Need a new electronic organiser for my Dad

Discussion of all laptop related items
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Need a new electronic organiser for my Dad

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jul 2009, 02:03

To cut a long story short, my Dad has an old electronic organiser which looks like this:

http://www.mrmartinweb.com/images/calcu ... anizer.jpg

Back in its day this thing was cutting edge as was 64K memory just to give you an idea how old it is, we bought two at the time which was one for him and one for me - his one died eventually so I gave him mine and now that's dead. The problem I'm having is getting a replacement, the requirements are small, keyboard and simple so Windows/Palm devices are mainly out the window. I've seen some of these type devices still for sale but any I can find reviews for seem to be pretty bad and on looking at pictures they seem to be more basic than the Tandy one he has (no graphical display).

The other option I'm considering is an old Psion PDA as I think some of these are reasonably small although I'm not sure about these as they may be too big for his use and the later ones like the Revo tend to use a proprietary battery which is no good as they cost more than the Revo's worth! I'm sure there's some people with fond memories for Psion though so any recommendations welcome, they always seemed built to last and the interface seemed fairly graphical and easy to use. I've found a Siena for sale which seems to be small and powered on AA batteries so I'm considering that model.

Thanks,
John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Advocate
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Need a new electronic organiser for my Dad

Postby Advocate » 10 Jul 2009, 10:19

I have been trialling the Nokia N810 and the iPaq 214 for work purposes - if it wasnt for some specific requirements I would have chosen the N810 over the iPaq... it may be a little complex but it is cheap and I though easy to use as it is debian based... cheap from play at a little over £100
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jul 2009, 10:29

They're a bit too pricey and complicated, in terms of functionality they only need an address book and calculator although I think a graphic display would be better than an alphanumeric one.

I've found a good Siena review but it doesn't seem to be tough enough:

http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/technology/psion_siena.htm

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Jul 2009, 12:23

Filofax, quality pen, job done!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 10 Jul 2009, 12:34

I thought this was a bit of a simple request, but I see the problem, no one makes nice simple electronic address books anymore! I thought of Sharp and Casio, but I can't find any on their sites. Ebay does reveal a few that look like they'll do the job though.

This is my favourite: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mi-digi-world-adv ... 7C294%3A50

But if he doesn't like pink, this Sharp one looks decent: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHARP-Electronic- ... 7C294%3A50

But the Siena is probably the best I've seen so far.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jul 2009, 12:42

I found the Sharp one and it looks good but unfortunately it's nine days until the auction closes :(

There's only one Siena on ebay which seems to be broken which backs up my concerns about not being durable. This one looks really similar to what he had but no buy it now again, don't people realise I have no patience!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharp-Electronic- ... 7C294%3A50

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 10 Jul 2009, 12:59

The Mi Digi World is Buy It Now....
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 10 Jul 2009, 13:48

John.

I'm sure I have a psion 3 somewhere. Could be an a or c or I might even have both. Your welcome to them if you want and I can find them.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Combat Marmot » 11 Jul 2009, 08:21

I used to have a more basic (yes!) version of that sharp... now I use a filofax, mainly because I never had that many contacts anyway. Would some simple contacts program on a laptop be an option?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Jul 2009, 12:04

Fodder, I'd be interested to know if either of those Psions are working at all.

My Dad has a laptop but rarely uses it, he likes to have the electronic organiser just in his jacket pocket or close by. Given he's a technophobe I'm surprised he uses the electronic organiser at all.

John
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 12 Jul 2009, 19:42

They were working the last time I used them (late nineties?)

I'll have a dig about tomorrow and let you know.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Return to “Laptops”