Completed any games recently?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Completed any games recently?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jan 2014, 03:11

I spent a while pottering around on Zelda as I didn't want it to be over, the idea of hero mode didn't really appeal as it seemed a bit of a cheap way to increase difficulty but will probably give it a go at some point.

I've just finished a fun little game I bought in the Steam sale called Gas Guzzlers Extreme which is a sort of combat orientated racing game. The trailer appealed to me for the Unreal announcer, there's a lot wrong with the game but what it gets spot on and makes it a lot of fun is the blowing up other cars. You choose a base weapon for your car (shotguns, gattling cannons, rocket launcher, artillery, rail guns, nuclear rocket launcher (I'm not kidding!)) and then items you can pick up on the track (mines, oil slick, smoke, nitrous boost) although unusually your onboard weaponry is the more deadly. The initial weapons are easy to use and numerous but the top weapons are difficult to use, very limited but incredibly deadly when used correctly.

In the initial race I had no idea what was going on as the game drops you right in it, not much seemed to be happening until I went under a banner labelled Free Zone which marks the point the onboard weapons are activated and it just went completely mad as all the cars unloaded their weaponry. I didn't care where I was in the race but just kept battering the launch button to keep firing missiles.

Blowing up another car takes them out of the race permanently and it also gives you a nitrous boost so even if you drop right back you can work back up the field by blowing away cars. The rubber banding AI is terrible as they go impossibly fast but for once it doesn't matter because it's extremely satisfying to blow a car away with a well timed missile when they overtake.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Jan 2014, 03:39

I finished Bioshock Infinite and somehow did so without any spoilers so will put the rest of this post with spoiler tags to ensure I don't spoil it for anyone else.

Spoiler:
I wasn't keen on the game at all as I'm not a fan of Steampunk, it seems an odd contradiction to me so I'd tried the game a couple of times but not got far. When I saw the spate of game of the year awards I thought I'd give it another go and follow through.

Bioshock never clicked with me either, partially I think because it felt like a poor relation to System Shock 2 which I think very much lives up to its incredibly high reputation but I enjoyed Infinite more than Bioshock. The gun combat felt better to the degree I think they should have left out the Vigors, the game's pace is a bit slow to begin with but does start to pick up to a decent rate once Elizabeth starts opening tears.

I liked some of the design of Columbia but the level progression felt like it wasted the environment, it largely seemed to be going from point a to point b and never really felt like you were properly exploring the environment and getting a feel for the city in the clouds. It was great being able to see the city in its prime before it was wrecked as too frequently you only see the game after some terrible event has happened and always wonder what it was like before.

The ending of course was quite something, I would have preferred the game develop the multiple universes a bit further than just pulling stuff through the tears but it was still quite a moment when you realise you're in rapture.

Aside from the oddly large eyes, Elizabeth was surprisingly not annoying for an in game companion and the wear and tear on her outfits and her worked very well. It's a shame in the end she dies even though Anne and DeWitt survive if I've understood the ending correctly.
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Fodder » 15 Jan 2014, 10:22

Erm, you may want to correct your spoiler tags there John!
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 15 Jan 2014, 10:35

Fodder wrote:Erm, you may want to correct your spoiler tags there John!

It's made funnier by his kind consideration of using them in the first place. "Son, I had a very privaledged upbringing and I want you to have the same. By the way, we're kicking you out, selling the house and moving to Australia. Don't try to find us. Good luck on the streets."
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Jan 2014, 14:48

Fodder wrote:Erm, you may want to correct your spoiler tags there John!

Really hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone :(
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 20 Jan 2014, 13:37

I completed Super Mario 3d World on the 3ds, very enjoyable 11 hours I must say!

Was quite easy getting all the star coins, I guess because of the nature of the camera being fixed there is only so hidden they can be, but was great fun getting them all.

The 3d effect was amazing I thought, and one of the best I have seen on the 3ds so far. Really makes me hope they do not abandon 3d for the next version of the console.

j
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 21 Jan 2014, 10:33

Johnmcl7 wrote:Really hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone :(

Oh, no. Bioshock Infinite managed to spoil that game all by itself! :lol:

Actually Elizabeth is awesome.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 24 Jan 2014, 01:12

Recently finished Rage, on the back of a third (or fourth?) wind. Less dull than Borederlands, but took over a year and several attempts to put it out of its misery.

It all ended in a "Good grief! Is that it?" damp squib, but at least the completist itch has been scratched.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 24 Jan 2014, 10:13

Finally finished the first series of The Walking Dead, very good excellent ending. Then started on The Wolf Among Us which, in my opinion, is even better looking forward to episode 2 of that more than playing series 2 of The Walking Dead.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 24 Jan 2014, 10:21

I managed three episodes on The Walking Dead, but, something didn't keep me coming back for more. I think I just dislike zombies! I do feel the need to complete it, however, just (as SWW says) to satisfy that completist itch.

I do have The Wolf Among Us downloaded and ready to go to see if it's just Telltale I wasn't getting on with or the setting.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 24 Jan 2014, 10:29

The only real problem with The Wolf Among Us is the engine is quite buggy so it can hang in a few places. I got the series pass for about £6 over christmas so I think I can get that much entertainment out of it.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Jan 2014, 18:11

Tappy wrote:
Johnmcl7 wrote:Really hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone :(

Oh, no. Bioshock Infinite managed to spoil that game all by itself! :lol:

Actually Elizabeth is awesome.

She is implemented extremely well, an NPC I don't want to kill is good but it's very unusual to have one you genuinely want to protect.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Feb 2014, 00:10

After many recommendations I've finished Far Cry 3 and would highly recommend it. The single player is generally rubbish with the usual heavily scripted missions that don't in any way take advantage of the great open world gameplay instead forcing you to play the game in a fixed way.

However outside the missions the game is really good, to expand your ammo capacity, inventory etc. you can hunt animals with different types needing different animal skins. Then there's the bases, to take them over you have to kill all the enemies so you can mark them all with a bit of scouting then go in and try to either kill them all sneakily or go in all guns blazing. You get higher XP if the alarms aren't set off and even more if you kill everyone without being seen but if you go in all guns blazing you can also get some nice XP bonuses with big multi-kills. I ended up going in all stealthy even though you don't have to and found it a lot of fun planning out my routes, it gets better as you get more advanced stealth kills and weaponry so by the last bases I was speeding through them chaining together all my kills in a very satisfying way.

What's also rather amusing is that while you're sneaking around a base sometimes your own soldiers will attack...sometimes just as I was about to get a knife into the back of an enemy he would suddenly see me as he'd turned round to attack some of my soldiers I didn't realise had arrived and blew my cover. The animals can add a bit of a twist to it as well, while creeping up to a base I heard a growl and turned round to find a tiger about to attack so I whipped round and blew it apart with a shotgun immediately alerting the entire base I was there. Another time I'd failed several times to get a base downed without anyone seeing me when I noticed some of the enemies I hadn't killed were missing. I crept round and found a dead body but no sigh of what had killed it. There were a few more dead bodies and then I found a dead bear, while I'd been sneaking around the back I hadn't notice the bear coming and mauling half the base.

There's also side missions where you have to kill an enemy commander with a knife, he's usually in some small area surrounded by soldiers guarding him. The knife requirement was annoying at first but it was enjoyable sneaking around particularly when you could get to the target, slit his throat and away without anyone spotting you.

Just such a shame the missions don't use any of this as it mostly works so well, I'd geared myself up fairly stealthy with a sniper rifle, bow and arrow, a shotgun (for when stealth went wrong) and a rocket launcher (for when it really went wrong) but while this worked well taking enemies out quietly at range, it was fairly hopeless for some of the missions where you have to charge along under constant fire.

Still, I enjoyed the side missions enough that I liked the game overall particularly as it's cheap. Onto Blood Dragon now.

John
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 05 Feb 2014, 19:30

Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. Good grief! Potent redemption indeed for the franchise prequel, which pre-dates the superlative adventures of JC Denton in Deus Ex and the clumsy turkey that was the lazily ported Invisible War.

It's been a long, long time since a relatively conventional plot driven game has reeled me in quite like this one. I've led a spoiled gaming existence in recent years, revelling in open world games, early access alphas and quirky mods, having been routinely disappointed by a string of miserably uninvolving supposed big hitters. I'm looking at you, Dead Island, Rage, Borederlands, Bioshock, Divine Divinity DKS ...

DX: HR was a Steam sale purchase, on the premise of sub-fiver games being a risk more often worth taking. It languished unplayed in my library, tainted by the long remembered sour taste of DX:IW and the presence of many rivals vying for game time. The Director's Cut was later released and heavily discounted for existing owners, with the additional three quid only doubling the overall price I paid.

As it turns out, DX:HR was an unusual exception to my once-bitten skepticism saving me from further disappointment. Better late than never, this puts the series back in consideration as one of my all time favourites.

I can't quite put my finger on what makes DX:HR special, mainly because it delivers so many things in combination. Compelling story in an engaging world, role playing elements with moral choices, first/third person hybrid perspective, stealth, power progression, an immersive atmosphere. There are man-days worth of reading material on this game, so I won't dip into anything specific.

What does the Director's Cut add? Seamless integration of The Missing Link plot and the DLC, plus revised boss encounters and a variety of tweaks. I almost wish I had paid more, to show my appreciation. What I did do was buy two gift copies yesterday at 75% discount, as future birthday presents.

Deus Ex: HR has that magic blend that makes me want to play again already ... after only finishing late last night. This experience has compared with the legendary (IMHO) STALKER, Thief and Elder Scrolls series for gaming excellence.

Caveat Emptor: The opinions expressed herein are those of someone with unconventional tastes ... deliberately buying an ancient phone, having a low opinion of Top Gear, enjoying Johnny Depp's The Lone Ranger, being a complete iDont and not having a LifeInvader or Bleater account. Vive La Difference!
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 06 Feb 2014, 00:07

Johnmcl7 wrote:And still I can't pull myself away from Super Hexagon...there was a new update and people warned it wiped your progress and you had to start again. Worryingly this appealed to me so I went ahead with it and sure enough it wiped my progress so with a smile on my face I sat down and had a go at beating all the levels again which I managed to do in one sitting to my surprise. I was amused to note the next day they fixed the bug so it was all pointless but that didn't bother me.

Wired had an article up about it:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ng-hexagon

I find the slowdown thing happens as well but what's weird is when you snap out of it as you realise you're about to get to the 60 seconds or reached a certain point and suddenly everything seems to be going far too fast.

John

John, you tried I am Box on WP8 yet? http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store ... 4bafffefdb

Return to “Gaming”