What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 02 Jul 2017, 15:16

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Sounds like the Forza Horizon developers need to play some Breath Of The Wild...

But if they did that it'd end up raining every 2 minutes and you wouldn't be able to go up hills anymore and your wheels would break every other corner, all while having no actual sense of what your supposed to be doing or any urgency to your ultimate goal.

I've been trying to finish Zelda the last week or so, it's really failing to engage me. There's no real character progression, the breakable weapons means exploring is more an exercise in wasting time, the best case after an hour exploring leaves you no worse off than you were but more often than is strictly fun you end up wasting your best weapons and finding nothing of value. The worst thing about exploring though is the rain, it serves no propose other than to frustrate progress, which is already slowed by the reasonable stamina system, many times I've been half way up a mountain when the rain has started leaving me stuck with the choice of waiting 10 minutes for it to stop or abandoning the climb. I bought the season pass the other day so I guess I'm conflicted, it's one of the best 7/10 I've played, but if it didn't have the Nintendo/Zelda name on it no one would be as hyped for it as they are.

I've gone and reinstalled Sims 4, that is a game I think I like more than I actually do. I spent a while building a house, it was like work but with less functional tools and sense of what space was required I gave up half way through and stuck the bare minimum utilities to function and got on with the living bit of the game, I don't understand why this exists, it's like a clicker with prettier graphics, how does my missus spend hours on this? I turned it off shortly after.

Tried some Torment Tides of Numenera, there is a lot of text to read, visual novel levels of text, I've been playing over and hour and all I've done is click through text. I get a sense that this is a game I might really like, I loved Planescape when I first played it and this is it's spiritual successor, so maybe.

FIFA 17, seems far too easy 10-0 on the top difficulty? I don't even like football, maybe it's something to do with only really playing the story mode? Makes my hands hurt.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Jul 2017, 00:50

I've never really got into the sims games either and quickly got bored of trying to balance the needs of the sims. This sort of Sims stuff looks brilliant though:

http://imgur.com/gallery/SwDy8

My friends are trying to get me back into Gears for some inconceivable runs by camping on a certain level but really can't handle any more of it. I was also trying some VR games but really couldn't get into the mood for it for some reason.

I've been playing a simple puzzle game called Tricky Towers on Steam which is a four player game that can be played locally or online which is like Tetris but...no wait, I can hear you sigh but this is genuinely good and unique twist. The goal isn't to clear lines, instead you have to build your shapes up to reach the top first which sounds easy but the blocks are subject to physics so the whole tower can wobble, the blocks can sit at an angle and slide. Making a mistake can be very costly as it can cause the entire tower to fall down. It's a tricky balance because spending time to make a very solid tower can lose you the game while racing up to the top can end up having the whole thing collapse. Also to spice it up once you reach certain heights you get item unlocks which can be used to either help you or attack the others. Unfortunately it's quiet online so it's difficult to get a game but been having a good laugh with it.

John
You are outnumbered four to one by enemy titans, keep calm and focused
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Jul 2017, 08:48

Johnmcl7 wrote:
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:There's been open world games with proper choice long before Breath of the Wild was even thought of but some game designers seem to think they know best.

I more mean in how BOTW teases and hints at interesting things and secrets to be found through clever and interesting world design. I can't really think of a game that has done this so well before. Not really the fact it's open world and you can go and do what you want, as like you say, that's been done before many times.

j

That's pretty much how I'd describe most decent open world games....it's about the most tenuous link possible to the Switch or Zelda.

John

It was just a lighthearted comment about how a games design principles could be transferred to another, no need to get antsy about it :)

j
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Jul 2017, 08:57

scarbunny wrote:many times I've been half way up a mountain when the rain has started leaving me stuck with the choice of waiting 10 minutes for it to stop or abandoning the climb.

Just incase you didn't know, with the climbing gear, you can actually keep making progress up most mountains when it rains if you time your jumps right and obviously stamina and movement speed potions help here too. Only been caught out a handful of times in the rain once I got my tactics down.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Jul 2017, 10:17

Johnmcl7 wrote:
That's pretty much how I'd describe most decent open world games....it's about the most tenuous link possible to the Switch or Zelda.

John

It was just a lighthearted comment about how a games design principles could be transferred to another, no need to get antsy about it :)

j

You don't need to compare every game and service to the Switch or Zelda, we're not going to report you to Nintendo.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Jul 2017, 10:33

Lots of grumpy in here...

j
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 03 Jul 2017, 11:19

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Lots of grumpy in here...

j

Tbf, I know a few Scottish people and, just to stereotype the entire nation, this is them when they are happy. You wouldn't like them when they're angry...!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Jul 2017, 11:20

Tappy wrote:Source of the post

j

Tbf, I know a few Scottish people and, just to stereotype the entire nation, this is them when they are happy. You wouldn't like them when they're angry...!

Haha! They need to play some more Nintendo games :slap:

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Jul 2017, 22:30

j

Well you'd know better than me, you're certainly not a cheery person if anyone is remotely critical of Nintendo or anything they do and it gets tiresome when it seems every single product, no matter how unrelated has to be compared or measured against Nintendo...like Undertale and FH3.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Jul 2017, 22:40

Can't we all just get along.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 04 Jul 2017, 08:38

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post

j

Well you'd know better than me, you're certainly not a cheery person if anyone is remotely critical of Nintendo or anything they do and it gets tiresome when it seems every single product, no matter how unrelated has to be compared or measured against Nintendo...like Undertale and FH3.

John

Really? I don;t feel I ever defend Nintendo without some kind of reasonable factual opinion to back it up. Please find some examples and I'll consider changing my ways if it really is unreasonable and annoying - I don't want to be that guy.

In regards to comparing FH3 Zelda, you said "it's fantastic to have sim like cars in a wide open world but marred by terrible design" - Zelda is a open world game with fantastic design, so I just made a light hearted comment that games designers could probably take some cues from it. Nothing to get upset about.

This thread is called what are you playing at the minute, and I'm playing a lot of the Switch, so yeah, Nintendo is getting a lot of love at the moment. Sorry that annoys you so much, I'll pipe down and start contributing to the forum less.

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 04 Jul 2017, 13:30

matt wrote:Source of the post Can't we all just get along.

^^

I've not played the xbox in a month. Getting a new dog / job has absorbed any free time.

looking forward to the new crackdown. Hopefully, it's stable on the xbone.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Jul 2017, 01:47

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post

j

John

Really? I don;t feel I ever defend Nintendo without some kind of reasonable factual opinion to back it up. Please find some examples and I'll consider changing my ways if it really is unreasonable and annoying - I don't want to be that guy.

In regards to comparing FH3 Zelda, you said "it's fantastic to have sim like cars in a wide open world but marred by terrible design" - Zelda is a open world game with fantastic design, so I just made a light hearted comment that games designers could probably take some cues from it. Nothing to get upset about.

This thread is called what are you playing at the minute, and I'm playing a lot of the Switch, so yeah, Nintendo is getting a lot of love at the moment. Sorry that annoys you so much, I'll pipe down and start contributing to the forum less.

j

Believing that it's 'light hearted' to make irrelevant or tenuous links to Nintendo is very much being 'that guy' as is believing everything Nintendo does is perfect while according to the recent E3 thread, neither Sony or Microsoft can do anything right. There's nothing wrong with having such a strong brand preference nor posting what games you're playing on such a brand but that's not what you were doing and to make a plea of innocence given you'd be the most intolerant person here if someone was doing that to you is a bit ridiculous.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Jul 2017, 09:31

"as is believing everything Nintendo does is perfect"

Be good to get some examples of where I have been unreasonable on this point, as I really don't think they are perfect in many aspects.

I said this about their E3...

"Nintendo I think had a good E3 showing."

"Mario Oddesy is looking really special. I was a little bit skeptical, but seems to be getting very positive reviews.

Kirby and Yoshi look pretty standard, but sure they will be fun - discount purchases for me.

Xenoblade I'm not sure on, really enjoyed the first, didn't play X, but if it gets good reviews I'll pick it up."

Not exactly eulogising the company and I think most gamers would admit they had a good showing of games.

"according to the recent E3 thread, neither Sony or Microsoft can do anything right."

"From the E3 thread I said "New Bioware game looks amazing, though the scripted gameplay trailers don't give much away.

Think the best thing I've seen so far was The Last Night and Sea Of Theives is looking good."

The bottom two games are both Microsoft published as far as I'm aware.

j
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 07 Jul 2017, 22:32

An awful lot of solitaire, we've been a little slow at work, I was in the office all alone for a week last month, and the Windows 10 solitaire has Xbox achievements so if been working on them. I've always quite liked solitaire and now I've worked out what freecell is all about that's quite a good time killer to.

Return to “Gaming”