Nintendo NX

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 20 Oct 2016, 16:57

What do we think then?

I'm excited. Very slick for a Nintendo console, and console in general.

I'm a day one purchase, but I'm a fanyboy!

Glad to see it getting positive write ups in the press.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo NX

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Oct 2016, 18:10

I thought the Wii U and 3DS wee superb, both offered really polished games that were something a bit different whereas I feel the PS4/Xbox One are increasingly generic particularly with the Xbox offering cross compatibility with the PC.

If the games are up to the usual Nintendo standard and there's no deal breakers with the console it will probably be a day one purchase for me as well.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo NX

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Oct 2016, 21:21

I haven't owned a Nintendo since the original wii! In fact I haven't had a copy sole since the ps3 or a handheld since the psp! So definately not in the market for this!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo NX

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Oct 2016, 21:46

Trailer

LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo NX

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Oct 2016, 23:43

I was a huge fan of Nintendo initially as I had the original Gameboy then a Snes which was a superb console and I loved the N64 for its outstanding Nintendo and Rare libraries plus the four player split screen support. The Gamecube was the first console I bought of that generation but I didn't click with it for some reason and then when I found Metropolis Street Racer had a sequel on the Xbox I bought one of those with Halo and PGR which quickly became my favourite console of that generation. Not only could it do four player split screen but LAN play as well then they added the excellent Xbox Live, on the generation after the 360 was my favourite again and although I had a Wii I wasn't that keen on it particularly the constant annoyance of the motion controls.

For this generation though the Wii U has easily been my favourite and feels like a breath of fresh air in many regards, I did occasionally use the remote play and thought that it would be fun if the gamepad was self contained and a little sleeker as it was quite cool playing games on the screen (just fairly pointless for me when there was a TV nearby) and it makes the 3DS XL seem pretty small. That's pretty much what the Switch offers and more importantly it has a proper name - I think one of the reasons the Wii U tanked so badly is because people didn't realise it was a next gen console. Same with the 3DS, when the 2DS came out there were a load of comments about how it was pointless because there was already a 2D 3DS - the original DS! They didn't realise the 3DS was a next generation console over the DS and instead thought it was just a DS that supported 3D stereoscopic viewing.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Oct 2016, 08:21

Johnmcl7 wrote: I think one of the reasons the Wii U tanked so badly is because people didn't realise it was a next gen console. Same with the 3DS, when the 2DS came out there were a load of comments about how it was pointless because there was already a 2D 3DS - the original DS! They didn't realise the 3DS was a next generation console over the DS and instead thought it was just a DS that supported 3D stereoscopic viewing.

Yeah, for sure. Nintendo were horrible at actually selling and marketing the Wii U.

Thankfully, they seem to have learned from that failure and done a proper job with the NS. You watch that video and it's 100% clear in three minutes what this does and why you should buy it.

They also seem to know what they need to do for this console, i.e get third parties involved (not that it matters much to me personally) properly and have those popular games on the console. Having Skyrim featured so heavily in the video was weird, but good! Take Two as a confirmed publisher too also bodes well.

The only other thing they really need to make sure they nail is the games release schedule. The first or so year needs the big hitters out, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc. I also pray to the gaming gods they resurrect some of the missing games from recent years, Waverace, Metroid Prime, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero and many more. Such a rich seam of franchises they could mine, and I would love to be able to play them with the flexibility of the Switch, as the racing games in particular perfect for couch multiplayer gaming.

Please Nintendo, ride this wave of positive publicity and keep churning out the news up until March.

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo NX

Postby matt » 21 Oct 2016, 11:02

it's all about excitebike!

and offroad 4x4
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo NX

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Oct 2016, 13:12

I so badly want another F-Zero game and I'm disappointed they didn't make a Wii U version as playing Mario Kart on the 200cc mode on the F-Zero track they have pretty much everything they need there engine wise to make an F-zero game already.

John
jurassicjim

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Oct 2016, 15:19

Yes Matt! Did you play the N64 one? That was really good.

Yeah, I forgot about the F Zero tracks in Mario Kart, surely it's a nod to them making a new one. I don't really think they were ever big sellers though, so I kind of get why they wouldn't make one. But it would make a lot of 30-somethings very happy!

I was reading the subreddit for it, and someone brought up charging. I really hope it has USB C and not some proprietary thing. If it's meant to be used on the go, it would be so nice to have it play with all my other chargers.

j
jurassicjim

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Oct 2016, 15:23

While I'm dreaming.

I want it to launch with a full Virtual Console. Everything they had on the Wii, Wii U and DS/3DS avaible from day one.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Nintendo NX

Postby robbo » 22 Oct 2016, 15:00

Yes!! I'm looking forward to this! Looks great. Hoping battery life and longevity of the clicking mechanism etc aren't downers.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo NX

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2016, 17:41

Standardised charging?! What sort of craziness is that Jim...

John
jurassicjim

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Oct 2016, 21:15

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Standardised charging?! What sort of craziness is that Jim...

John

I told you I was dreaming!

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo NX

Postby matt » 24 Oct 2016, 12:29

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Yes Matt! Did you play the N64 one? That was really good.

Yeah, I forgot about the F Zero tracks in Mario Kart, surely it's a nod to them making a new one. I don't really think they were ever big sellers though, so I kind of get why they wouldn't make one. But it would make a lot of 30-somethings very happy!

I was reading the subreddit for it, and someone brought up charging. I really hope it has USB C and not some proprietary thing. If it's meant to be used on the go, it would be so nice to have it play with all my other chargers.

j

think I went from nes to PS1. Never really understood the N64 controller, it weirded me out big time!
jurassicjim

Nintendo NX

Postby jurassicjim » 24 Oct 2016, 12:57

matt wrote:Source of the post
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Yes Matt! Did you play the N64 one? That was really good.

j

think I went from nes to PS1. Never really understood the N64 controller, it weirded me out big time!

You missed out Matt! The controller was actually great. Still nice to use to this day.

j

Return to “Gaming”