2016- the year of VR?

Discuss PC and console gaming
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

2016- the year of VR?

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Dec 2016, 18:07

Tell me you don't want to try this after reading the below?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/06/star-wars ... e-6304535/

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Dec 2016, 13:45

I tried a basic Star Wars demo on the Rift Dk2, you had an X-wing and there were some TIE Fighters which all looked quite basic but it didn't matter because it felt cool as hell looking out the cockpit to see your wings and the weapons then looking up around the cockpit to spot TIE Fighters to go after.

John
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

2016- the year of VR?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Mar 2019, 22:21

I haven't been using my VR headset for a while and decided back in December to buy the wireless kit for the Vive which allows you to ditch the 3 in 1 cable that connects the Vive headset back to the PC. For a seated experience the cable isn't much of an issue but when using room scale VR the cable gets in the way.

However it's an expensive product and I've been debating whether to actually use it or not or sell the kit particularly as I've spent a lot on the Vive already. I finally fitted the kit which consists of the wireless transceiver for the headset which plugs directly into the front section, a PCI-E WiGig card and a dedicated aerial which sits on top of the monitor similar to a webcam. It then needs an extra utility which connects the headset wirelessly but after that, the system behaves exactly the same as when it's wired both in terms of running the software and the video performance on the headset.

I thought not having the cable would make it much easier to use the headset but it also makes it much more comfortable, I guess I didn't appreciate how much the cable was pulling when I was using it. My initial problem was that a quick half an hour session to test it turned into a marathon session finishing at 4am, I genuinely didn't think it was past 2am.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive

Return to “Gaming”