Destiny

Postby matt » 03 Sep 2015, 17:33

pi55er for me. NEED TO GRIND!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Sep 2015, 20:06

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Perfectly understandable, even if they weren't about to change almost every aspect of the game, from my recollection there has been very little maintenance downtime? Although there have been months on end that I've not played so I might have just been lucky. Should in theory finish for 10pm but these things never run as smoothly as they expect so wouldn't be surprised if there is a further delay.

It's the first long downtime I can ever recall in the game, other server work seems to have only lasted a few minutes which to be fair is pretty impressive for a system that size.

If you guys are doing the level 34, there's a couple of things to be aware of. The main issue is likely to be round 4 which according to the schedule is arc burn on the hive level with dismantle mines which is the worst combination for a level as the thrall's melee, the knight's projectiles and the wizard's projectiles are all arc so they're pretty much a one hit kill and the arc burn doesn't help as much either as the wizards are solar shielded. Getting to the mines is extremely difficult as the wizards can freely move around the level and they fire multiple times makes it near impossible to avoid them. It may be possible for a bladedancer hunter to get to the mines as they can stay mostly invisible but if not there is a way to cheat the level a bit by blocking the spawn doors, for some reason if you stand on the platform above the spawn doors they won't open and trap the enemies giving some peace and quiet to dismantle the mines. It's a little hit and miss but it should work by one player going right and then jumping on the platform that goes above the spawn door, they then stay there until the mines are finished - a blade dancer hunter is ideal for this as they can stay invisible and safely leg it when the door opens, a titan can also do it since they can pop a shield when they're caught but they'll likely get slaughtered the moment the shield drops. The other players must not go anywhere near the door nor shoot it otherwise the enemies can get out, once the mines are dismantled the other two players need to go back to the usual spot while the person holding the door sprints over in preparation for the enemies. I think the proper way to do it is to have one player on the door I mentioned and another on the door near the safe area, the strategy was shown to me by the AVF guys but I didn't see exactly where they were standing - it seemed to work more consistently than just a single person on the door but I've done the latter and it's worked after a few goes.

The boss shouldn't be too bad as it's solar burn and he's easy to get precision shots on, he's a huge knight that turns the floor to lava (or something very hot) which means you take constant damage while it's in effect. Continually jumping is the simple way to avoid it but a titan bubble with the first option selected (the one that shields people continually inside the bubble rather than giving an overshield) makes it easier as you're less vulnerable to incoming projectiles, it's difficult to stay in cover consistently otherwise.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Sep 2015, 01:34

I've just done a 34 and the hive level was worse than I remembered, even cheesing it we wiped a few times as on the second and third waves there's a pair of yellow wizards and they take a hammering. It's difficult to hit them with the rockets due to the terrain and amount of enemies so we ended up hiding at the bottom and thinning out the enemies then slamming the wizards. Leaving a thrall or similar gives you time to get back above the door as someone must be there before the round starts. I did it as my titan and then just legged it when the mines were done, we did have a hunter but he was handy for reviving people as he can do so under fire.

The boss took a lot longer than expected as I thought with the solar burn that Gally rockets would beat him in no time, again the wizards are a real pain although this time they go down much faster with the solar burn. Titans should focus on the enemies to build up their super bar more quickly, it's tight but you can almost regen the shield in time without additional orbs.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Sep 2015, 21:42

Tonight's lesson is, don't switch characters or try to join PoE on round 5....we were doing a PoE 32 for Matt's 30 character and he sensibly went with this 34 Titan and then was going to switch to his level 30 on the last round but it wouldn't let him rejoin because the activity was near the end. I was playing with a friend's son to help him get an armour core, we tried it a few times but weren't making much progress, it's the first run with the other guy and he's got a bit to learn so it was pretty much solo for me. Juggler was a complete nightmare as for some reason it wasn't dropping ammo at all for any weapon so when the cabal got close up instead of blowing them away with my shotgun I could do nothing and without the third player there weren't enough orbs to keep the ward of dawn up constantly.

It took a while but I persevered working on the normal enemies which sped up my super until there was a gap in the enemies and hammered the boss at that point. Frustratingly on a clear spell my synth was still on cool down and then when the enemies came back I didn't have a bubble shield so it was a quick run round the arena to get some clear space, managed to get through that round of enemies and didn't even need to empty my rockets into the boss. Definitely one of my most satisfying Destiny moments, certainly one of the more stressful ones.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Sep 2015, 23:43

I did the last couple of stages of Atheon and decided to try using Super Good Advice for the Oracles - it's an exotic super machine gun and its perk is that almost every shot that misses is returned to the magazine. During the Atheon battle, three members of the fireteam are randomly chosen and teleported out of the main area and then one has to pick up a relic while the other two have to shoot a sequence of oracles. If they're successful they come back through the portal with a buff to protect against Atheon and do enhanced damage for 30 seconds but killing the Oracles quickly is key. For some reason Oracles don't count as a hit for the SGA machine gun which means you can easily kill all of them without even needing a single reload. It works extremely well although it means no Ice Breaker for Atheon, I need to really get another legendary sniper for that as I've been using Black Hammer (can keep firing infinitely if you keep hitting precision shots) but it's getting nerfed on Tuesday.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Destiny

Postby matt » 07 Sep 2015, 08:56

got to level 9 or 10 last night on my final titan slot to try and get above the 25 cap, not sure I'm going to get it all done ahead of Tuesday's exchange.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Sep 2015, 11:49

Why are you trying to get above the level 25 cap before Tuesday? It's going to be a bit tight as the main story missions will only get you up to 18 and after that you're reliant on bounties and grinding, I'm not sure when you can do Eris and Queen bounties.

I joined a VoG Normal Mode last night which was meant to be a hard mode, I then joined another hard mode which turned out to be a normal mode as well as the group were helping through a level 24 first timer. It turned out to be quite entertaining particularly trying to explain the Gatekeeper and relic mechanics mainly due to people rushing on and kicking off the mechanics before they'd been explained or deciding who was to do what.

John
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 07 Sep 2015, 12:51

I just need my last armour core to be level 34 on my main and that will have to do me for year one I think. Although I don't think I can do this because doesn't 2.0 launch tomorrow so light levels will be meaningless?

Destiny is starting to become a problem for me, I want to play it and I want to get the high level stuff done but there are too many other games coming out and with work and moving I just don't have enough free time. Other games I want to play over the next few months include MGS V (which I started yesterday played 6 hours and completed 2%) Mad Max, Gears Ultimate, Ass Creed Syndicate, Halo 5, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, and Hitman and probably others I have missed. And the obvious Taken King. I'm probably going to lose at least the last 2 weeks of October to moving and the associated rubbish that comes with that, depending on when I can get a phone line and internet sorted.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2015, 01:38

I don't think light level will be meaningless as it contributes towards overall attack/defence although I don't know whether it's going to be worth doing prison of elders amongst all the changes that will be in place tomorrow. We've still to see how much Gally is going to be hurt but I'm suspecting it will be a lot which will make PoE quite a bit tougher but come to think of it the 32 boss should be an easier one if it's the 34 from this week.

I'm a bit annoyed at myself for playing so much Destiny at the moment particularly when the Wii U is well backed up, if it wasn't for Taken King through I'd probably be backing off a bit as I'm done with the current content. I had a 32 and two 34 PoE runs to do last night and couldn't be bothered doing either as there's really not much point and I couldn't be bothered with Skolas either. I was thinking a VoG hard mode would be a good way to finish year one but came across someone who wanted help to run his first Vault of Glass with his son which I decided to hop in with. Another experienced player and I ended up leading the raid which is a first for me as normally I'm just filling out the numbers, it was good to be able to show someone else how the mechanics worked given the amount of help I've had and it felt particularly good leading people along for a change.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2015, 00:22

Woo, we did it! I thought that was good going for a first run, in particular I was impressed we got through the Oracles without even getting marked a single time and also that was the hard route through the Gorgons which usually takes far more attempts than that with experienced players.

The change they made to Atheon is a frustrating one and the more I play the game I appreciate how bad a change it was. Originally Atheon would always teleport the three players closest to him which allowed people to have specific roles, two as Oracle killers, one as Relic and three to defend the portal sync plate. The random teleport system makes it much more difficult as people have to keep changing roles meaning much more to learn whereas in most of the Vault of Glass steps, each person can choose their role allowing new raid players to start off with the easier ones, get used to them then learn new roles.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2015, 14:16

You can now get a video of your legend by going here:

https://www.destinythegame.com/legend-of-you

My Hunter's most lethal exotic is Icebreaker at 2873 kills, his best enemy kills are Colossus kills (110, top 2%), Vex Goblin kills (4,710, top 4%) and hive ogre kills (29, top 8%) badging him as the Untouchable Vex Destroyer:

https://www.destinythegame.com/legend-o ... &version=2

Other two aren't working yet :(
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2015, 17:30

Ok, got my Titan now who is Kellslayer the Unbound:

His best exotic is also the Icebreaker unsurprisingly although with more kills than the hunter which is a surprise (3021, the hunter is my most used character), the top 4% for longest enemy kill distance at 1,425m, 36 Colossus kills to put him in the top 10% and 9,556 headshots for the top 6%.

I was curious where this would leave the Warlock as he's had the least use, both the Titan and Hunter were max level before Dark Below but I only levelled the warlock after house of wolves:

He is Stalker, the surgeon and his best exotic is once again the Ice Breaker with 1983 kills, 41% precision kills (top 5%). 219 K/D against Fallen (top 8%) and 903 Cabal kills (no percentage :( )

For the Hunter it mentioned Atheon kills, the Titan was Skolas kills and the Warlock Crota's End kills which I don't know if that's coincidence or how it works that out.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Destiny

Postby matt » 14 Sep 2015, 18:36

24k / top 10% for kills, happy with that

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2015, 19:26

How have you dropped so many orbs?!
scarbunny

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Sep 2015, 19:42

Unbound ScarbunnyIOM The Fallens Bane.

Best Exotic is Hard Light, not surprising as its the only one I've had worth using up till recently, 2551 kills. 75 public events top 4%, 183 servitor kills top 4%, 23,000 kills top 10%. Not bad seen as I have mostly solo'd the game up to recently.

Thats a ridiculous amount of orbs Matt.

Return to “Gaming”