Spore

Discuss PC and console gaming
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Spore

Postby EviL Ras » 18 Aug 2008, 23:47

Look! Its lil Rascle which i made in spore creature creator! Tragic, but i can't wait for this to come out!!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Re: Spore

Postby peted76 » 19 Aug 2008, 11:50

It's out early September!!

I saw this in play at Multiplay the other week, it was probably the highlight of the event for me, it truly does look like too much fun!!

The only problem I've got now is what to buy first, Warhammer Online or Spore? I can't play both they will suck me in!!
User of Asus G1 | Asus W5F | IBM T43p | PCMCIA MoGo | MX518 | Logitech Z-10 | USB controlled foam missile launcher | PSN: peted76 | Steam: garabug2
www.techpond.co.uk the UK's number 1 tech discussion forum
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 19 Aug 2008, 13:36

I'm really looking forward to Spore. I've decided I'm not going to read a single review though, I want every experience to be new and surprising rather than me knowing and anticipating all the cool stuff before I've even bought the game.

Plus good news for Mac owners is EA bundling Mac and PC versions on one hybrid DVD.

Soup
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 19 Aug 2008, 13:41

Im looking forward to spore, however the copy protection means there is no way I will be buying it.

It may drive me back to piracy though.
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 19 Aug 2008, 16:56

I thought the copy protection was pretty flexible for an EA game:

1. You can install it on up to three machines (and play) simultaneously.
2. You must activate/authenticate only on the first install.
3. Re-authentication will only happen when you play online or when installing patches or expansions.

Full details are here: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spor ... ion-q.html It sounds pretty fair to me! Given Spore's community focus, similar to MMO's there's no real need for heavy protection.

Soup
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Aug 2008, 17:04

Soup4 wrote:I thought the copy protection was pretty flexible for an EA game:

1. You can install it on up to three machines (and play) simultaneously.
2. You must activate/authenticate only on the first install.
3. Re-authentication will only happen when you play online or when installing patches or expansions.

Full details are here: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spor ... ion-q.html It sounds pretty fair to me! Given Spore's community focus, similar to MMO's there's no real need for heavy protection.

Soup

Its a similar system to that used for Mass Effect and you are likely to be presented with the following if say you install it on three machines then one dies and you try to reinstall it.

Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 19 Aug 2008, 17:30

Fortunately I use a Mac and Time Machine backups all my files, but that sucks for people who don't backup.

Soup
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Aug 2008, 17:32

Like the majortiy of the PC using community.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 19 Aug 2008, 18:45

Soup4 wrote:Fortunately I use a Mac and Time Machine backups all my files, but that sucks for people who don't backup.

Soup

Would be handy to know which files are needed for it's verification, then you wouldn't have to back up the whole game installation.
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 20 Aug 2008, 17:35

Alas on Windows it may not just be a file, some copy protections systems write to a particular sector on the disk and reference it in the registry - it's hard enough to find obvious things in the registry let alone obscure things you're not meant to find! OS X uses 'packages' so all the files are either part of the package of in the packages library file. Mercifully Apple make it very difficult to propagate such crappy copyright systems on their platform.

It's a bit naff that EA sometimes drive legitimate purchasers to use cracked versions of the software they legally own.

Soup (not advocating piracy!)
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 20 Aug 2008, 22:02

Soup4 wrote:Mercifully Apple make it very difficult to propagate such crappy copyright systems on their platform.

It's a bit naff that EA sometimes drive legitimate purchasers to use cracked versions of the software they legally own.

Soup (not advocating piracy!)

Agreed.
Also, I shall just make a remark to complement our prior OS debates. From what I have learnt about Apples, the way programs are installed is one thing I do like the sound of. Reminds me of the Psion days :)
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Sep 2008, 10:15

ok, got the game, and TRYING to install now. Its taking forever, and i have to shoot to work soon!!

Didnt realise but you can design vehicles too!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 05 Sep 2008, 15:20

Oh dear general opinion at the minute is that its pretty disapointing.

My install went pretty smoothly I am hearing lots of complaints about the EA registration system being crap.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 05 Sep 2008, 16:10

To be honest, it's EA handling the sales that's putting me off buying this. The Creature Creator was even made to crash by their EA Downloader app.
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 05 Sep 2008, 17:20

scarbunny wrote:Oh dear general opinion at the minute is that its pretty disapointing.

My install went pretty smoothly I am hearing lots of complaints about the EA registration system being crap.

No problems installing on the Mac, about 4 minutes start to finish and no problems with registration/activation either.

Disappointing? I guess this depends on your expectations. The first three stages are little more than mini-games and are really only there to serve a way to define the type of race you want to steer in the space stage, which according to reviews, is quite deep. Spore isn't a hardcore RTS although reaching the centre of the universe (and achieving one of the games endings) is incredibly tough. Spore is aimed at the more casual gamer, just like the original Sim City and The Sims but like GTA IV, has been hyped as being everything to everybody.

I am really liking it so far; the attention to detail and humour is classic Will Wright. Plus the ability to switch from the game to the desktop is great, I wasn't sure if CIDER would support that Mac fearture.

Soup (Soup_UK on the Spore servers)

Return to “Gaming”