What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Apr 2017, 13:58

dick move in any cutlure. I just hammered attrition 24/7 for the double xp. enjoyed it and was holding my own but not enough to justify buying the game.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Apr 2017, 12:54

I only played a couple of games and couldn't be bothered with it so perhaps not a fair time to give the game.

I've been getting in Ghost Recon Wildlands which is sort of the better open world aspect of Far Cry 3 mixed with a realistic tactical shooter. The open world just feels absolutely enormous and there seems to be lots of stuff to do although it's fairly repetitive. It's been pretty tough to go to this after Gears of War but seems a pretty fun game in co-op so far.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 09 Apr 2017, 23:47

any more concrete info on the Scorpio after the release?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Apr 2017, 01:44

No, not really as the Digital Foundry 'reveal' was generally very vague and no real information. The two big questions are whether it uses an upgraded higher clocked version of the existing Jaguar cores for the CPU or the brand new Zen cores plus whether the GPU uses existing Polaris cores or the upcoming Vegas cores. The figures don't seem to match anything although the fact that it's using a smaller manufacturing process than the existing parts which would mean if they are using existing tech, then it could be varied from the current implementation. It seems likely though it's using beefed up Jaguar cores and a slightly more powerful Polaris implementation (the current most powerful PC version is the RX480), it looks a good bit more powerful than the PS4 Pro and hopefully better thought out.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 10 Apr 2017, 11:53

I asked my buddy for more info, but he's on holiday so banned from talk until he's back. Will be interesting to get his view on what it means for developers.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Apr 2017, 12:36

Not sure I understand who the Scorpio is for to be honest.

Microsoft are behind and need to sell consoles, but making something for the "hardcore" gamers won't really push numbers as they'll either get one or just stick with the PC (where a lot of the Xbox games live anyway). So it just comes down to a "my console is more powerful than yours" bragging rights with Sony.

Kind of frustrating they only showed a demo of Forza Motorsport 6 to show off the console. Be nice to see them do something other than just ramp up the frame rate, detail and resolution with the extra power.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Apr 2017, 19:21

In gaming at the moment, big numbers are more important than anything else and now Sony and Microsoft are shooting to be 'the' 4k console. One of the main reasons the Xbox One lost out against the PS4 was for its reduced graphics card capabilities as pretty much every discussion I read on general forums about the two consoles was to go for the PS4 for its much better graphics capabilities (not the case at all but that's the perception).

I don't think Scorpio is aimed so much at the hardcore games but that same mainstream audience that want the console with the biggest numbers and with 4k becoming prevalent in TV's, streaming services, people are going to want a 4k device for gaming so with Sony making a mess of the PS4 pro, Microsoft clearly see the Scorpio as their chance to take market share back. Unfortunately almost none of the Xbox games live on the PC, there's just eight Play Anywhere titles and even within them cross play is either non-existent (Halo Wars 2) or severely limited, in Gears 4 PC and XBox players can play together in PvE but only in limited playlists for PvP leaving PvP (the main Gears mode) basically completely dead on PC. There's barely anything of interest coming out for Play Anywhere and I can't see developers bothering with it when the return seems poor which is a real shame as it's been great playing Gears 4 on the PC with people on the Xbox entirely seamlessly.

With that in mind I had been thinking I'd go for the new console as the gap between PC and the current generation consoles feels a lot bigger than it used to be and it's been harder jumping between the PC and consoles. However when I give it more thought, the reason I rarely play the Xbox One or PS4 isn't their lack of performance it's the lack of games, I can't think of any console generation I've had less interest in the consoles and certainly not one I've played the consoles so rarely.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 12 Apr 2017, 09:38

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postso with Sony making a mess of the PS4 pro,

You've said this before (and apologies if I've missed your answer). Why have they made a mess of it? I don't know much about it, assume it has moar power and was to make 4k more possible (despite the PS4 being 4k capable) but that's all I know.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Apr 2017, 20:32

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postso with Sony making a mess of the PS4 pro,

You've said this before (and apologies if I've missed your answer). Why have they made a mess of it? I don't know much about it, assume it has moar power and was to make 4k more possible (despite the PS4 being 4k capable) but that's all I know.

Sony took a fairly half assed approach to the PS4 both in hardware and software, they wanted to offer a '4k capable' console but without increasing the cost too much. They increased the performance of the processor and graphics card but they made the strange decision not to upgrade the memory despite the fact that working at high resolution needs more display memory - they added 1GB of 'slow' memory to free up half a gb of the main memory but it's not much. The console also had trouble on the software side, initially the console needed developers to specifically optimise their games to run better on the Pro and there were problems with games actually running worse on the PS4 Pro than the PS4 although I think they're getting a handle on this and now offering a general performance boost mode. The console also doesn't support 4K blu-ray (nor do any of the Sony consoles) while the lower powered Xbox One S does although I don't know how much of a difference that makes overall. Sony have been quiet on the sales figures but so far the PS4 Pro sales seem to have been lukewarm.

Microsoft have obviously waited longer and gone for higher performance, their new console has a more powerful processor and GPU than the PS4 Pro but also gets a 50% boost in ram up to 12GB overall. There is a big question of cost, they are respinning both the CPU and GPU down to a smaller process which should make it cheaper but even then I can't see the hardware being that cheap bearing in mind an RX480 (which is closest to the Scorpio GPU) is around £200 on its own. There's been some implications that the Scorpio is just kind of a show off model for those that want to splash out and the £200 Xbox One S will remain the main platform so we'll need to see, the fact they haven't yet mentioned a price suggests it's still getting a lot of thought.

On the other hand, while Microsoft seemed to be doing better initially for exclusives they seem to have almost dried up entirely in that regard while Sony have had some more interesting exclusives recently.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 13 Apr 2017, 09:03

Ewwww. Sounds as if the Pro isn't worth the money then, not at the moment, at least? I'm curious because I am looking at a new gen console - I still don't have one. That being said, I was waiting until I finished all the exclusives on the PS3 / 360 and I haven't done that either. So probably a waste of money as it won't get the use anyway. Although I am invested in the Microsoft ecosphere, PSVR interested me and I assumed the Pro would be better for that... but I also have a PC that is capable and that's probably a smarter move.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Apr 2017, 09:08

Well, 100+ hours into Zelda, and I feel kind of done with it for the moment. Still got little bits to do, and sure there are many areas I haven't explored yet, but I'll wait for DLC as don't want to burn out on it.

Overall, an incredible game.

Playing Shovel Knight, done the main campaign, now just doing the Plague Knight DLC. A bit late to the party on this, but having it portable on the Switch sealed the deal. Again, really amazing game, and surprised the "d pad" works so well on the JoyCons.

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Apr 2017, 10:11

Rick & Morty - pocket mortys.

Just beaten the top evil rick! So not really sure what i can do now! Shame as i've really loved it!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Apr 2017, 00:48

I've been meaning to give the pocket morty game a go although the free to play aspect is a little offputting but it seems very cleverly done. Rick and Morty VR has just come out and it sounded good using job simulator as a basis (a silly game in its own right) but it seems really thin on content despite the relatively high price so probably one to wait for the sales.

I've been playing a fair bit of Wildlands although it's one of those games that's a lot of fun in co-op but fairly rubbish single player.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Apr 2017, 20:56

It's 100 % free! Haven't spent a penny on it and beat it. It's basically pokemon!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Apr 2017, 02:55

Is there not still in game payments? I know they're optional but I find that sort of gameplay element offputting.

I've been playing on the Wii U for a change first with MK8 although as usual got annoyed with its near useless online modes and now switched to Fast Racing Neo which is sort of a cross between F-Zero and wipeout. Curiously the game doesn't explain anything bar telling you the controls and it was only from watching reviews I understood its mechanics, your ship can be blue or orange and a bit like Ikaruga you can flick colours back and forth as you go along. You have to match your ship to the boost strips on the ground otherwise you'll get slowed down instead of boosted so you've got to learn the track to be in the right colour before you even see the strip or to know what sequence of colour shifts you need to do as sometimes you'll need to change back and forth.

The difficulty is challenging as you've got to finish in the top three to unlock the next set of tracks, I'm on the easiest difficulty level and getting good finishes needs careful boosting and very few mistakes. It's hard to tell as I've not been playing it long but it feels like there's not much rubber banding, do badly and you get a crap finish near the back but hook it all together and you can get a clean win. It's oddly refreshing as just about every racer now including proper sims seems to have really bad rubber banding which in this day and age of lots of processing power is disgraceful.

I am disappointed we've not seen F-zero for a long time particularly as they could probably make one easily using MK8, its 200cc mode is fast and smooth and when you're playing on Big Blue it's not far from F-Zero.

John

Return to “Gaming”