Best Wifi?

Discussion of all laptop related items
Need4speed
Fish food
Fish food

Best Wifi?

Postby Need4speed » 17 Nov 2009, 08:18

I've got to help a friend spec a laptop; this is going to be used almost exclusively for web-browsing and email (no gaming or any other heavy duty computing). Connection will always be wifi to Virgin Media (cable).
She is looking for the fastest possible and most reliable internet connection - nothing else really matters.
At the budget end of the machines is there anything to look out for that can enhance the web surfing e.g. specific wifi module etc? I am assuming processor, graphics card etc are not going to affect anything too much in these circumstances. I'm even thinking to get a real budget machine and pop in an aftermarket wifi module (if there is one recommended) or whatever else will help with the specific duties of this laptop.

Any advice welcome.
Dell XPS M1530 (15.4" WUXGA/T8300 2.4GHz/NVidia 8600M GT/4GB RAM/Vista HP), Acer Aspire One (1.6GHz/120GB HDD/1GB RAM/Linpus Linux Lite)
Advocate
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Best Wifi?

Postby Advocate » 17 Nov 2009, 09:08

If you get a wireless n capable card and a wireless n router you will have the best possible wireless as far as I am aware. the card in my studio xps is very good (think it is a broadcom card), gets a signal much further away than any of the other laptops in the house.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 17 Nov 2009, 11:37

I guess you could go down the N route, but with the past 5 or 6 laptops that have passed through my hands in the past couple of years, its always been the actual internet provider, not the wireless that has been the weak link in the chain.

j
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Nov 2009, 16:27

For the Internet wireless N is not really any better than G at present as most persons Internet connections are way below what wireless G is capable of.
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Nov 2009, 19:19

what about signal strength? I.e. not the speed of data, but the amount of bars you get and how stable it is?
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 17 Nov 2009, 19:39

Replicant wrote:For the Internet wireless N is not really any better than G at present as most persons Internet connections are way below what wireless G is capable of.

To be fair, even right next to my router my wireless never seems to get much above 20mb with wireless G. Considering how quickly 20mb / 50mb services are appearing I would say N is a good route if your buying new.
| 3.2Ghz Quad|4GB Ram|GTX 470|2000GB|X-Fi Gamer |
| 2.2Ghz Dual|2GB Ram|8600m GT|160GB|Realtek HD |
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 17 Nov 2009, 19:42

even if your internet connection cant make the most of N now it shouldnt be too long before the internet catches up.

N for me lets me stream stuff off my home server to other devices faster so makes sense for me.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Nov 2009, 21:24

BinnsY wrote:
Replicant wrote:For the Internet wireless N is not really any better than G at present as most persons Internet connections are way below what wireless G is capable of.

To be fair, even right next to my router my wireless never seems to get much above 20mb with wireless G. Considering how quickly 20mb / 50mb services are appearing I would say N is a good route if your buying new.

Yes (whilst I agree with you personally) in the first line of the OP its says for web browsing/email so if they are looking for budget machines there is no point in buying a router when Virgin provide a free wireless G modem to their customers.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Nov 2009, 22:42

You're right in regards to maximum speed however as the wireless signal decreases, the connection speed also decreases and the pings go up. This means at the outer portion of the wireless range, a 'g' setup may be struggling to keep a connection with a very low connection rate and high pings whereas an 'n' setup could still be maintaining a reasonable connection.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Nov 2009, 23:50

Johnmcl7 wrote:

You're right in regards to maximum speed however as the wireless signal decreases, the connection speed also decreases and the pings go up. This means at the outer portion of the wireless range, a 'g' setup may be struggling to keep a connection with a very low connection rate and high pings whereas an 'n' setup could still be maintaining a reasonable connection.

John

I agree John but as most users don't sit that far away from the router it isn't usually that much of an issue so I chose to ignore that point.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Nov 2009, 00:15

It depends on the house though, at a friend's house they can't get a signal even in the room next to the router on a wireless 'g' network.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 18 Nov 2009, 09:00

Johnmcl7 wrote:It depends on the house though, at a friend's house they can't get a signal even in the room next to the router on a wireless 'g' network.

John

Well yes that 'may' be a possibility and I am sure we could argue this to the Nth degree but that would be pointless.

Looking on what the OP has said - they are using Virginmedia.

**NEWSFLASH**
Wireless "N" Router

If you love wireless, our "N" router is about as good as it gets. On top of all the benefits of our "G" router, our sleek wireless 'N' router gives you:

* Improved coverage, with fewer 'black spots' in your network
* Even better range, so you can work further away from your router
* Super-fast file transfer between computers - ideal for sharing large files
* The latest wireless encryption technology for extra security
* The best 'wireless' broadband performance available

Free with Broadband XXL (includes a free USB adapter)
Free with Broadband XL (up to 20Mb broadband)
£25 with Broadband L (up to 10Mb broadband)

SOOOOOO if they are going to be a new customer using the XL or XXL they can get it for free now and wouldnt need to waste money buying a new router. :geek:
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Best Wifi?

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Jun 2016, 13:30

Nah, i use PIA. lets me connect from mobile devices, my NAS and my laptop. And its not expensive. I get my max broadband through it, and the dont store my ip address. So even if the courts do get access to the data, theres no proof who was connecting to what.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Best Wifi?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jun 2016, 14:45

I've deleted the post which Ras was replying to as it seemed very spammy to me given it bumped a very old topic and had almost nothing to do with the original topic either.

I was briefly confused why people were recommending Wireless N instead of AC then saw the dates.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Best Wifi?

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Jun 2016, 15:20

Yup, looked spammy. Wasnt sure it was real, so replied to see if they came back!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14

Return to “Laptops”