What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 02 May 2017, 11:52

Johnmcl7 wrote:I am disappointed we've not seen F-zero for a long time particularly as they could probably make one easily using MK8, its 200cc mode is fast and smooth and when you're playing on Big Blue it's not far from F-Zero.

My fingers are crossed! As they are for a load of other Nintendo IPs, particularly racing games as it happens. Excite Bike, Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding would all be very welcome returns to the Switch.

j
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 02 May 2017, 15:16

Caved and bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Looks and plays great on the Switch, forgot how good the game is, especially in 200cc mode.

The new Battle mode is amazing, and is what it should have been all along!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 May 2017, 22:50

I am annoyed they never added battle mode to the Wii U game as I really missed it and almost bought a Switch with MK8 but then saw sense and just been playing it on the Wii U instead. It is a very good game but I've played it so much already that it doesn't have much appeal any more.
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 03 May 2017, 10:20

I got Mario Kart for my birthday Sunday, still no Joy-Cons so not played it yet. 2-3 day turn around my arse it's been 2 weeks since they received it and its only just been dispatched back yesterday.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 May 2017, 21:47

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I am annoyed they never added battle mode to the Wii U game as I really missed it and almost bought a Switch with MK8 but then saw sense and just been playing it on the Wii U instead. It is a very good game but I've played it so much already that it doesn't have much appeal any more.

Yeah, o haven't played the Wii u version for a long time, so it was all nice and refreshing. Plus I have two friends already with a switch and mk8 deluxe and didn't know anyone with a Wii u, so that helped sell it to me.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 May 2017, 21:48

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post I got Mario Kart for my birthday Sunday, still no Joy-Cons so not played it yet. 2-3 day turn around my arse it's been 2 weeks since they received it and its only just been dispatched back yesterday.

Yours go back for the signal disconnect issue?

J
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 07 May 2017, 17:57

Yep, it was just unusable in TV Mode finally got them back on Wednesday. Been playing some Mario Kart which is Mario Kart so good. Downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo and spent the whole night playing it with the missus so have bought that from the US eShop for £22ish have played at least an hour of it every night since, some times much more than that.

Just started and finished CoD:Infinite Warfare, its no where near as bad as it has been made out to be, really enjoyed the space combat bits which made me nostalgic for the old Colony Wars games.

Also the Prey Demo which is very good, assuming you can get past the not great combat, will probably pick it up in a sale though as I've too much to play.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 08 May 2017, 12:49

I'll probably pick Puyo Tetris up at some point. Never been huge into either of the games to be honest, but having a digital copy on the Switch I'm sure I'd get a good amount of playtime. Also feel like I'm missing out, as people (such as yourself) seem to really enjoy it!

Picked up Master Blaster Zero on the Switch and been playing that, really enjoying it. Excellent music and mechanics. I can highly recommend it if you like that kind of thing.

j
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 15 May 2017, 10:30

I bought Minecraft on the Switch.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 May 2017, 00:58

After digging out my old DS lite for someone I've been getting quite hooked on Meteos, one of the early puzzle games for the system. It's a real shame Panel de Pon died with the Gamecube/DS, it's still easily my favourite puzzle game but despite Nintendo marketing under its own brand, Tetris, Mario and even Pokemon plus more neutral branding it's never had any success. I stumbled across it accidentally amongst SNES roms ages ok and quickly got hooked, the last iteration on the Cube was a mental four player which at one point ended up in a seven hour marathon series of games with my younger brothers.

Division was on a free weekend so gave it a blast and while I liked some of the elements the gameplay was horrible, it just didn't seem to fit with the setting. Destiny does many things wrong but it nails the basic gameplay and the scifi setting means you can have shields, exotic weapons etc. which the Division can't. It feels weird fighting street thugs who have no armour or any of protection to bullets but could shrug off sustained bullet fire with ease, I just couldn't play it much longer.

I've gone back to Wildlands which has a very similar setting but works far better as there's no bullet sponge enemies, even tougher ones will still go down in a single headshot which feels right.

There's a new Heavy Cargo DLC out for European Truck Simulator 2 which adds new bigger 8x4 trucks (eight wheels, four driven) and new bigger loads complete with steering trailers. I'm quite impressed with it for four pounds as the new trailers behave quite differently to conventional trailers allowing the trucks to easily navigate corners, moreso than conventional trucks.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 16 May 2017, 16:44

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post After digging out my old DS lite for someone I've been getting quite hooked on Meteos, one of the early puzzle games for the system. It's a real shame Panel de Pon died with the Gamecube/DS, it's still easily my favourite puzzle game but despite Nintendo marketing under its own brand, Tetris, Mario and even Pokemon plus more neutral branding it's never had any success. I stumbled across it accidentally amongst SNES roms ages ok and quickly got hooked, the last iteration on the Cube was a mental four player which at one point ended up in a seven hour marathon series of games with my younger brothers.

I used to love Meteos! Totally forgot about that one.

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 16 May 2017, 18:10

just started on sniper elite 4. First level took me 2 hours on normal :? :shock:
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 16 May 2017, 18:39

Trying to play Civ 6 and failing miserably, something has changed that makes the way I play completely unviable but I have no idea what it is, I might need to bin it off until the expansion packs come out as its just frustrating me at the minute.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 May 2017, 01:37

I picked up a retro Metroid style game called Axiom Verge which was reduced on the Xbox and feels like an original NES game as the look, feel and music are all spot on. Unlike retro style games which use that to hide a pretty average game, it does the usual lock off parts of the map until you unlock certain abilities but the abilities themselves are creative and there's a good range of primary weapons. You can use whatever weapon you want rather than each one having a specific purpose which makes a nice change although some weapons work better than others. On the not so good side the story is just straight up bizarre and while it doesn't need a decent story I'd have liked something a little more straightforward. The game is fairly straightforward including the bosses which is good as some retro games seem to think they should be super tough although near the end the last couple of bosses feel like the game fell apart because they're both badly designed and very frustrating. It's a shame to finish like that as normally with this sort of game I'd comb through it and find what I missed but I was that annoyed with it I never did.

Instead I fired up the sort of similar Ori and the Blind Forest (except it's a platformer instead) and it's easily one of my favourite games of this generation and even though I've played it through several times, I still love the beautiful graphics and soundtrack.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 24 May 2017, 10:36

Playing Thumper on the Switch.

Only played for an hour or so, but I really like it. Very dark and intense/ tense, but controls amazingly, very precise and I love the "soundtrack" so far.

j

Return to “Gaming”