Spore

Discuss PC and console gaming
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: Spore

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Sep 2008, 13:55

not sure the ship design has much effect tbh! There dont seem to be any attributes?! i've got 12 weapons attached to a flying saucer at the moment!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 07 Sep 2008, 15:29

I think I wanted it to be closer to Civ than My Sims but I guess it wasnt to be.

I guess if I'd looked into it better I would have expected less, as it seems to have lost its way in its overly long development.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Sep 2008, 16:43

Playing the Space Age now - quite liked the Civilisation stage. Best stage so far.

Started off in the cell stage as Carnivore then Predator > Aggressive > Military so lets see how it goes now.
Y.N.W.A.
Alasdair
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Alasdair » 07 Sep 2008, 18:33

quick q on this game - are the other races you meet controlled by real world players or is there AI in there too?

the box didn't quite make it clear.

what I would love to see is some kind of Elite game but where the other guys you bump into are also real people playing but I'm not sure that's spore.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 07 Sep 2008, 19:14

Alasdair wrote:quick q on this game - are the other races you meet controlled by real world players or is there AI in there too?

the box didn't quite make it clear.

what I would love to see is some kind of Elite game but where the other guys you bump into are also real people playing but I'm not sure that's spore.

Sounds like you need Eve online, well, I say need, I think they do a free trial, so try that I found it dull to be honest. No idea about spore, you're all putting me off :)
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Sep 2008, 22:15

NOOOO!!!!! the game crashed!!!!! My ship that had 9000 health now has 2500 again, and i have to make 7 colonies!!! why!!!!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Sep 2008, 23:45

Ok, back to 9000 health again. I see the thing with these battles is to aim for the fring planets first. Although that means, i leave the main system alone as i'm not strong enough.... yet!

Also, its easier to batter tham into submission and capture the planet than it is to piss around terraforming! And seeing as the point of the game is to head for the centre of the universe, i have a while to go yet!!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Sep 2008, 14:55

oh dear

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0 ... Descending

203 reviews on amazon, 177 are 1 star
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 08 Sep 2008, 17:34

Dude, we get you don't like Spore and it isn't your type of game. No need to post further negative posts, we really get it ;-) Take a scan through those Amazon posts though, a large proportion if not the majority of of those one star 'reviews' (not than many of them can actually spell "review") are complaining they aren't going to buy Spore because of SecuROM.

It's a Will Wright 'game', so like Sim City and The Sims, it's more of a sandbox than a game in that tangible goals and challenges are largely optional and much of the of the fun is the creation element and just trying things out. Alas the media have hyped Spore as being all things to all people.

Soup
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 08 Sep 2008, 18:32

I was going to get Spore. Although with the Creature Creator, and the necessity of doing business with Electronic Arts, my enthusiasm has since peaked.

Should I get it?
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 08 Sep 2008, 18:38

So far I have generally been underwhelmed - if i had the choice again i would probably not buy this. But lets see how this goes.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2008, 18:38

All those one star reviews are a load of nonsense, hopefully Amazon will see sense and tidy them up.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 08 Sep 2008, 19:02

DaveG wrote:I was going to get Spore. Although with the Creature Creator, and the necessity of doing business with Electronic Arts, my enthusiasm has since peaked.

Should I get it?

It's definitely a try-before-you-buy product however there's no demo so you'll need to find somebody who owns Spore or read every review you can find to get the low down on what to expect. As others have commented it's less a game than a sandbox experience. It's about experimentation and customisation, not charging through a campaign as quickly a possible just to say "I won, I beat it". If this isn't your thing then you may not like Spore, however if you're the type who likes to try things out, to experiment, to see what works in various situations and scenarios and take you time and enjoy the learning experience then Spore may well appeal.

You can always play safe and wait until it hits the bargain bins ;-)

Soup
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2008, 19:44

DaveG wrote:I was going to get Spore. Although with the Creature Creator, and the necessity of doing business with Electronic Arts, my enthusiasm has since peaked.

Should I get it?

Ultimately it's a personal choice, I've enjoyed Sim City, the Sims and other similar games but I find Spore exceptionally dull - the only reason I'm still playing it is because I paid 30 pounds for it and trying to get some value for it.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Sep 2008, 20:11

The thing is I like Sim City, it was one of my first ever games and that was a challenge it wasn't a "casual" game, and Sims to a lesser extent, I even had fun playing simcity societies. As for Spore as a sandbox experince it really isnt deep enough to hold me for any length of time, which is a real shame.

I was hopeing the space section would be similar to Alpha centuri but I guess not.

Return to “Gaming”