car etc.

Any ideas? Is crumpler a good place to start or are there better companies for sleeves?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jul 2010, 21:27

This will sound very strange but I'd have a look in Currys or PCWorld, I was looking for a good slip case for my TX and picked up one that I still use to this day from there that works well. I'm not sure if it's only their online branch that carries the branded cases but if you're anywhere near when passing it's worth a quick look.

Incidentally I do think a slip case is the way to go as that's how I carry my sub 14in machines as they're normally in a separate bag and don't need their own 'big' bag.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Jul 2010, 07:34

I know you said you didn't really want a bag but when I was looking at netbooks I thought the Pakuma K4 messenger bag was pretty good - but then I am a fan of the messenger style bag. Fits a netbook with space for more http://www.pakuma.com/products/choroka_k4.htm

But as John said though, just look at pcworld or similar.

Return to “Laptops”