What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Apr 2016, 16:24

Replicant wrote:Source of the post I cannot get into gaming at all and haven't played anything seriously for over a year. Am I getting old?! :shock:
I just cannot seem to see anything worthwhile playing at the moment.

Does anyone still play TF2 (or do they find it ruined by all the hats malarkey) or L4D 1 or 2? Or similar?
I miss my old clan days of MOHAA and playing for hours on end on the same few maps.

I do often have the same thoughts when there's no game I can seem to get into at times then I do end up completely hooked on something and wishing I wasn't. I spent an insane amount of time on Stardew Valley the other week and I'm glad to have escaped that for a bit.

I've been trying to play Destiny again after their 'big' update after a big content drought but frustratingly there's very little new content and us of the official TP Xbox One gaming crew have not found another good co-op game frustratingly. I haven't played TF2 or L4D2 in a long time, I did quite fancy that co-op game mode man vs machine or whatever it was called though on TF2.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 May 2016, 18:30

Sunset Overdrive has just been free on Xbox Gold and looked not bad so I've been trying to get into that over the weekend, it's sort of a mix between Jet Set Radio (lots of grinding along rails and chaining them together), Infamous (lots of mid air antics and climbing stuff) and Scott Pilgrim vs the World (lots of tongue in cheek references to itself, other games, films etc.) The plot is that an energy drink has gone wrong and converted its users into mindless monsters and you need to sort them out with a variety of different entirely unique weapons. The humour tends to fall flat and the controls just don't feel anywhere near as tight as they could be, with Infamous they really nailed this aspect and it feels great as you tear across the city with ease but Sunset Overdrive feels clumsy in comparison and quickly gets irritating. The game also keeps trying to through far too much at you, you have upgrades for weapons, you can create upgrades for weapons, buy more weapons, overdrives for your character, use medals to buy upgrades for your character then there's a tower defence side of the game, a flying mini game etc.

Having an open world and a variety of challenges to play and skills to upgrade to should be extremely attractive as it is in Infamous but I just wasn't clicking with the gameplay and had no inclination to do that.

I then moved onto Rise of Tomb Raider after enjoying the previous one and so far it seems much the same, it keeps the same solid gameplay as the first but also a bit too many quick time events and linear sections. The game really shines though in the sections where it opens up into an area and you can have a look around to gather supplies, kill animals, kill enemies etc. and work your way through some small puzzles, I'd prefer they'd focused on this type of gameplay as I thought they should have done with the first game. I kind of get they're trying to tell a story and many of the scenes and the main character models are visually impressive but on the whole I couldn't really care less about the story particularly as with the first game, Lara is still an elite assassin capable of easily demolishing the ranks of professional mercenaries despite having no background in combat at all. It feels really out of place when it then kicks back to her archaeological side although I guess I can't complain too much as the combat is a solid part of the game unlike Last of Us where it's a total pain in the neck.

John
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 19 May 2016, 14:34

I'm back into Fallout 4 at the minute, I've gone back to finish the game for the 3 factions I missed on my main play through and I'm glad I went the route I did the first time. The end goal of the other factions are all the same and all stupid, however getting there with the Brotherhood of Steel has given rise to a couple of the more interesting quests. I've also been trying out the DLC as I got the season pass for Christmas, so far it has been pretty terrible, the big expansion drops today though so hopefully that will be worth the wait.

It can't be too bad as a game though I've got 98 hours into it so far.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Sep 2016, 10:06

Just got (again!) Resident Evil 4, they re-released it on the PS4.

I worked out this is the 4th time I've bought it...

Gamecube, Wii, PC and PS4.

Anyway, not played it for a while, and it really is such a great game. The atmosphere is pretty unmatched even to this day. The mechanics are great, the shooting feels so satisfying.

Great game I recommend to anyone if you haven't (or have) played it before.

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 16 Sep 2016, 11:22

got a cheeky 5 mins on forza horizon demo this week, want to play it more but figure it will be a day one purchase at the end of the month.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2016, 03:08

I tried the demo as well but it was just annoying me, the 'festival' stuff seems more in your face than before and the game seems more arcadey again with a lot more dirt racing and driving in cars that would probably be stuck spinning their wheels at the start if you ever took them off road. My favourite element of Horizon was that it felt like you were driving these supercars out on the road as unlike most other similar games you could tweak the TC and other driver aids to give the car a more convincing feel but on playing this one it just felt so stupid that it didn't feel at all real.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Oct 2016, 01:05

I've been trying to play Dishonored again which I had tried before and got around two hours in before giving up as it just wasn't clicking with me. I've spent another two hours and it's still not clicking with me at all, the controls I think are a big part of the problem - to fire your left weapon you right click, to fire your right weapon, you left click then to block you press left control. A solution to that may be to use a controller as it doesn't seem to be a game that relies on high speed shooting and accuracy although I'm not finding the stealth or combat mechanics to work that well either.

I guess what I'm asking is for those who enjoyed this game, how long did it take to get into it?

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 07 Oct 2016, 11:15

Well, nothing as I hate my PS4.

I updated to the new software, something went wrong, and it suffered a "serious error".

Now all my saved game data for the past 2/3 years has been wiped.

I feel sick. So annoying! Never think to back up a console. I don't us the internet on it, so not a PS+ subscriber so don't have the cloud save.

Contacted support, will see what they say. What is weird is all my downloaded games are still on the hard drive, but not the saved game data.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Oct 2016, 15:00

I wouldn't think to back up my console either, the Xbox I think defaults to cloud saves and so does the PC mostly through Steam. I'd be furious for a system update to hose the saves as you'd think that's the one piece data you'd make sure was safe as the game downloads don't matter so much, they can be replaced. That would just put me off playing the console ever again as I'd feel sick about it as well.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Oct 2016, 00:38

Any luck with your PS4 Jim?

I picked up Split/Second cheap which is an old 360-era arcade racer similar to Burnout except instead of ramming opponents or shooting them instead you trigger part of the track to blow up, a helicopter to drop explosives on the cars ahead to blowing up entire bridges and similar to change the route. There's also time trial modes where you're own your own and everything is blowing up, a challenge mode where you have to avoid being blown up by a helicopter, another challenge mode where you've got to get past trucks dropping lots of explosives...in short there's a lot of blowing up and similar. Initially I was finding it entertaining particularly as I've not played a good arcade racer for a while but it quickly gets very repetitive, there's only a small number of tracks with a few variations to try and liven them up but you're quickly seeing the same destructive sequences over and over again.

I also fired up Castlevania Lords of Shadow which is very well rated but after multiple rage quits today I gave in, the game is punishingly unfair in that it puts you into situations where you get very little scope for error but need to do some trial and error to find out what to do but when you fail there's often cutscenes and pre-battles you need to go through every single time. What's worse is in some case I was doing the right thing all along but the dodgy mechanics weren't quite acting the way they were supposed to. Each time I failed a boss, I had to endure an usnskippable cut scene, a smaller battle, a skippable cutscene and then at times only to get wiped out straight away while learning the mechanics was enough for me to call it quits.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Oct 2016, 09:34

No luck yet, radio silence from Sony, I'll chase them today. Not hopeful to be honest. But might try and squeeze them for a year of PSN or something.

I only played the demo of Split/Second at the time. I enjoyed it, but can see how it would get a bit boring. Remember it being quite impressive at the time.

Lords Of Shadow I never played, even though I'm a huge Castlevania fan. Just not really the kind of game I wanted it to be or enjoy that much.

Did you ever play the side scrolling DS Lords Of Shadow? I enjoyed that.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Oct 2016, 12:43

Split/Second is definitely impressive the first few times as the amount of carnage as you get to know the tracks is crazy scaling up from explosions at the side of the track to huge planes crashing into the ground but it's just the same ones over and over again.

I think I've only ever played two Castlevania games now I think about it, the ridiculously tough game on the original Gameboy and the ridiculously tough N64 version...maybe I shouldn't be complaining about this one being unfair.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Oct 2016, 14:50

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Split/Second is definitely impressive the first few times as the amount of carnage as you get to know the tracks is crazy scaling up from explosions at the side of the track to huge planes crashing into the ground but it's just the same ones over and over again.

I think I've only ever played two Castlevania games now I think about it, the ridiculously tough game on the original Gameboy and the ridiculously tough N64 version...maybe I shouldn't be complaining about this one being unfair.

John

That N64 game was really bad, but I loved it anyway! Back when 3d games were still trying to work out how to be good. Enev though Mario 64 pretty much nailed it first try.

Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES is my personal favourtite if you are ever bored.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Oct 2016, 21:34

I decided to give Lords of Shadow another go when I wasn't tired and grumpy from a long bike ride and it's still bloody annoying with little to redeem so another one to chuck on the supposedly amazing but I thought it was crap pile.

John
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 14 Oct 2016, 09:42

Forza Horizon 3 and Battlefield 4 on Xbone

Need to try out forza on my Pc as it was free with the xbone version, Get out my logitech g27!

I
Yeah!

Return to “Gaming”