What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Oct 2016, 09:19

gears of war 4 horde mode. Not bothered with the campaign yet. Have completed one level 50 casual run through, but normal tends to get to 20 or 30 and then end due to drop outs. Not convinced having bonus cards to "complete levels 1-20 on casual/hardcore" etc are a great idea. That and you need 3+ hours to grind them out.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2016, 20:14

Are you playing with randoms or friends? Gears of War 3 is one of my favourite games for its horde mode which I played for a ridiculous amount of time but I'm concerned the new one isn't going to be much good with randoms.

I bought an Early Access VR game on Steam called Raw Data which even reduced was still £20 which I was regretting a bit as the game only has four levels at the moment and it's quite unstable however it's one of the coolest uses of VR I've seen far. It's a first person shooter with currently two heroes, a pistol toting gun-fu guy and a sword person - so far I've mainly been using the gun guy as he's a lot of fun. The gun sits in your holster at the start and put the Vive controller to your hip and squeeze the controller to pick up the gun and then you've got the clip on your left, to reload you take the controller down, squeeze to pick up the clip then take it up and pop it into the gun. It's surprisingly realistic and there were a few moments I was hiding behind a virtual barrier mucking up my reloads by doing it frantically and panicking as the robot army approached. I then unlocked proximity reloads where simply swiping the gun past the clip reloads it and last night I unlocked dual pistols which are just so much fun in VR. Of course I've been replaying the silly film tropes bringing the pistols together to hose enemies down, firing in opposite directions etc.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Oct 2016, 09:29

mostly my mates from work John. Insane is insane. got to level 10, got bummed hard.
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 24 Oct 2016, 17:15

Had a good go on Fifa 17 through the EA Access 10 hour trial, I'm not a fan of football generally or Fifa games but quite enjoyed the chunk on the new story mode they let you play on the trial. Going to give some of the other modes a try see if I can get into it.

I've also been playing a bit of Battlefield 1 on the same EA Access trial, single player seems pretty good, you get to shot the men from the past with the old guns the opening is intense and almost harrowing then it descends into standard FPS mode. Will play the 10 hours and see how it goes.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Oct 2016, 12:37

I picked up up GoW4 through an Nvidia code on ebay which seems to work fine, you register it on the Nvidia site and then you're just asked to sign into an MS account and it activates the game on your MS account both PC and Xbox. The PC side of it seems to work extremely well so far as the game automatically detected my hardware and put most settings to max plus it also told me what impact to CPU, GPU and GPU VRAM each setting would have. It looks stunning on the GTX 1070 running at 1440p and 60fps with highly detailed textures although it does make it a bit jarring when changing to the Xbox which is a big step down.

I played the story mode briefly, got bored and hopped into Horde mode which I'm pleased to see feels very similar to the GoW3 horde mode in the way it plays. I was concerned about bad teammates but so far each game I've played the worst I've seen is just teammates not sure what they're doing which is fair enough as it's taking me a bit of time to learn it as well. The classes don't make as big a difference as I expected so far although I think as you unlock more skills they'll become more different, so far it's just annoying that only the soldier starts with a lancer. What does make the game very different is that you can build your base as you want so while it's all the same defences (turrets, sentry, caltrops etc. although no silverback), base building is quite different - I had an excellent engineer on my team last night and she built a ridiculous base, by the end of the game there were five manned turrets, all laser defences, shock defences etc. Then on the next game the engineer didn't seem to be doing anything at all so i started trying to build some stuff although I was limited as I wasn't an engineer. That is one annoyance that you can see what classes are at the start and choose your class but you've no idea whether those people are any good at their class, I chose a soldier but the rest of the people were aggressive so I wasn't getting many kills and would have been better as an engineer but no can do.

The other big change which applies to the whole game is the card system which is similar to many others, you earn credits during gameplay and you can use those to buy boxes which give you random cards - the boxes are different types so you can get some for customisation, some for Horde mode skills, some for versus skills and a few others. The Horde cards give you skills for your class or bounties, you can use duplicate cards to upgrade that skill as well as break down duplicate cards for scrap to buy cards outright. This feel a little out of place on a full price game although for Horde mode it's fine as there's four difficulty levels so you can build up your skills on the lower modes ready to give the higher ones a go, I've had no trouble on the casual setting with no new skills. Although you can buy the boxes you seem to unlock them at a reasonable speed and I guess it gives people incentive to play.

My main annoyance with Horde mode at the moment is actually the same as GoW3, there's no quicker mode - you have to go in for 50 waves and if people leave, there's no jump in replacement so there's been a few times when I want to sit down for a few round but don't want to quit early on people so can't play. It really needs a faster 15 wave mode or similar with sped up boss waves and multipliers so you can hop into a game for a bit without committing to a long period of time.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 25 Oct 2016, 13:25

casual is a cake walk once you get some damage modifiers. I went full rambo until level 46, then jumped on a turret. we needed a sniper in insane, once the boomers come running in it's game over.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Oct 2016, 14:53

I've got my engineer, scout and soldier all up to level 3 with some decent skills - the soldier in particular has a 60% active reload bonus and 30% lancer damage so even on double health he just mows down the enemies with ease on casual.

However...I still like casual with randoms as it means if you get useless players or people quitting it's viable to do it with less of you. Although even then it can be surprisingly tough, I did a 50 wave one with a decent group of randoms and it was an absolute breeze with enemies being efficiently killed and the engineer was superb. She progressively built up the defences and kept them protected so as we went into the 40's, there were five turrets, a variety of sentries, shock defences, decoys and all laser defences. Boss waves were hilariously short as the five turrets tore them to shreds in moments.

On the other hand though I was with a group that wasn't so good last night, I was a soldier and with my bonuses wasn't having much trouble mopping up most of the wave each time. Until we hit round 20 and for some bizarre reason, two of the players decided to move the fabricator which was odd because the fortifications progressively built up around that area (and hadn't been trashed) plus it was in a good spot. I couldn't work out what they wanted to do with it though, they ended up still moving it as the enemies spawned and after doing a lap of the level came back to where it had started and stood there with it until they were quickly mown down by enemies, the other two had split up and also been killed leaving me as last man standing unexpectedly. I didn't feel bad quitting from that one.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Oct 2016, 02:51

I decided to get another Xbox One controller for my PC as I have to re-pair it each time I use it with the Xbox. The Xbox One controller needs a wireless adapter to work with the PC for £18 although the newer Xbox One S has bluetooth onboard so I figured that was a better bet even though I'm not sure if BT is functional on the PC. I found someone selling the GoW 4 pad so perfect, offered to buy it after some thinking only to find it's sold and the person hadn't updated their listing.

I noticed in Tescos they had the new special edition blue Xbox One S for the same price as a white one so thought I'd go for that but when I went back to get it today they brought out the older blue dusk one and claimed they didn't have the other one. I cycled out to the big Tescos but they had the blue one at a higher price so decided to stuff it.

Then my Xbox One controller stopped working with the PC, it recognised it was connected to the PC but that was it and wouldn't function with it in anyway. I spent a while trying to get it working but couldn't find any information that would sort it. After digging through a Reddit thread I finally found the rather odd solution, I had to take the controller out, re-pair it back to the console, upgrade the firmware then return it to the PC which seemed to work fine. It seems a windows update breaks it but there's no prompting from Windows 10 to let you know it's broken and what to do, I found out afterwards that it seems there is an app you can download on the PC that's meant to handle firmware upgrades although some people found that caused more issues. It's disappointing when the PC/Xbox stuff has worked well so far.

After all that though got a good game of horde mode, two people quit leaving a scout, engineer and myself as a sniper but even without communication it was working really well. The Scout covered me at close range, the engineer built up an awesome base and I was able to cover the heavy stuff at long range. In addition to headset damage my scout has unlocked the second skill card so I tried the exploding head one which is their legendary and I've been lucky enough to get two cards for and it works really well, hitting normal enemies seems a bit of a waste of a sniper shot but the explosion is pretty big and can wipe out other enemies nearby and weaken the big ones. It's just a shame the sniper really needs a full team to help cover it, with a smaller team or poorer players it's not much use as you need to be able to sit back and line up your shots, not get hassled constantly by smaller enemies close by which knock off your aim.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 01 Nov 2016, 10:50

i'll see if I can get raptor / flibles and my bro on before I go go John and we can smash out some normal hording!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Nov 2016, 01:39

I've had to be well behaved this evening and not play horde mode after work as I'm finding I don't sleep well afterwards, unsurprisingly it's not a good way to wind down. I went the sniper last night on the long map that is like a section of town, it was in Gears of War 3 and curves at each end - perfect for the sniper and racked up twice as many points as the next person on the team just slicing through enemies with the longshot. Also managed to get a couple of useful skills so my solder has improved their damage bonus and the scout the health bonus, I'm off shift after Wednesday so will definitely be up for Horde then.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 28 Nov 2016, 13:17

Oh dear, I've started playing Minecraft of all things. Addiction overload.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Nov 2016, 23:56

Is that the first time Jim?
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 29 Nov 2016, 15:49

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Is that the first time Jim?

I played it pretty much when it first came out. Maybe for 10-20 hours or so. Never really got into it.

Four of us played it this weekend on the PS4 as I was seeing some uni friends. It's got me hooked. Turns out I had bought the android version at some point in my life, so now I'm addicted. Something to do with the 2 hours a day I spend on the bus!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Jan 2017, 04:08

I did get into Minecraft for a bit although I don't think I'm creative enough for it, I preferred Terraria which had similar ideas but mixed with an rpg-like progression so you're mining to get better materials which you can then use to get better weapons and armour to then be able to get further into the world. I haven't played Minecraft in a long time although never found a good server to play on as I think that makes it a lot better.

I've still been playing Gears of War 4 off and on, Matt's been back on recently and found another random guy who's good to play with - the game really shines with a good team although it can be frustrating with a poor one. It's a frustrating game as so much of it is done so well but there's a lot of small things that are needed to significantly improve the game however the focus from the developer seems to be the loot boxes which I have nothing against but they shouldn't be the priority.

Over Christmas I was playing a superb game called Drawful 2 I'd highly recommend as game to play with friends and family, the game itself runs on a console or PC and then each player users their own phone, tablet or PC to connect to the game - the console/PC will show a url and a room code which each each person simply needs to enter to join. The game starts by giving people something to draw on their device (often quite silly or something nonsense), once each person has drawn what they've been told the TV then shows each drawing in turn and players have to type what they think it is into their phone and then people have to choose between the suggestions and actual answer. The artist gets points if people choose the right answer while other players get points if someone chooses their wrong answer. The beauty of the game is that you don't have to draw well in the game, what makes the game particularly entertaining is seeing someone's efforts especially as there's no eraser and only two colours so drawings can be very messy. Allowing each person to choose the device they want is also great, my Mum liked using her large touchscreen laptop, my sister her ipad etc.

Also for a bit of multiplayer fun I picked up Overcooked although it's not quite as casual a game, it's a simple cooking game with up to four players on a single screen have to work together to produce meals in a restaurant. The controls are simple as your chef can simply either pick up or action something and the process is all broken down into little tasks so to make onion soup you need to take three onions out of the box, chop each onion, put all three in a pot, boil the pot, empty it in a bowl, serve the bowl then when the dirty bowl comes back, wash it and repeat. The game scales up the difficulty by adding more complex dishes but it also cleverly mixed it up with different, changing layouts - some levels are on a ship and everything slides around so you have to quickly change round the roles, some are on ice, some are on trucks on a road etc. Quite a few often when starting levels it's frustrating as it goes horribly wrong but it's always satisfying trying out a few different strategies as it always comes off well once you get a smooth process.

VR Diner Duo is sort of a cross between Overcooked and Job simulator - it offers a local co-op option where the chef uses the VR headset and motion controllers to prepare a variety of different burgers while the other player uses a control pad and the monitor on the same PC to be the waiter/waitress, they have to take orders for the chef, serve drinks and cakes to the people. The game has a lot of flaws in that there's only one cafe layout and the difficulty doesn't scale well as it simply throws more and more people into the cafe with a difficult mix of burgers, there's no way for orders to be managed nor the chef to prepare meals in advance as cooked items go off quickly. That said the game is still a lot of fun as both players can see each other working away with the VR person being quite detailed since it shows the head and hand movements, allowing my brother to mock me for little mistakes when I was frantically trying to put burgers together. It's a great concept as well mixing VR and normal gameplay and I hope to see more like it.

I'm not sure I want to admit these two but have to admit I've put a scary amount of time into them recently. The first is American Truck simulator which is a new American version of Euro Truck Simulator 2 as the name suggests taking part in America and much the same game just with American trucks and locations. It feels more like DLC rather than a separate game entirely as it's quite basic in comparison to Euro Truck Simulator - there's only four truck cabs in total from two manufacturers, the customisation options are more basic and there's not much variety in the driving. That said I've clocked in 60+ hours and there's something oddly appealing with the big long nose cabs and growling engines, I can't complain about the amount of time I've had for the money.

I've gone back to Euro Truck Simulator 2 which I think has changed a lot since I first bought it, I've bought a couple of the DLC's which I'm not sure exactly what they do but the game is a good size with a lot of variety now. There's nine manufacturers with a lot of options for each truck, there's a lot of variety in the countries and there's stuff like ferries and the eurotunnel. I've no idea what is so appealing about the games and in a sense they're not really games I guess, just something relaxing to have on while watching something else.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Apr 2017, 02:55

Titanfall 2 is on a free weekend (all platforms) so thought that was a good chance to try it out as I've heard a lot of good things about it. After a few games though I was glad for the trial as that's 20 quid saved as I didn't want to play it any longer. Starting a multiplayer game is always tricky as you're against people who know the maps, weapons, gameplay etc. much better than you and as is the trend these days, TF2 also rewards players with better weapons and items so it's hard to know when you're dying repeatedly if you just completely suck at the game or it's a mix of that and the other person having better weapons. On one game I spotted a guy sniping titans so I sneaked up on him and hosed him down with machine gun fire however he looked round at me, changed weapons, shot the ground around me once with a some glowing explosive projectiles and killed me. The next game I saw a guy and shot him first repeatedly but he just nailed me with an explosive one shot gun every time, he was the highest level player in the game and easily had the highest score.

There's a single campaign mission which I don't know if it's representative of the main game but it was not very impressive as it was mostly compromised of irritating platforming and lots of wall running. Also building up to a battle with an enemy titan then just as it starts cutting out to offer the chance to buy the game or back to the main menu would be considered a dick move in bird culture.

John

Return to “Gaming”