Completed any games recently?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Completed any games recently?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 May 2014, 00:46

I think it deserves its own topic Robbo, Jim should have some recommendations for you as well:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1933

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Aug 2014, 13:45

I finished the lovely Monument Valley on Android (believe it's on IOS as well), it's a short but beautifully presented game where you have to complete puzzles using optical illusions. You can finish it on one go pretty much but it's cheap and enjoyed every moment of it which I'd prefer to it dragging on.

I also sort of finished Super Mario Bros U on the Wii-U, this is 2D platformer similar to Super Mario World on the Snes. I say sort of because I killed the end boss but I didn't get all the star coins and it turns out I didn't do all the worlds either. What amuses me about the Wii U and Nintendo is that they're seen as simple games for kids when Mario Bros U is one of the most hardcore games I've played recently. Some of the later levels get a bit tricky but the star coins can be extremely challenging, there's three per level and they're usually either hidden, in plain sight and difficult to get to or they're behind some timed event. The latter is particularly fun as it means powering through the level at speed to get to the coin before the scripted event happens (such as a rock falling in front and blocking it) which means you need to pull off a series of perfectly timed jumps at speed and you only get one shot at it. One last night involved getting a star, powering through the section of the level and jumping up a series of rising blocks with enemies on them (which is why you needed the star) with the star coin on the last block. Took me a few goes but when pulled off correctly it felt great as you'd get the 1up when hitting the last enemy and another 1up for finishing high on the flag pole.

The question is why bother but for some reason I keep coming back, as you'd expect the gameplay mechanics are as tight as ever so when you do pull of a combination quickly. Also bought Luigi U which is apparently a tougher version of the game.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jan 2015, 02:33

It's been a tough challenge but I've finally finished Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on the Wii-U which is another 2D platformer which unlike Mario Bros U where the base game is reasonably easy and the extras provide the real challenge, the base game in Donkey Kong is incredibly difficult while the bonus items are even tougher. Levels are long and many sections need careful timing and precision to survive the constant deaths.

A lot of the time the difficulty feels more frustrating than fine particularly as the collision detection and controls can be a bit vague. Otherwise the game is pretty impressive as it looks great with complex 3D environments that the game frequently shows off with at times dizzying moves going through the 3D world (even though only ever in a 2D plane) and everything is bright, coloured and well detailed.

John
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 04 Feb 2015, 12:08

Finished CoD over the weekend, on Veteran with all intel only took about 8 hours over 3 sittings so shorter/easier than the older CoDs. It's okay pretty much what you expect of a new CoD, better than Ghosts, worse than Modern Warfare 1.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Apr 2015, 00:13

Which Call of Duty is that, Advanced Warfare?

I finished the police side of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, not particularly long but some of the latter races are utterly chaotic and a lot of fun - one of the final races is taking down a trio of Veyrons that are defended by a quartet of Koenisegg cars you have to bulldoze through to get to the Veyrons. The game lacks polish but it's cheap when in the sales and would recommend it for a slice of arcadey racing.

Also finished Shovel Knight which is a retro platformer similar to the old 8-bit era Megaman. The look feel is all well done and even simple stuff like the lack of tutorials or any hand holding definitely gives it an authentic feel. It's reasonably challenging with a lot of one hit deaths but at the same time it's not that hard either thankfully not opting for the super hard difficulty some 2D platformers now go for.

You control the titular shovel knight which as the name suggests is a Knight aimed with a shovel as a weapon. Attacks mostly consist of swiping with the shovel or doing a duck tales style jump attack by landing on enemies with the shovel pointed down. Throughout the game you can buy shovel upgrades, better armour and magic items that allow you to cast fireballs, throw anchors, phase out of time etc. There's a Mario 3 style map you roam around to find each of the evil knights and take them down in a fairly classic style boss fight where there's a lot of dying involved until you memorise their sequences and how to kill them.

I thought the game was a good throw back to the old 8-bit era and works well enough to be fun to play although I'm glad I waited for it in the sale as there's not that much play time for it.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 May 2015, 19:34

Just completed Wolfenstein the new order and feeling a bit mixed about it. On the plus sides the game looks great particularly its design and it's incredibly satisfying ripping through enemies with a variety of different weapons. Stealth sections would seem to be completely out of place but they're actually quite fun particularly as it's not really an issue if you get found as then it's time to crack out the dual assault rifles and tear everyone to shreds. The emotional cutscenes seem very out of place as well although there is a point later on where they blend well into the game.

Frustratingly while the game handles chucking lots of enemies at you and giving you lots of firepower to take them down, those moments are too few and far between. I found it increasingly irritating going through more and more empty rooms hoping it was going to kick off again sometime soon. The end of the game is just terrible, a really horrible badly designed boss followed by a very brief ending. After Deus Ex showing how bosses shouldn't be done it's surprising to see another AAA title get it so wrong as well, it really sours the end of a fairly decent game.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 22 May 2015, 22:01

Just finished wolfenstein old blood.

VERY short game (about 8 hours) designed as a prequel. If you've played the beginning of new order, you'll think you know where this ends. But it too has a crazy sort of end boss!

It has the same shoot run, shoot run, of the first. with a bit more thought on taking out the bigger enemies. But ultimately once you've killed them all in an area, you pretty much dont get any more until the next level.

Not bad and worth the £11 from cd-keys i reckon!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 May 2015, 22:52

Quite wanting a bit more Wolfenstein so will probably pick up old blood, it was only 12 hours for New order so eight hours sounds ok.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 May 2015, 01:26

I earned my freedom in the brilliant 10000000, a very clever mobile game which somehow mixes the extremely tired match three puzzle game type with a dungeon crawler and a running type game. Your character moves along the top of the screen and encounters enemies, chests or locked doors and you have quickly match weapon icons to take down enemies, keys to unlock chests/doors as well as shields to protect you against enemies, chests to give you items, stone/wood gives you materials to upgrade your base screen.

Upgrading your start screen gives you access to be able to unlock ability upgrades, weapon upgrades, shield/armour upgrades and finally potions. You earn experience during the stages to unlock abilities while you earn gold to buy upgrades to weapons, shields and armour. The potions generally make the game more difficult so you can get a 15% bonus in your score but enemies are tougher for example.

The ultimate goal of the game is simply to earn the titular 10000000 which you must do in one go which means reaching the last stage, the highest rank, pretty much all the upgrades and a few potions. It's quite achievable though, not one of those targets only the very best players will reach. It's a brilliant mobile game as you can play it for a couple of minutes since each run is reasonably short however it's easy to get hooked when you have the time and spend a good bit of time on it getting a bit further, get a bit more experience to unlock another ability, a bit more money to get a new weapon upgrade etc...

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 May 2015, 14:14

I've bought and finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood which in general I preferred over New Order, it feels much more like a classic Wolfenstein game with a focus on the Occult and going through old castles and catacombs plus there's almost no cutscenes which I much preferred. It feels like there's more action than New Order with a few big battles to work through and not quite as much sneaking around. I also liked that it feels like a prequel to New Order with more basic versions of many of the enemies found in New Order, some DLC or expansion packs go for fancier enemies and graphics even though it's meant to be a prequel.

One irritation though is that because it's standalone it means a huge download (actually 1GB larger than the original) despite the fact the prequel shares many of the same assets as the first game. The game is slightly shorter with Steam reporting 12 hours for New Order vs 8 hours for Old Blood but I suspect that difference would be less if you weren't counting all the cutscenes.

The challenges implementation seems a bit of a missed opportunity as well, as you go through the game you unlock them and I thought it was a horde mode basically where you'd be put back into setpoints in the game that you have to shoot your way out of. However instead of the enemies eventually stopping, the enemies would keep on coming until you die. It started off well as the gameplay for cutting down hordes of enemies is good and in this mode you get points depending on how you kill enemies but it turns out it's exactly the same setpiece as in the single player so it doesn't last for long, all it does is let you replay those segments and get scored on it.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Jun 2015, 00:58

It's been many, many years but I finally finished Doom and Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra-Violence. I've played through Doom a good few times but always given up on Thy Flesh Consumed which was an expansion chapter for the original game. I persevered this time as I hadn't realised the first level is one of the toughest official Doom maps as it's very small and there's very few supplies however after that the maps get easier.

Even after all these years it's still a surprisingly fun game while others like Quake really haven't aged well at all. It gets the basic gameplay just absolutely nailed as it's still fun to blast through the many demons between you and the exit.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 20 Jun 2015, 11:37

Also a slightly classic complete for me (it pales in comparison to John's classic though) is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I never played the Uncharted games originally, but I lent a friend my PS3 so he could play all the exclusives (he was an Xboxer) and it came back with the Uncharted series on it. So it would be rude not to try out some of these games.

On to the 2nd game now. Funny how much nicer the 2nd game looks compared to the first considering it's the same console and all. Wonder if the third will be another significant improvement.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Oct 2015, 15:10

I managed to break away from Destiny and fired up Ori and the Blind Forest which is a stunningly beautiful 2D platform with a Metroidvania style structyre that sees you progressively unlock abilities that allow you to go deeper into the world. It's billed as a difficult platformer but it's more annoying than difficult at times, you have to manually create save point and it's easy to forget to keep doing so which is irritating when you step onto the next screen and immediately die, the lush environment and many particle affects can make it difficult to actually see your own character at times and what threats there are. There's also a finicky move where you bounce off enemy projectiles which can be very unpredictable plus there's some long tricky sequences where you have only a moment to take each action and it can take many goes to work out what that action should be.

Despite that though it's immensely satisfying to pull off one of those sequences, once your character is upgraded there's a lot of moves you need to chain together and they flow so well together and the beautiful visual style and music make for some stunning sequences.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Nov 2015, 18:52

I completed Halo 5 which I haven't really warmed to even though there's elements I've wanted to see in a Halo game for so long, finally we get Blue Team who were the Master Chief's Fireteam before the first Halo game and it's interesting to see how the humankind is recovering from the brutal Covenant war. The original concept presented in the trailers looked appealing with the Master Chief shown in a cloak in damaged armour hunting a forerunner artifact and being chased by an elite bounty hunter now enhanced to a Spartan IV partnered with the Arbiter....except that has little to do with Halo 5, I assume there must have been a change of view at some point. What's left is pretty messy and poorly explained, I'm not keen on the storytelling mechanic where there is no story or explanation and instead you're supposed to find it out yourself outside of the game. There's little explanation given to either Locke or the Masterchief's teams and you learn nothing through the game. The Covenant civil war is still ongoing but the addition of the Covenant at all to the game feels pointless.

I wasn't keen on the graphics look either as while some of the characters are impressively well detailed, everything has a very fake look to it like it's been overly photoshopped. For both characters you're part of a four person fireteam which makes more sense for four player co-op rather than just more Masterchiefs as was before, when you're playing solo though the three other characters are AI controlled and they're just hilariously stupid. When you're bleeding out on the ground and desperately needing revived at times all the rest of your team will run up to you and do nothing. Or they'll make no effort to clear enemies and run straight up and try to revive you and one after another will get killed by the same enemy, similarly if they've been shot down themselves they often won't make any effort to get clear of the the threat so at one point I revived a pair of them three times in a row only for them to die straight away again as they just stood there getting blasted by the Wraith instead of nipping into cover. They also frequently block the way, stand in front of you when shooting etc. and of course have various quips when you do shoot them.

On the plus side the new armour mobility works fairly well with no armour abilities and instead you get dashes, slams and boosted melee attacks builtin by default. The prometheans aren't quite the same bullet sponges they were in Halo 4 either, after some damage smaller units will open their chest to reveal a weak point that a precision hit will destroy and the larger units have weak points that can be exploited to knock chunks of their armour off to quickly weaken them. It's one of the main aspects I liked about Halo Reach that almost every enemy in the game could be killed in two or three shots.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Nov 2015, 14:34

Not sure if I've ever properly posted in this thread with a completed game but here goes...:

Single player campaign on Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS! (actually a week or so ago now) :D

Return to “Gaming”