Nintendo Switch

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 23:28

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post TL:DR :- Pre-Ordered.

Lol, didn't see that coming!

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 17 Jan 2017, 09:39

Haha, good ol' Scar rant then hairpin turn purchase! ;)

I remember thinking the N64 was hugely expensive at £250 at launch.

I think it would fit nicely in my TV cabinet/stand where my Wii u sits in one of the shelves. Easy to dock/un-dock it. Actually, now I think about it I'd need to double the amount of height to get the Switch in...
Tappy

Nintendo Switch

Postby Tappy » 17 Jan 2017, 11:27

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Also, the switch uses an underclocked tegra chip. so would you be better with a nvidia shield? Tappy has experience of this and can say whether it worked out or not.

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post I'm kind of interested in the Switch, the price of the main unit doesn't put me off sure it's higher than I would have liked but Brexit. Considering the Shield Tablet is £200ish and extra £70 for having hardware/software worth having with games worth playing is probably worth the premium.

I paid £300 for the Shield Tablet (not K1) and that was when it had been out for quite a while and they were discounting it with a free controller!

I think the Shield is a different kettle of fish, because, unless you're streaming from GRID (which worked great) or from the PC (which sometimes worked...), you're just playing Android games. Which, albeit sometimes optimized, played with no performance issues. Whereas the Switch is going to have games designed for it, so they don't need to take into account someone using a Samsung Pro 1 One Plus Fourteen with a 200MHz processor running Android Cunninglingus or whatever - so should be able to get more out of it locally. And, hopefully, a less needy OS than Android, so won't get the slow down so much.

Wonder how the battery life on the Switch holds up in real life. The Shield was never good if you were gaming.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 17 Jan 2017, 12:43

Tappy wrote:Source of the post running Android Cunninglingus

I think that's only available in Japan. :shock:
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 17 Jan 2017, 14:01

that's android tentacles Robbo... :slap:
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 17 Jan 2017, 14:26

Tappy wrote:Wonder how the battery life on the Switch holds up in real life. The Shield was never good if you were gaming.

Apparently 2.5 to 6 hours depending on the game. Nintendo have said 3 hours for Zelda.

So yeah, about as good as I could have expected.

Wonder if my portable USB C charger will work with it? Not that I see myself needing more than three hours in a go.

It's this one FYI.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone ... B00M0EWED0

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 18 Jan 2017, 01:50

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Wonder if my portable USB C charger will work with it? Not that I see myself needing more than three hours in a go.

It's this one FYI.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone ... B00M0EWED0

Apart from a USB-c port, there anything special to distinguish it from a normal 2A USB anker charger like what I have?
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 20 Jan 2017, 12:53

Games coming down in price a bit. £10 off Zelda, and used the Amazon £10 off a £50 spend thing for further savings.

j
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 26 Jan 2017, 13:43

Thought this was a well written article, and pretty much sums up why I'm excited for the Switch.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/01/25/dont ... opposition

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 26 Jan 2017, 14:52

Was that John's anti-self? :lol: ;)
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 31 Jan 2017, 15:56

Well, the excitement continues. Not too long now...

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 31 Jan 2017, 23:02

Spoke to a Nintendo friend and he's not sure on a pre-order yet - mainly the cost of games and extra controllers being high. And if he wants to play Zelda he can on the Wii U first.
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 01 Feb 2017, 09:56

Yeah, if you can wait, totally makes sense. Rarely any benefits to buying consoles when they first come out!

j
scarbunny

Nintendo Switch

Postby scarbunny » 01 Feb 2017, 16:34

I'm still on the fence on if I'm keeping my pre-order.

The complete lack of games is really putting me off, Zelda seems to be the only thing worth getting in the first 2 months of launch but I've never got on with a 3D Zelda game. The end of April sees the launch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, however that has no new tracks just what is available for the Wii U with some shiny new graphics. Then there seems to be nothing until Mario for Christmas, by which time Microsoft's Project Scorpio should be out and compatible with every Xbox One game.

But it's new shiny tech that's out soon. Although saying that I passed on the PSVR which at least offers a new experience so maybe I don't need to buy all the games tech.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 01 Feb 2017, 18:05

Extended version of a new ad for the Super Bowl spot. Looks good! And the click... Think I'll fire up the Wii U tonight.

And Scar saying that about a 3D Zelda might be the same for me. I never got into it on the N64. Have always wanted to try again but haven't yet.

Return to “Gaming”