Completed any games recently?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Re: Completed any games recently?

Postby Southwestwall » 24 Sep 2013, 00:09

Not finished any games for quite a while, as I've been sat in the sandbox.

ArmA 3 alpha through to release, plus mods already. DayZ and its ArmA 2 OA base. Revisited GTA IV in freeplay mode to boost a few cars, blast some pigeons and generally arse about on wheels.

Seen Heroes and Generals through from alpha to beta and still with the Forgotten Hope 2 team soldiering on into the twilight of BF2 modding.

At some point I might play a conventional story arc game to completion, but I'm in no hurry.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Nov 2013, 02:07

I've been wanting to make this post for a long, long time but I just haven't managed to make it, I've sunk 19 hours into the PC version of the game and a similar amount into the mobile version of the game. I had broken free of my addiction until my brother mentioned the game in passing and I thought it would work well on the Z Ultra which it did. It's very difficult to explain why I play this game so much as there's very little to it but it feels like going back to the Commodore 64 days when games couldn't have much content so they were brutally hard to hide that

The game in question is Super Hexagon and today I finally managed to survive for over 60 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest which is the toughest difficulty running at double speed. That doesn't sound like much but games can be short as one and a half seconds and at any one time not moving the target perfectly means game over, a fraction too soon you'll catch it on something as will moving a fraction too late. Plus not quite moving it the correct distance will usually end the game as well as you don't have the time or precision to make small adjustments.

Despite this though the game is surprisingly addictive which remind of some of the Treasure shooters like Gradius V and Ikaruga which I guess is because you do get better and it's immensely rewarding getting further and further into each level when at the start you never thought it possible.

This is a sample of the gameplay from the final level:

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 07 Nov 2013, 13:37

Jesus, that looks hard!

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Nov 2013, 00:52

John: hats off to you!!

I haven't played Super Hexagon in ages but don't think I ever got more than 15 seconds - on an easy level!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Nov 2013, 02:22

Although it doesn't look anything like them, in a way the game is similar to the likes of Guitar Hero where you're not really thinking about which button to press, you just react automatically when you see the colour. In Super Hexagon it feels hopeless initially because you're trying to work out what you need to do and you just can't react quickly enough however the more you play it, the quicker you start to recognise the patterns and then immediately react correctly.

What makes it difficult is you can get into a good rhythm and you're doing all the moving without thinking about it then you hear the announcer say 'Pentagon' so you know you're on the final stretch which snaps you out of it then you screw up. It's also weird in the way you can only play for so long in a session as the more you play it and try to beat it you just get worse, generally it's the first few games in each session which are the best.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Nov 2013, 03:05

We were discussing achievements on the Xbox thread, they're not something I've ever actively sought out but there is one I've very much wanted from the start which unsurprisingly is the one to mark complete Super Hexagon on all six difficulty levels. Completing it on the phone was good but it's not stored anywhere so tonight I decided to have a blast at the PC version and managed after a good few goes so that's all six achievements unlocked and saved.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Dec 2013, 02:49

And still I can't pull myself away from Super Hexagon...there was a new update and people warned it wiped your progress and you had to start again. Worryingly this appealed to me so I went ahead with it and sure enough it wiped my progress so with a smile on my face I sat down and had a go at beating all the levels again which I managed to do in one sitting to my surprise. I was amused to note the next day they fixed the bug so it was all pointless but that didn't bother me.

Wired had an article up about it:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ng-hexagon

I find the slowdown thing happens as well but what's weird is when you snap out of it as you realise you're about to get to the 60 seconds or reached a certain point and suddenly everything seems to be going far too fast.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Dec 2013, 02:11

I finished Zelda Link between two worlds which took around 23 hours in total which included a lot of wandering around and getting most of the items. I guess as always with a good game I really wanted a bit more to it but I can't complain as I've absolutely loved the game and think it's probably my game of the year.

It's kind of a remake/sequel to the original Snes game Zelda - Link to the Past, much of the gameplay, items and maps are the same but they've still managed to make significant changes doing a fantastic job of mixing old and new. I actually can't believe they ever made the game, particularly the moments when you go into a new section and the game starts playing one of the original tunes but a high quality orchestral version instead.

One of the big changes they've made that changes part of the classic Zelda formulae is you no longer get new weapons and items in dungeons, previously completing a dungeon would give you the crucial item to get to the next dungeon and so on.

Instead you're given the choice to rent any weapon (with some restrictions to guide progress at times) or you can splash out and buy the weapon instead. A rented weapon gets taken off you when you die which can be a bit of a nightmare in the middle of a dungeon although the game design is usually clever enough to work around it. I didn't initially like this idea at all but as the game progresses you can see why they did it, as there's no fixed order there's more of an open world feeling to go out explore the world and do it as you want to rather than following a fixed path.

Also many of the secret rooms and hidden sections of the world contain bonus rupees, the more of these you can find the quicker you can buy weapons rather than rent them so it motivates you further to really search every nook and crannie.

Another big change is that while you still have arrows, bombs and other consumables they no longer consume physical items. Instead you have a generic energy bar which is depleted when you place a bomb, shoot an arrow and even when you use the boomerang or grappling hook. I liked this change from the start as it really encourages you to make full use of your weapons as the energy bar recharges itself.

Highly recommended unsurprisingly...
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Dec 2013, 10:27

Completed Bioshock Infinite on the PC on the weekend.

The game, by all accounts is great, but I was expecting more from the story. It's probably just down to the reaction I had to System Shock 2 and Bioshock making me expect so much and try to figure it out beforehand.

Only real annoyance with the game was the mouse speed, it would change halfway through a playthrough and always felt wrong.
Last edited by Tappy on 18 Dec 2013, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Dec 2013, 15:07

Johnmcl7 wrote:I finished Zelda Link between two worlds which took around 23 hours...

Once the 3DS XL gets a little cheaper then I'll get one and this Zelda game. Not played a Zelda game since Phantom Hourglass (which is years ago now!) and never completed that as I got annoyed with the sailing between worlds which seemed to take forever - something that I remember Yahtzee/Zero punctuation talked about in his review. Never played Link to the Past either so hoping good things for this! Also enjoy how accurately you say around 23 hours. :D
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Dec 2013, 23:43

I'd highly recommend you grab a SNES emulator and give Link to the Past a go, while you don't need to have played it before Link between two worlds it's still a great game and will give you a good taste of what the new version offers. As for the 23 hours, I checked on the 3DS clock counter ;) I was genuinely curious how long I'd spent on the game, it's a shame there's one little bit at the end that I wish they'd extended:
Spoiler:
There's a tower which is separate to the main storyline that you take on floors of enemies, it has several difficulty levels with the final one comprising 50 floors of varying enemies you have to survive. I played it near the end before I was fully powered up which was a bit of a challenge but when I went back at the end of the game while it was fun putting my fully upgraded stuff to good use, it was too easy. I'd have liked to see a mode with more levels or even just endless so you could actually make good use of upgrading all the weaponry, armour etc.

Bioshock Infinite is next on my list although that mouse look issue sounds very annoying.

I've just finished Space Marine which for some reason I enjoyed a lot more than the first time I played it. The game uses the Darksiders engine but there's none of the puzzle element to it, combos are quite simple (batter one button to attack, mix in the other for stuns) and there's not much variation in the maps which are just going from one point to another. However what the game really gets right is making you feel like genetically enhanced power armour wearing immortal and untouchable warrior, the kick of the guns and sheer violence of the close combat works really, really well. Using your jet pack to hop into the air then slam down with a thunder hammer then swing back, charge it up and blow it throw it through a huge ork rarely gets boring:

Although there's little variety in the combos, the game keeps the combat interesting by gradually introducing new weapons and abilities throughout the game. You're frequently given the choice to change your weapons so you can try out different sets as and when you want. The first time I played through the game I always went with the huge thunder hammer when it was an option, it's absolutely brutal in close combat with just about any weapon in the game but you lose both your heavy weapon slots. This time I opted for lighter close combat weaponry to keep my ranged weaponry which worked just as well but gave a bit more variety.

It's just a shame that's the end of the series as they clearly had bigger intentions, I disliked their choice of Ultramarines as they're the 'stock' Space Marines and completely boring but the choice was intentional so the main character could break away from chapter and forge his own force. Although the studio (Relic) was sold to Sega after THQ went bust, apparently the Warhammer 40K license didn't go with them.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Dec 2013, 04:14

Finally finished Terraria...sort of anyway, there was a big update which added new features but not all of them area available for maps created before the patch. So my brother and I have done everything we can in our world including defeating all the final bosses but can't do all the content that was added in the patch.

I would feel the game good value for money if I'd paid £40 for it so having paid a couple of pounds for it, I feel almost guilty about paying so little for so much fun. The game is frequently referred to as a 2D Minecraft and while many of the elements look similar, it's more like a cross between Minecraft and an RPG. You start in a world and have to build a house and then start mining for ores and better items but the goal of the game isn't to just build as you want but to keep getting better items which allow you to go further into the world and get better items etc.

There are four bosses initially and defeating the fourth triggers the game's hardmode, the world is the same but it gets populated with tougher enemies on top of the existing ones and new tougher bosses as well. So again you're digging through caverns to find better items etc. Although it's not quite as simple as that as there's a large array of wargear and potions so preparing for a bossfight can take quite a bit of time in working out what is going to be the best solution.

The big downside to the game is that it's hard to get started with and it's also difficult at times to know what you're meant to be doing. I tried it a few times initially but got nowhere until my brother and I decided to make a go of it. We got started well but after a while we were really struggling against the enemies and found out there was a few things we should have been doing to get better wargear to take on the enemies in the area we were trying to progress.

John
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Combat Marmot » 31 Dec 2013, 10:56

I finished Monkey Island special addition which I bought a few days ago in the Steam sale. I'm typically quite undecided about point-and-click adventures as I can get quite impatient with them and the "try everything with everything" approach that they can require. Grim Fandango was one that I really enjoyed but never quite finished.

Monkey Island is actually a little shorter than I had expected although I must confess to using the hints quite a lot to get through some sections.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 31 Dec 2013, 13:55

Johnmcl7 wrote:I've just finished Space Marine which for some reason I enjoyed a lot more than the first time I played it. The game uses the Darksiders engine but there's none of the puzzle element to it, combos are quite simple (batter one button to attack, mix in the other for stuns) and there's not much variation in the maps which are just going from one point to another. However what the game really gets right is making you feel like genetically enhanced power armour wearing immortal and untouchable warrior, the kick of the guns and sheer violence of the close combat works really, really well. Using your jet pack to hop into the air then slam down with a thunder hammer then swing back, charge it up and blow it throw it through a huge ork rarely gets boring:

Although there's little variety in the combos, the game keeps the combat interesting by gradually introducing new weapons and abilities throughout the game. You're frequently given the choice to change your weapons so you can try out different sets as and when you want. The first time I played through the game I always went with the huge thunder hammer when it was an option, it's absolutely brutal in close combat with just about any weapon in the game but you lose both your heavy weapon slots. This time I opted for lighter close combat weaponry to keep my ranged weaponry which worked just as well but gave a bit more variety.

It's just a shame that's the end of the series as they clearly had bigger intentions, I disliked their choice of Ultramarines as they're the 'stock' Space Marines and completely boring but the choice was intentional so the main character could break away from chapter and forge his own force. Although the studio (Relic) was sold to Sega after THQ went bust, apparently the Warhammer 40K license didn't go with them.

John

I got Space Marine very cheap from GMG with some DLCs (also had some credit) so will try to play it in the next few days, of course if the kids will allow me to :lol:
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Jan 2014, 13:10

Well, finished Zelda, Link Between Worlds the other day. 18 hours 42 minutes (didn't know there was an activity tracker!). Lived every minute of it! Found it fairly easy, got all the minimai octopus things, 4 bottles, both tunics and shields and only had 2 hearts left to find. So pretty much did everything. Dungeons were a lot of fun, puzzles were really intuitive and never got stuck for more than a couple of minutes. They way they are designed is so clever and never once had me thinking they were unfair.

Music and graphics were excellent and the freedom was a nice change. No messing around, just give me some fun tools to play with and let me go and explore. Quite refreshing as I have played every Zelda game, some multiple times and this really felt like a game for fans.

Also finished Castlevania mirror of fate on 3ds. Great graphics and music too. 3d effect was excellent! Bit short, only took me 8 and a half hours on medium difficulty. But was good fun and recommend it if you see it at less than £20.

J

Return to “Gaming”