Nintendo Switch

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 02 Feb 2017, 09:50

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post The complete lack of games is really putting me off, Zelda seems to be the only thing worth getting in the first 2 months of launch but I've never got on with a 3D Zelda game.

I think I'm in quite a good position with The Switch.

Obviously, Zelda is a big thing for me so that's ticked off - but I never got around to playing a lot of the indie titles that are being released on it, so really looking forward to picking some of those up.

Binding of Isaac, I am Setsuna, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight are the ones I can remember off the top of my head and will definitely buy.

Though I'm kind of loath to pay the prices being asked, Street Fighter and Bomberman I'll probably pick up too as I really enjoy both those games.

Then Splatoon, Sonic Mania, Skyrim (which I dipped into when it first came out but never really got into) and Mario later on in the year.

ARMS, 1-2-Switch and Snipperclips I'd buy if they get cheap.

Can't decide on Mario Kart 8, played it a lot on the Wii U, and while it would be nice to have it on the go, not sure I'd play it much as it's too familiar. Again, if it ever gets cheap I'd pick it up.

So yeah, for me personally it's a pretty jam packed year of games I'm looking forward to getting for the Switch.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 06 Feb 2017, 21:52

Watching this trailer and seeing the home/one-console multiplayer games again it does seem a shame that they're not included Wii-Sports style.

And getting a look from a girl on the bus? :lol: A few what are they doing looks in other parts too (well it seemed that way to me).
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Feb 2017, 11:27

Swapped out my standard Zelda edition for the Limited Edition.

Really not worth the extra money, but I have a history of buying Zelda special editions, so when I saw it was in stock on Amazon I couldn't resist.

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo Switch

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Feb 2017, 14:54

I dunno. i get the feeling if I got one for my birthday, then I'd love it. but not sure i can justify £200 to play mariokart!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Nintendo Switch

Postby scarbunny » 22 Feb 2017, 15:57

Pre-order cancelled, Zelda is the only thing I would play (I was going to say want but that's over egging it somewhat) on it until Christmas and even that is out on the Wii U if I'm really that bothered.

If it were £200 It'd almost be impulse buy territory but £350 can be much better spent elsewhere.

I'll probably get it in my head I want one before the end of the year and have to have it right now, but as it stands I'll wait.
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Feb 2017, 22:46

A sensible choice!

Cheaper prices and more choice, ironed out bugs.

J
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 27 Feb 2017, 08:24

Well, Breath of the Wild seems to be getting the most incredible previews. Extremely excited!

J
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 27 Feb 2017, 10:13

Yeah, saw Edge have it 10/10!
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 27 Feb 2017, 10:25

was speaking to my mate who works at a game developer and he's hearing rumours that the left controller keeps dropping sync (hardware issue) from those that have early access.

Sure it won't stop the pre-orders just wanted to share the info. I guess if it is a thing, it will be in the news pretty quick...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 27 Feb 2017, 13:53

Also read something about that - the "left controller would drop off" I think the guy said. Didn't read the article fully so not sure if he meant sync or attachment.
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 27 Feb 2017, 16:02

Yeah it's been quite widely reported from a few different gaming people a few days ago.

Some are saying it may be software, as they can boost power of the bluetooth chip.

Wait to hear more I guess. Strange as it wasn't happening at all the preview events where you'd think interference issues would be more prevalent.

Wouldn't be a hardware launch without some kind of hardware controversy!

j
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Mar 2017, 15:38

It has arrived...

Waiting at home. Should be back and able to get it on around 7pm.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 03 Mar 2017, 17:36

Licked your game cartridges yet?! :lol:

Well, when you get home, video of you doing that, please. :slap:
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo Switch

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Mar 2017, 23:38

LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 06 Mar 2017, 09:36

Well, after the first weekend with it, I have to say, I'm in love!

Overall, the console feels really very nice, a premium gadget for sure.

Screen nice and bright, excellent quality. The sound is surprisingly sound and clear too.

The JoyCons in handheld mode are excellent and playing with them detached is very liberating. Like the Wii but without that tether, so makes it even more comfortable. They are surprisingly light but also feel very sturdy. All the buttons have good solid feedback. using them in the grip I find an excellent substitute for a "real" controller. I'm holding off on a purchase of a Pro controller as don't feel the need for it.

Played some two player Snipperclips also, which was a good opportunity to use the joycons in single, side on mode. They are small, but not cripplingly so. Probably wouldn't want to play for more than 2/3 hours like this - though that is improved by using the extra shoulder grips.

Not experienced any drop off in connectivity. Played Zelda on my tv for an hour last night. The dock and Switch had to go behind my TV, along with amp, sky box, chromecast, raspberry PI and all the cables that go along with that. I didn't have one episode of lost connectivity (I was sat about 10 feet away).

But really, it's the portability which is just amazing. Being able to take it upstairs to bed, play in the kitchen whist waiting for something to cook etc is just SO good. Being able to snatch the odd ten minutes here or there are great, especially when time to play is generally limited by normal life.

Battery is around 2.5-3 hours on Zelda. Which is enough, though obviously more would be welcome. But I'm on USB C for my phone, so this really doesn't bother me as I have chargers everywhere and they work fine with the switch.

Eshop is very bare bones at the moment, but I'm so surprised at the speed of the operating system. Coming from the Wii U, and even DS consoles it is night and day. So snappy switching between screens and games. Taking screenshots is even faster than the PS4, so hats off to Nintendo to upping their game in this area.

So yeah, really happy with the console. Just need to see the games develop, which will hopefully come in time, but 2017 looks to be well catered for already.

j

Return to “Gaming”