Nintendo Switch

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 15 Jan 2017, 22:07

So, anyone else interested, or extremely excited by this (I am!).

The internet being the internet is full of whiny gaming troll bitches, and it really is so very boring.

Lots of complaints about the cost mainly, and the quality/ quantity of titles at launch.

Personally, price is not an issue to me. Sub £300 for a new piece of tech is well within reason, and it looks like a nice piece of hardware. I don't understand the price thing, people are happy to drop £700 on a new phone every couple of years, but a console you'll have 5+ years potentially is suddenly ridiculously expensive. Seems people are saying that $50 less and this would be an instant buy. Is $50 really that much money to make or break?

The comparison to current consoles and price is an argument you cannot make. Nintendo have to cover R&D costs, advertising, manufacture etc etc, and, shock horror make some profit. The Yen is extremely strong at the moment. They can not sensibly price this console in line with current PS4 hardware deals, it's silly to think they should.

I also feel that the Switch is not in direct competition. Many gamers will have bought a PS4 or Xbox One, the Switch is a second console. For people on the fence about Switch or PS4, price may make a difference, but I think it's more going to boil down to the experiences you can have on that console. Wether or not the Switch is the right choice, is down to that individual, but I do not think price in the long term if going to harm the sales in a significant way.

In regards to the launch line up, there isn't much massively interesting to me outside of Zelda. But I would say this has been the same for many consoles recently, and is nothing new, so again, I don't get the hate. Having one potentially all time classic launching is better than many lines ups. It's the games over the next 12-18 months that matter and hopefully there is more to be announced in any case.

Overall though, I'm happy with what Nintendo have done so far. It's a perfect console to me, given I sit on a bus for over 2 hours a day, and have a young kid so gaming time is often snatched between other things, or in bed.

Hardware looks more than capable enough to provide amazing game experiences, to have this on the go with proper controls is very exciting.

The different JoyCon configurations looks cool, and though I won't use the JoyCon two player configuration much, it's a very neat feature, and I will go down well for those little impromptu multiplayer sessions that invariably come along.

So yeah, roll on March 3rd, hopefully Amazon deliver on the day!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Jan 2017, 04:58

I've lost a lot of interest in the console now the details are known, the prices are crazy and I'm worried the hype machine is ultimately going to do a lot of damage because people are going to preorder the crap out of it much like the NES Classic which is a pretty disappointing product has got away with it a lot because for some reason it generated a ton of hype. On the other hand, the Wii U quickly picked up a very negative reputation but it's easily my favourite console of this generation for its excellent first party titles and also for its superb compatibility with the controllers - I've played four player games with the gamepad, the old classic controller, a Wiimote/Nun-chuck and a Wii Pro controller which worked perfectly. Frustratingly that's something the Switch dumps entirely while the new standard controller is £73 and the pro controller £65, hefty increases over the previous generation and hefty against rival controllers which are high quality, cheaper and also now fully compatible with the PC and Steam Link. Launching with exactly the same amount of storage as the Wii U despite the much larger titles and no higher storage option is also poor especially given the price, I realise it's expandable but it shouldn't be a crutch the console has to rely on.

While I don't agree with either the hate, I think blind love for it is just as bad and I think people have plenty reason to be disappointed as now I've seen the details of the console I've got a lot less excited about it. Launch consoles are generally very poor though as prices are usually high and games are thin on the ground so will wait and see how it turns out, aside from the Xbox One/PS4 being big letdowns as consoles there's no other portable options. To my annoyance I lost my 3DS a couple of months ago and it's at the point in its life now where it's not really worth paying to replace.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 16 Jan 2017, 11:00

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintend ... 34-2600605

not for me as I have an xbox and iphone for gaming on the go. Love the approach though, it's great Nintendo are there to challenge the norm.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo Switch

Postby robbo » 16 Jan 2017, 12:04

I'm looking forward to it. Looks cool and hoping the tv to portable aspect works well. I hardly play my Wii U at the moment so it won't be an I start launch buy for me but do intend on getting one at some point.

The Mario Kart 8 deluxe game seems a little like a copout to me but then I guess having a Mario Kart game out is good and 9 can wait a while. Mario in the "real" world looks interesting!

I still haven't got a Wii U pro controller as I thought they were expensive so these ones seem mega expensive - although people do pay over £100 for other console pro versions.

Either way, I'm excited for it and want a play on it!
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 13:06

matt wrote:Source of the post http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintend ... 34-2600605

not for me as I have an xbox and iphone for gaming on the go. Love the approach though, it's great Nintendo are there to challenge the norm.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the Amazon game prices. Hoping the come down for actual launch. I really don't know why they would charge £20 more for the Switch over the Wii U version asides from cashing in.

Is that A Nintendo or Amazon thing?

j
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 13:07

robbo wrote:Source of the postThe Mario Kart 8 deluxe game seems a little like a copout to me but then I guess having a Mario Kart game out is good and 9 can wait a while. Mario in the "real" world looks interesting!

Hopefully more people get to play it this time round!

Unsure if I will buy it again for the Switch, I put a lot of hours into it, and feel I'm done with it. Though it would be the ultimate showcase of the multiplayer capabilities...

j
Tappy

Nintendo Switch

Postby Tappy » 16 Jan 2017, 14:13

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Personally, price is not an issue to me. Sub £300 for a new piece of tech is well within reason, and it looks like a nice piece of hardware. I don't understand the price thing, people are happy to drop £700 on a new phone every couple of years, but a console you'll have 5+ years potentially is suddenly ridiculously expensive.

I'm guilty of this. I keep thinking that a new console is so expensive, yet drop hundreds on pithy things (and beer. I spend a lot on beer). Even though I know I would use an Xbox One almost every day as a media box.

I've not owned a Nintendo since the DS, which I donated to a Berlin Taxi driver. But I'm open to giving the Switch a try if the reviews are good. And if there is a Pokémon game.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Jan 2017, 14:40

The price is relative based on how much use I get out of the product and how it compares to rival products - I've paid a lot of money for my phone but it's the piece of tech I use the most, far more than any console and more than any of my PC's. With the Wii U it simply wasn't worth buying a lot of controllers for the occasional multiplayer game but that didn't matter as I could use my existing collection of Nintendo controllers without issue while for the Xbox One, the controllers are cheaper and they're also great for use with the PC and now Steam Link plus any BT device pretty much. The Switch prices are much worse in both regards, there's no way I'm paying £70+ (or whatever the final prices settle down to) for an extra controller never mind three and even the charging base is ridiculous at just under £30. The Wii Pro controller could run off mini USB, the Wiimotes just used normal AA batteries while both the Xbox One and PS4 controllers can run off micro USB and the Xbox One runs fine with normal AA batteries.

What that means in practice is no more local multiplayer which was something the Wii U did far better than the Xbox One and PS4 which have largely phased out any split screen support at all on a lot of games. I really don't see what's difficult to understand about the price thing, the prices for the Switch are far more than they should be.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 15:11

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post What that means in practice is no more local multiplayer which was something the Wii U did far better than the Xbox One and PS4 which have largely phased out any split screen support at all on a lot of games. I really don't see what's difficult to understand about the price thing, the prices for the Switch are far more than they should be.

John

I think the console price is fine right? So you mainly have issues with accessories?

Yeah, they are expensive. But also worth mentioning that you already have two controllers with the starting system. Getting another pair means probably for most games you have another two controllers. So it's not like you need to buy 3 more sets of two joycons.

Unless I guess you really need a proper controller to play multiplayer games. I assume for a lot of them, one half of a joycon will be enough.

For me it feels like Nintendo are going for a you play with multiple consoles, rather than multiple controllers. So your friends bring their consoles, if that makes sense?

j

EDIT - and not trying to defend the price of the controllers, as it is a lot. But thought I'd mention that they do seem to be packing in a lot more tech than the PS4 controller at least. With 20 hours battery, the HD rumble thing, better gyroscope tech and the IR blaster/ kinnect lite function - all in a smaller package with the dual function of being able to split it in two and have two controllers.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Jan 2017, 15:23

I have issues with the cost of the console as well given its relatively basic hardware but launch prices are usually always high and never last so it's less of an issue longterm but accessory prices tend to stick. Even counting the one Joycon controller as two, the price is completely insane as that puts that little half controller at a similar price to a fully blown Xbox One S controller.

I can absolutely see that Nintendo want people to buy multiple Switches for multiplayer, it totally makes sense for them to sell several hundred quids worth of console than an additional controller (or in the case of the Wii U, less since you could use existing controllers) but as a consumer, it's of little use to me. Few of my friends and family purchased Nintendo consoles (and none have any interest in the Switch) but it didn't matter for the Wii U as I had plenty of controllers and the Wii U was superb for four player split screen multiplayer. With the Switch, that capability is effectively completely lost and the only reason for that is Nintendo setting such ridiculous prices - there really is no defence for such price gouging when you look at the hardware.

I genuinely wonder what the console details would have been if the Switch hadn't hit the hype train, I suspect much, much better for consumers as no free ride - I feel the PS4 has really suffered as the lead console as Sony clearly can't be bothered doing much with it while MS being put on the back foot has forced them to do a lot I doubt they'd have bothered with. Blind adoration is no benefit to any product, you keep saying you don't understand the price issue - if you can't understand that charging vastly more money than the tech is worth or similar rival products then there's nothing I can do to explain that.

John
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 16:12

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postif you can't understand that charging vastly more money than the tech is worth or similar rival products then there's nothing I can do to explain that.

John

I suppose I look at £280 as reasonable. Considering it does have some nice tech in it, a new idea and all the associated R&D costs that go along wth this. The Yen is strong against an awful £. A Samsung Galaxy A3 with a 4.7 inch screen, costs £250, and will be using off the shelf parts, and is just iterative upgrades of tens of phones that have gone before it.

Not forgetting that inflation adjusted price, the Switch is apparently the 4th cheapest console at launch.

Yeah, controllers are expensive, and for your individual use case, that is a huge downside for you, but for myself, and probably others, it's not a deal breaker.

Also, you say "if you can't understand that charging vastly more money than the tech is worth or similar rival products then there's nothing I can do to explain that." but you say that buying an expensive phone is ok as you use it a lot. By that same logic, if the person buying the console uses it a lot then a much higher price than the tech is actually worth is justified?

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 16 Jan 2017, 16:52

so... anyone else buying about from Rob and Jim?
jurassicjim

Nintendo Switch

Postby jurassicjim » 16 Jan 2017, 17:16

I get the feeling John is warming to a day one purchase...

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo Switch

Postby EviL Ras » 16 Jan 2017, 18:12

Been keeping an eye on all the youtube comments. But honestly cant see me using this. I only ever dip into gaming on my mobile now on the tube. Never get time at home with a wife and dog! Tho i guess the advantage is that you can play on the tablet instead of the TV.

That said, they just said out the box, the joycon grip doesnt charge. its £30 extra for the charging one. So you need to remember to dock them back on the tablet in the TV dock to charge them back up again each night. 20 hour battery, so you wouldnt need to do it daily. but still! Something to watch out for!

Also, the switch uses an underclocked tegra chip. so would you be better with a nvidia shield? Tappy has experience of this and can say whether it worked out or not.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Nintendo Switch

Postby scarbunny » 16 Jan 2017, 22:32

I'm kind of interested in the Switch, the price of the main unit doesn't put me off sure it's higher than I would have liked but Brexit. Considering the Shield Tablet is £200ish and extra £70 for having hardware/software worth having with games worth playing is probably worth the premium. Especially with the obscenely priced controllers and dock included. Sure its a lot more expensive than a PS4 or Xbox One with a game but they are 3 years old now so not really a fair comparison, also if you want a Switch a PS4 really isn't the same thing.

The concept of the Switch is interesting, the idea of being able to just pull the console from the dock and continue where you left of is, on the one hand, so simple and brilliant 20 years ago I would have killed for that feature but on the other hand I have no use for it now. I've got a Vita that can remote play my PS4 on which I never use a Windows 10 tablet with built in controller to remote play the Xbox which I never use. Sure for other people it's useful for me though...meh.

One of my big issue with the Switch at this point is the pricing of the peripherals. £75 for a pair of Joy-Con is ridiculous, but considering the only way to charge them out of the box is to attach them to the main unit so if you've got 2 pairs of Joy-Con how are you charging the second ones? Thats right with the £30 charging adapter, so really a second pair of Joys-Con is £105. So you'd probably be better off with the £60 pro controller. Additional docks are $90 (I've not seen UK pricing on that one yet) for a dumb dock which seems to be nothing more than a USB-C to HDMI adapter in a big arse plastic enclosure, I wonder if a standard USB-C to HDMI cable would do it.

Breath of the Wind - Looks good, have never got on with 3D Zelda games in the past but willing to give it ago, but is really worth £20 over the Wii U version when its the same game?

1-2 Switch - Looks like it should have been the pack in game, £40 seems steep.

Mario Kart 8 - It's good, I assume the Switch version will be better but I can't justify £50 for something I've already got and already hammered.

Mario Odyssey - Looks kinda awesome if kinda terrifying, but how is it not day one?

Splatoon 2, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors - Meh.

The one thing I can't get my head round is where does it live in your entertainment system? Its obviously not designed to be hidden away with the other consoles otherwise you can't drop it in or out of the dock, but its far too ugly to live on the top in plain sight.

TL:DR :- Pre-Ordered.

Return to “Gaming”