2016- the year of VR?

Discuss PC and console gaming
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

2016- the year of VR?

Postby scarbunny » 12 Jan 2016, 13:45

Because the internet is full of self entitled pricks who want everything on their terms, and don't understand that when Palmer Luckey said they were aiming for a $2-400 price point it was over 2 years ago and a lot has changed.

The internet complains about everything, when PSN went down for half a day people were demanding the choice of any 2 free games, for less than 20p worth of service loss.

However OR have built up an expectation that the product would be affordable, the Dev Kits being $300, Palmer saying they were aiming for no more than $400, giving free retail units to Kickstarter backers at the $300 level. Also I think being owned by Facebook built in an expectation that they would be able to eat the loss to release at the expected $300 mark. It doesn't help that they have done nothing to prepare people for the high cost.

Now I don't care about the cost, tech costs what it costs, amd I'm not that interested in OR for other reasons, but that phone cost justification is just plain ridiculous.
Tappy

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Tappy » 12 Jan 2016, 15:35

If I bought one (a Rift), what could I do with it? Is it mostly a gaming tool for particular games that have been adapted for it (and some cinema app according to wiki)? And is the VR experience of moving my head and the screen reacting a game changer?

The article that Ras linked seems to sell VR well, albeit a bad experience for the particular user.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jan 2016, 19:45

Tappy wrote:Source of the post If I bought one (a Rift), what could I do with it? Is it mostly a gaming tool for particular games that have been adapted for it (and some cinema app according to wiki)? And is the VR experience of moving my head and the screen reacting a game changer?

Games are one use, there's already several that are compatible with it as well as applications to take advantage of the VR such as training videos. There's also potential for VR videos with a few professional and consumer 360 cameras out that can record content that can be watched using a VR headset.

The article that Ras linked seems to sell VR well, albeit a bad experience for the particular user.

That could be an issue, it is difficult because if they produce poor quality VR devices then they'll quickly get a bad reputation and die while if they go too pricey it will struggle to get mass adoption and probably die as well. I quite like Samsung's idea of making a headset to use with your phone as a cheap way to try VR and see what you think, it won't be up to what the Occulus Rift can do but it still seems pretty decent (the last Occulus development kit used a Samsung Note 4 screen for its display) and it's a fraction of the price.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

2016- the year of VR?

Postby se99paj » 15 Jan 2016, 14:50

I'm quite interested in the HoloLens but probably for work rather than home, if you buy into the Microsoft blurb it sounds very impressive, also by supporting universal apps you don't necessarily need to develop anything new.

Also the use case is augmented reality rather than virtual reality so slightly different market.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Feb 2016, 01:31

The Hololens system looks incredible although I guess the question is what can they actually deliver as the responses from the prototypes has been fairly disappointing although to be fair, it is still fairly early on for the technology.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Tappy » 26 Feb 2016, 13:51

So, HTC Vive or Oculus Rift? I read some 'Vs' articles and they seem to come out on an even keel. The Vive appears to be more into the moving-about type gaming with its cameras. However, as much as the Wii MotionPlus or Kinect are a lot of fun, do you really want to be prancing around your living room every time you want to play a game? However, the Vive does bring the games with the SteamVR support. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'm still leaning toward the Rift at the moment.

However, four USB ports for the Rift?! I only have seven ports!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

2016- the year of VR?

Postby scarbunny » 26 Feb 2016, 15:37

My preference is PSVR, probably not the best tech but the easiest to use and set up and by far the cheapest, even if the headset costs £400+. I also prefer the headset implementation as you seem to be less cut off from the outside.

However for "real" VR I am torn, Vive seems like the more interesting tech and while its more expensive you get more for your money. But moving around pulls you out of an experience so surely OR is the more immersive, and while still expensive is the cheaper option.

I'm generally a little annoyed with the level of fragmentation with it all, I don't want to have a VR headset for each console and then one for the PC.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Feb 2016, 21:25

I agree about the PS VR, it's the only one I'm considering purchasing at the moment.

I haven't used the Vive but the claim is the external camera helps you keep a feel of where you are and actually improves the VR experience as apparently the total isolation is often a problem and makes VR uncomfortable for users.

As for fragmentation, I fully agree with you there given the extremely high cost of the VR systems I wish the companies had been able to work together to make a standard interface of some sort that could then be adapted to work with different systems. As awesome as Rez in VR sounds I doubt I can justify the PS VR price however if I was buying a headset I could also use on the PC then I'd be much more inclined to stump up for it.

John
scarbunny

2016- the year of VR?

Postby scarbunny » 29 Feb 2016, 18:22

Just seen the price for the Vive and delivery.

The headset is £689 and delivery is £57.60! Total of £746.60!!!!!!!!!!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Feb 2016, 20:54

Pennies compared to the hololens which has gone up for preorder at $3,000

John
scarbunny

2016- the year of VR?

Postby scarbunny » 01 Mar 2016, 00:19

I was going to try and defend that with "but it's for the dev kit" then remembered the OR DKs were cheap.

I guess it's sort of on par with the google glass pricing.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Mar 2016, 02:10

Well it was a tongue and cheek comment although I'm surprised the Hololens is that far along, the feedback from its recent outing seemed to be it was an interesting concept but a long way to go. You are right about the Occulus dev kit being cheaper than the retail one although that is unusual, I'd expect the production Hololens system to be cheaper or they're not really going for the consumer market.

I guess the Vive's cost isn't as much of a shock after the Occulus price but still a huge amount of money I wouldn't even consider at the moment. I like some of the ideas for VR but I can't imagine it as being something I would use regularly for hours at a time, comparatively £700 would get me a very nice new monitor for the PC which would be great for gaming or a good way towards a really nice TV for the consoles. I've spoken to friends who have used the Occulus dev kits and it seems a fun to have a shot of but no more than that. I like Samsung's approach of a very cheap system to give a taste for VR although frustratingly their new Consumer VR which does support a variety of current Samsung devices, doesn't support my older Note 4. They did release what seemed to be a beta one for the Note 4 but I was never able to order it and they seemed to have quickly dropped support for it.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

2016- the year of VR?

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Mar 2016, 09:51

Google cardboard anyone? They're like $20.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

2016- the year of VR?

Postby scarbunny » 01 Mar 2016, 15:13

Why not a Happy Meal?

This looks like a good first step for what I'm after but still first gen hardware, 720p and $699.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/ ... r-promise/

Also this new Leap Motion update thing looks amazing.

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Mar 2016, 17:23

Apparently the HTC Vive has sold by the bucket load, 15,000 in five minutes so we're clearly in the minority here.

John

Return to “Gaming”