Completed any games recently?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Completed any games recently?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Feb 2014, 01:18

No, I haven't heard of it - booting up the 925 now to have a look.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Feb 2014, 01:49

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favourite games of recent times, I bought the Wii-U version recently to give me an excuse to play through it again. There was an awful lot I though they did really well, it felt like you could develop the character as you wanted as there were genuinely multiple paths through the game the conversation responses weren't just 'very good', 'very evil' or 'neutral'. In particular though what I think they did particularly well was the feel of the game with the distinctive design of the environment, being able to explore more than what you needed (you go rooting through many 'pointless' rooms but it made it all feel a bit more convincing) and a great soundtrack plus the fake product trailers helped:

(I love the music track in that one)

The concept doesn't seem that ridiculous either as since the game's release a lady had her damaged arm removed (due to nerve damage in her shoulder it was no longer functional) and replaced with a prosthetic, the first time a limb had been intentionally removed. Also the augmetic eyes are very reminiscent of Google glass.

John
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 14 Feb 2014, 10:31

Finally got around to completing series 1 of The Walking Dead (yes, series, because I'm not American!) After complaining that I didn't feel the love after episode 3, I found episode 4 and 5 to be much more compelling. As Scar says, very good ending. Still question Telltale's gameplay at times though, occassionally I am just holding the control stick in one direction, as if it's a play button! They actually made me cover a grave by clicking on the dirt and then on the hole and then repeat several times! But it's a good story.

Then I thought I'd have a go at The Wolf Among Us. Blimey, everything I complained about Telltale a moment ago, I take back, that was an awesome episode 1!

Thought I'd do episode 2, bought the season pass... and it isn't letting me download episode 2 without paying. Have a look online and it turns out this is a known issue... 6 DAYS AGO! I raged, sent a nastygram to Telltale telling them that they cannot sell a knowingly broken product and they should pull the season pass or put up a warning that there are issues and all I get is a generic, "we hope to fix this problem soon."

So I'm disliking Telltale again!

I have some anger issues right now...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 16 Feb 2014, 01:08

Telltale/MS sent me an Xbox message containing a serial for episode 2 before I knew there was an issue, so I'm ok with them. Have to say that opening with Woody caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting it to be quite as involved.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 20 Feb 2014, 13:22

Enjoyed episode 2 of Wolfie (once they patched it to work). Not as good as the first, but that was rather special. I am finding this a lot more involved, albeit quick time-esque button pressing, than The Walking Dead.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 03 Mar 2014, 12:40

Ryse : Son of Rome - Pretty fun, looks pretty took less than 4 hours. All in all wait for it to be cheap. Multiplayer is pretty good, but there is much more to play so won't be spending much time with it.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Mar 2014, 15:10

have you played dead rising 3? my bro was umming and arrr ing over ryse or DR3.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 03 Mar 2014, 21:15

Yep finished DR3, it's good fun can be a little repetitive but its killing 1000s or zombies so whats not to like. Its still very similar to the other DR games but more accessible so if he liked the others then he'll probably like 3. Probably worth the money more than Ryse.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Mar 2014, 21:28

ta, he's sticking with amazon as he's not to worried about either and more worried about getting a day one release console. Not sure he/I trust zavvi to deliver.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Mar 2014, 01:32

After a second go on the Elite Four I completed Pokemon Y on the 3DS, I think something must have gone wrong on the first run as a single pokemon slaughtered my entire lot which shouldn't have been possible. Once you finish the Elite four and champion, it unlocks more legendary pokemon to catch so went to get one of those, forgot to save beforehand, tried again then realised you couldn't fight it again.

I read a suggestion that doing the Elite four again would bring it back so headed off to do them again which I didn't think would be an issue as I had the same team but slightly more powerful. As I got past the point of no return to start I realised I'd made another huge cock-up as I'd swapped my ice/water Pokemon for a low level water one to level it up, not only would it be completely useless against the Elite four but I'd be missing the vital ice type which is super effective against one of the Elite four. Managed to scrape through with a bit of luck so off to see if this legendary has reappeared.

The funny thing is I see people complaining about the low resolution of the 3DS screens making it unplayable compared to the Vita, I've now sunk over 30 hours into Pokemon Y and still not in the slightest bit bored of it.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Mar 2014, 11:42

I do need to get that game John.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Mar 2014, 01:10

Definitely, it's my favourite game for the 3DS (and that's saying something given the amount of high quality titles there are for it) although I can't really put my finger on why. I'm not normally bothered about this sort of game but rather than get bored by each battle, I'm keen to get onto the next and tweak my strategy to improve the damage dealt.

What's impressive is that after watching Twitch plays Pokemon (the original) you realise aside from graphical improvements, the game is largely exactly the same as the original yet it's still enjoyable which is impressive. What's also quite incredible is how robust the original game is given how bizarre the gameplay si on that stream yet the game seems to tolerate it all.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Mar 2014, 23:34

After lowering the difficulty on R-type final one notch, I've managed to finish it on all three paths. Turns out there isn't much difference in the difficulty bar you keep your powerups, I was quickly glad I changed down because on some levels it was taking a long, long time even on the easier setting to get through. Some of the difficulty is just working out what to do before you're blown up whereas some levels are just a nightmare as there's so many enemies and bullets that it's difficult to work out how to move through.

The game is a bit like Gran Turismo in that there are 101 ships to unlock consisting of ships from all the different games, variations of them, ships from different games and many new ones. They vary considerably in their weaponry and it's not in any way balanced so some have utterly rubbish force pods, wave cannons and other weapons while some of the ships are tremendously powerful. I managed to finish the game on the second run with the predecessor to the R-type 3 ship which boasts a powerful charge up cannon that only charges up twice but can blow away a lot of enemies with that shot as it travels through anything.

The game lets you choose the R-type 3 ship complete with its powerful wave cannon and highly damaging force pod and there's also an upgraded version of the main charge up cannon which is the most powerful in the game. While most ships can only charge up once or twice, this one can charge up seven times over producing a colossal blast which travels through anything on the screen and can destroy any enemy, even bosses in one hit. The slight hitch though is that the charge up time is ridiculous as the power of the cannon so it takes a long, long time before it reaches full power.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Mar 2014, 02:38

Managed to finish R-type final on all the different paths and unlocked the mighty R-90 Ragnorok...except I forgot it didn't have the super powerful cyclone pod nor the wave canon, instead all its weaponry is focused on a widespread of weak firepower. That made some difficult sections much easier where the areas were flooded with enemies and bullets but it made bosses somewhat frustrating as its complete lack of focused power meant it could inflict little damage.

A frustrating hour later unlocked the Ragnorok II this time with the proper pod and wave cannon which is absolutely hilarious to use as it can blow away anything with health in just a single shot plus its pod can inflict huge amounts of damage on anything it touches. However time saved on the bosses was lost on the bullet storm sections of the levels where masses of small enemies just flood in and open fire, the pod weapons have little spread making it very difficult to defend the ship and needing a lot of precise movement...and a lot of cursing at the screen.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 May 2014, 23:27

As you might've read earlier today, I've bought a 3DS XL. Wasn't sure where to put this question and didn't think it warranted a new thread so will ask here as you may have completed said games.

What games would you recommend for the Nintendo 3DS? Could be new or older DS games. Maybe even downloadable games.

Got Super Mario 3D world coming. Will want to get Zelda ALBW and maybe a Lego game but open to any suggestions you might have!

Return to “Gaming”