What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 May 2017, 22:15

I tried Thumper when it came out as it was hugely well rated as a game itself and in particular for VR but it's the first and only game I've refunded on Steam. In VR there was no feeling of immersion or speed and I preferred it in 2D but even then I just couldn't get into the game, I normally really like music games (Rez is easily one of my all time favourites) but the gameplay and music never really feel like they come together with the music being quite distant and the gameplay actions end up just being a bit random. I realise I'm about the only person who seemed to dislike it but decided it's just not a game I'm ever going to understand.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 25 May 2017, 09:02

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post but the gameplay and music never really feel like they come together with the music being quite distant and the gameplay actions end up just being a bit random.

Haha! I feel the total opposite on all points! You playing with headphones?

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 May 2017, 10:32

Yes, you have to play with headphones in VR. The music feels more like a faint background effect and doesn't really link with the actions you're doing, something like Rez doesn't really directly link them (the music plays itself and isn't dependent on your gameplay to progress) but the way it builds up gradually throughout the level and hits its full stride at the boss makes Thumper feel so weak in comparison. I played up to the two hours (both VR and on the monitor) but wasn't finding any of it remotely enjoyable and clearly that wasn't going to change.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 May 2017, 12:18

Yeah, that's strange. I love rhythm games, and Thumper is definitely up there for me, as I do feel really connected to the music through the actions I'm taking.

Though obviously not a patch on Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan :D

j
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 31 May 2017, 14:43

Playing a decent amount of Street Fighter 2 on the Switch. Ken is my boy, and doing quite well, about 50% win percentage in ranked matches. Though getting some rough lag in some matches which obviously kills the game a bit.

Forgot how much I love the game. Reminds me of Bloodborne/ Dark Souls in a way, in that you have to read your opponent and react accordingly, and rushing in will lead to punishment very quickly and you can lose a round in less than ten seconds if you make a silly mistake.

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 31 May 2017, 15:51

Finally cracked out Fallout 4 on the laptop. I managed about 20 mins before i had to turn it off cos the wife was home..
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 Jun 2017, 13:30

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Playing a decent amount of Street Fighter 2 on the Switch. Ken is my boy, and doing quite well, about 50% win percentage in ranked matches. Though getting some rough lag in some matches which obviously kills the game a bit.

Forgot how much I love the game. Reminds me of Bloodborne/ Dark Souls in a way, in that you have to read your opponent and react accordingly, and rushing in will lead to punishment very quickly and you can lose a round in less than ten seconds if you make a silly mistake.

j

Saw a fella on the train this morning playing on the Switch - might have been Street Fighter he was playing. Pretty tidy size and look to the tablet. Made me a bit tempted.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Jun 2017, 20:33

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Playing a decent amount of Street Fighter 2 on the Switch. Ken is my boy, and doing quite well, about 50% win percentage in ranked matches. Though getting some rough lag in some matches which obviously kills the game a bit.

j

Saw a fella on the train this morning playing on the Switch - might have been Street Fighter he was playing. Pretty tidy size and look to the tablet. Made me a bit tempted.

You'll get one one day Tappy...

I do feel it has the potential to be a Wii sized hit. Bit of a price drop, some more quality games and it's a no brainer if you're a reasonably interested gamer.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Jun 2017, 22:25

Gears of War 4 finally gets its big Horde update:

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/ ... -the-horde

Unfortunately it seems pretty rubbish and I'm really disappointed they've done almost nothing to fix well known problems that have been there from the start. Each class gets three new skills and existing skills can be levelled one higher to level six however there's still a maximum of five skills that can be used and it takes a somewhat ridiculous 20 cards to upgrade to level 6. That's if you can even get the skills which are still not craftable until you receive the first card for them which so far people are reporting have a very, very low drop rate from the Horde booster packs.

The turrets get several more nerfs (the sentries have already had a nerf a couple of months ago and the turrets had more nerfs before that) which I don't mind as the game forces you to rely almost completely on turrets/sentries but they've not buffed any of the classes to make up for it. In fact the soldier gets a slight nerf with an increase in cost to their hammer of dawn which is the only useful skill they have. The new difficulty level goes for the same lazy approach as before and simply reduces player health and increases enemy damage which made Hard/Insane more annoying than anything else, even as a scout with every health buff going the weakest enemy can one shot you meaning you have to hide around the base and nip out for power rather than going into close range combat as the class was designed for.

There's nothing announced about any change to the make up of the waves to give a bit more variety, no map voting, no quit penalties and no quicker 20 wave mode or similar.

It's a real shame as I've been looking forward to this update for a long time and was hoping to get back into the game but it doesn't seem at all worth it.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jun 2017, 01:03

I've heard so many glowing recommendations for Undertale I gave it a go but I'm not getting it at all, it's sort of a silly 8-bit RPG but I'm not getting into it at all. I'm perhaps just taking it too seriously but I'm just finding it boring and after a few hours playing and only playing it because people said it was good so gave up on it.

After seeing the Ori 2 trailer I fancied playing the original again and managed to get the speed running achievement although I'm not even going to bother trying the remaining single life achievement.

I picked up Forza Horizon 3 which is very similar to the previous games in that it's fantastic to have sim like cars in a wide open world but marred by terrible design with poor tracks and insanely annoying assistants. Many games now take advantage of increased performance to be open world but FH3 like many others doesn't seem to understand how to use that, rather than letting you go into the world and do what you want the game constantly nags you to do what it wants. For example the rubbish barn find feature is still present where you're given an area to drive around in, find a barn and find some ridiculous classic car. I don't care for the gameplay in finding it nor the car you get for it so I normally ignore them but FH3 is having none of it, if you don't go to it when it first tells you of it the game will put increasing pressure on you until you give in and go to it...you'll get both your assistants questioning why you haven't gone yet, there will be constant pop-ups on screen prompting you to set your route to there, your sat nav will keep asking if you want to set a route there and even the radio presenters start going on about it as well asking why you haven't gone.

Still though it's just fun to drive around the open road in high performance cars.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 30 Jun 2017, 14:46

Sounds like the Forza Horizon developers need to play some Breath Of The Wild...

I would like to play Undertale after hearing so much about it, less so after your write up, but yeah, if it ever came to the Switch I'd take a punt.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jun 2017, 16:48

It's what they've always done and they always praised for, loud obnoxious characters and grating music are what's in these days as you can see from a lot of the big YT channels. There's been open world games with proper choice long before Breath of the Wild was even thought of but some game designers seem to think they know best.

I don't know if Undertale gets better or it's just not my thing but these days there's so much out there I don't see much point in sticking with stuff I'm not enjoying. Its hardware requirements are very basic so it will run on anything, no need to wait for a Switch port.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 30 Jun 2017, 17:06

Johnmcl7 wrote:There's been open world games with proper choice long before Breath of the Wild was even thought of but some game designers seem to think they know best.

I more mean in how BOTW teases and hints at interesting things and secrets to be found through clever and interesting world design. I can't really think of a game that has done this so well before. Not really the fact it's open world and you can go and do what you want, as like you say, that's been done before many times.

j
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 30 Jun 2017, 17:08

Johnmcl7 wrote:no need to wait for a Switch port.

Yeah, I'd just rather play it on that as playing on my laptop doesn't really appeal and I don't get much time for gaming at home these days.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jun 2017, 23:10

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:There's been open world games with proper choice long before Breath of the Wild was even thought of but some game designers seem to think they know best.

I more mean in how BOTW teases and hints at interesting things and secrets to be found through clever and interesting world design. I can't really think of a game that has done this so well before. Not really the fact it's open world and you can go and do what you want, as like you say, that's been done before many times.

j

That's pretty much how I'd describe most decent open world games....it's about the most tenuous link possible to the Switch or Zelda.

John

Return to “Gaming”