Destiny

Discuss PC and console gaming
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 21 Aug 2015, 10:48

Thought it was probably worth starting a thread over here to save some of the Destiny chat on TP:L getting in the way if everything else.

So The Taken King is out next month, is any one apart from me and John getting, is any one else even still playing?
matt
Cake
Cake

Destiny

Postby matt » 21 Aug 2015, 10:58

I'm still boycotting it.

But I might have a little dabble now I have week off.

But I'm definitely still pi55ed at destiny for being knobbers. :taz:
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Aug 2015, 01:01

It really bugs me that I still want to play Destiny but I still find the base gameplay satisfying.

Have you done a Vault of Glass run Chris? It's received a lot of praise which I think is well earned, Bungie keep getting so much wrong with Destiny but I think they did a superb job with the raid as it's a great co-op activity. The difficulty is getting people for it though, it's quite doable with four characters with decent armour/weapons (being over levelled is no advantage but the higher rate armour/weapons are) on normal mode but can take a bit of time to learn the mechanics.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
scarbunny

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 22 Aug 2015, 16:19

I've still not done either raid, I have very few friends that play games, none who play Destiny on Xbox.

I keep getting hooked back in to the game, even though I don't actually like it. Its convenient as I have it digitally and I can drop in and do some bounties if I'm bored. Then every so often I will make some real progress and play for an extended period. I had decided that the House of Wolves DLC would be the end of my spending on the game and probably the end of me playing. But I have The Taken King preordered despite myself. It annoys me that there is no real benefit to being over levelled considering how much you suffer for being under levelled even by just one. It also annoys me that there is no way of seeing the high level content with out having a group of friends who play the game and are available when you are, of to resort to a LFG site. Being given the choice how I want to play my game would be nice. Then there is the RNG.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Aug 2015, 02:26

I know what you mean as I'm in the same position, originally I wished they'd just enable matchmaking for all the activities since most people playing know the stuff well and the success of the LFG sites means many people are having to play with randoms anyway. The addition of matchmaking to the heroic strikes though has made me reconsider that as it's shown there's a lot of assholes out there that go afk or are just rubbish at the game. I know the latter sounds condescending but as it's a team game largely you can still be useful even if not doing much damage against the enemies by providing bubbles, carrying out objectives while invisible etc. as I did a couple of level 34 PoE's when I was 32, I couldn't do much damage but just being able to keep the other players going and do some of the objectives was useful.

I was wary of LFG for PoE as I've always found it a lot of hassle for Nightfall and PoE is much tougher however on changing to the Fireteams subreddit I've had pretty good success, it's much quieter than the LFG sites but my hit rate is much, much better. On the LFG sites I would average 10-15 messages before I got an actual invite whereas on the subreddit it's usually the first or second. There's less of an elitism feel as well so no 'must have maxed Gally, FB, VoC, level 34' when it's only a Nightfall and on some of the runs I've done the people haven't been familiar with the boss mechanics (I only know because I read up on them) which I prefer rather than being with people who know it really well and get annoyed with you when you don't. I'd definitely recommend it a go, as with most of the game there's a lot wrong with PoE but it can be quite enjoyable and many of the bosses are more than just bullet sponges.

Vault of Glass is more tricky as the mechanics are a lot more complex, I'd learnt them with friends but even then it can be difficult playing with randoms as different groups have different ways of doing the stages.

I would recommend giving the Fireteams subreddit a go for at least the Nightfall and PoE, we don't seem to be online much at the same time unfortunately - I'd happily help you with the high level strikes but PoE with two people is challenging and oddly this week the 32 is tougher than the 34. I've done almost all my PoE runs with randoms and the worst I've had is a couple of games with no mics which is a pain but managed to do each with only a single wipe to my surprise.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2015, 02:07

I managed to get my level 32 and 32 Prison of Elders runs completed, the 32 was with no mics which is more of a challenge than it sounds and the 34 didn't start off well...the third player still had two blue weapons and was level 32 while the second player was level 33, also underlevelled. The third guy who seemed friends with the second didn't move the first round and when he came back, he asked what this game mode was :shock:

Had a few wipes but less than expected and managed to get through the boss fine, I generally find with PoE bosses it's best to just ignore the boss and keep focused on the spawning enemies until there's a quiet spot to really hammer the boss.

John
mrtoddie

Destiny

Postby mrtoddie » 24 Aug 2015, 11:42

I recently got it,

so I should be about for playing once ive gotten into it.

finding it hard to really get into the game although the gameplay is good.
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Aug 2015, 20:10

Although the change from the current Light based system to conventional XP is a huge change for the game and it's weird to think of playing the game that way, I think it's the right way to go as the current system is confusing particularly at level 20 where it isn't clear what to do next and a lot of grinding is needed to level up to the point you can do the interesting stuff like Raids and Nightfall strikes.

This is all for PvE, I've no idea about PvP.

To get to level 32 the most straightforward armour set is one exotic armour piece and three pieces of House of Wolves Legendary Vanguard armour (marked with a little II in the corner) which can be bought from the vendors in the tower (down the stairs from the main area) for Vanguard marks. There are a few ways to earn Vanguard marks, the easiest is heading onto the Strikes playlist and choosing the highest level you can do and grinding the strikes. With a bit of practice you can knock them out quickly particularly as you learn which points you have to stop at in the strike and which you can just blast past, there's usually only one or two points you have to do plus the boss. You can earn a max of 100 a week.

You also need a minimum Vanguard reputation of rank 2 and that's a real pain to get when you're levelling up first, you do get a small amount of reputation from strikes but it's not much for the time taken. Successful patrols gain Vanguard reputation and can usually be knocked out quickly particularly as you can mix them in with other bounties as well.

As you do the strikes you should get enough blue armour to get a few levels up and enough to do the weekly Heroic strike - it's a standard strike (one per week, resets on a Tuesday morning) with a couple of modifiers which you can do at three different levels, the reward is guaranteed strange coins (3, 6 or 9 depending on what level you do) and with them you can buy exotic armour from a vendor called Xur who comes from Friday morning to Sunday morning. He offers a piece of armour for each class, an exotic weapon, an exotic shard (needed for upgrading exotic armour/weapons) and an exotic engram - these are purchased with motes of light.

Once up to 30+ the top strike is the Nightfall strike, it's similar to the weekly heroic in that it's a normal strike that is available for the week (you only get a reward once per character per week) but there's only a single level (level 32), there's more modifiers, there's no matchmaking and if you all die instead of going back to a checkpoint you go back to orbit. The rewards aren't fixed but generally should be good either a legendary weapon/engram, legendary armour/engram, exotic weapon/armour or rarely etheric light.

To then go from level 32 up to the maximum level 34, you need to head into the Prison of Elders which is a horde mode and a replacement for the raid in House of Wolves. There are four versions, level 28, 32, 34 and 35 - the level 28 version features matchmaking but the rest don't. For the level 28 version it's four rounds (one of Vex, Cabal, Fallen and Hive) which have three wave of enemies, a modifier and an objective followed by a standard boss (similar to the strikes rather than the fancier ones) and the reward is two standard chests (which can contain motes of light, strange coins, a treasure key or blue engrams) and one big chest that needs a treasure key, this has a guaranteed exotic on the first time and usually has legendaries, occasionally an exotic plus a buff for the week that gets you bonus XP any time you earn it - players who have this buff have a swirly blue thing round their head.

Each level 28 has different modifiers, objectives and boss but the level 32, 34 and 35 are exactly the same each week. The rounds aren't necessarily one of each enemy and the bosses are tougher as they usually have some mechanic to work with. Like the weekly strikes you can only do one per week, the level 32 gets you an armour core, level 34 gets you an weapon core plus etheric light and 35 gets you a weapon core, armour core and etheric light. Variks in the Reef sells one type of armour per week (helmet, chest, gauntlets or legs) and one weapon, he will give you one for an armour core/weapon core respectively. To get up to level 34 you need three of his armour and one exotic so you need three weeks to get from 32 to 34.

Bungie have made a confusing mess of upgrading weapons and armour, in vanilla and dark below you needed ascendant materials to upgrade them to maximum and radiant materials to upgrade legendary dark below raid armour/weapons. In House of Wolves they've abandoned all that completely and II weapons/armour do not need any materials to be fully upgraded. You can ascend any weapon or armour to upgrade it to the maximum 365 (331 is the standard for house of wolves weapons) using etheric light for legendaries or an exotic shard for exotics. As this is a scarce resource you need to think carefully about what you want to ascend, weapons are a good choice as there's no other way to get them up to the 365 maximum (whereas you can buy the maximum light level armour from Variks) and it means all your characters can use the benefits. The raid weapons in particular are a good choice as they usually have great perks and the primaries are elemental.

Also introduced in house of wolves are roaming packs of Fallen in the main patrol sections, a drop ship will deploy a couple of scorch cannon equipped Captains with a few others for support and text on the screen will show 'a pack of wolves is roaming'. Killing them all will frenzy them and you'll fight a few waves until you get to the final one which contains a super tough version of a Fallen enemy, it's a different named one and type in each area. Killing the final wave makes a chest lit up in golden light appear and you get the ether key buff which lets you open it (only those who took part get the buff), there are four or five fixed locations the chest can appear in. Also each week there's queen's bounties for killing the end character, the bounty tells you where to go at which point you need to hang around until the wolves appear and kill them - the first bounty handed in guarantees you a treasure key. The other bounties are for killing specific characters on the map also added in for the house of wolves so for example, there's one to kill a servitor by the endless steps - it's always there on the next area past where you fight the gate lord.

The Vault of Glass and Crota's End remain unchanged, they haven't levelled up them further with the new higher caps nor changed the difficulty to account for the more powerful weapons - the standard legendary vanguard weapons are more powerful than anything at the time when just the vanilla game was out. Furthermore with the etheric light, the raid weapons are some of the best guns in the game in particular the mighty fatebringer which is an arc pistol that blows enemies up and gets a quick reload for precision shots or Vision of Confluence which is a stable, quick firing solar scout rifle. It makes the raids easier but not too much so, you still have to understand the mechanics and how they work so I find it a lot more fun than they originally were.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Destiny

Postby matt » 25 Aug 2015, 00:49

currently grinding for my level 2 armour, need another 60 odd vanguard to get a helmet to gain 10 light but could cash in my points now for boots for only 5 light point gains, the tease!

Will try and ascend my vision of confluence next time xur is here too.

Stuck scraping into level 31 for now.

didn't know about point of elders, will have to get a session on that to walk me through it John!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Aug 2015, 01:31

Vision of Confluence is a Legendary not an Exotic so Xur is no good, you'll need etheric light from Prison of Elders (guaranteed) or possibly Nightfall but rare.

Do you have House of Wolves? If so, don't buy any armour until you see what Variks is selling in the morning (he is part of the weekly reset) - he sells one type of armour each week (chest armour this week) so you don't want to buy the same type of Vanguard armour as you'll immediately need to replace it. The reason I ask if you've house of wolves is because Prison of Elders is part of that, it's worth trying the level 28 version to get a feel for the four arenas (they're more like multiplayer maps in a way) and the different objectives. The level 32 and 34 ones are similar aside from usually a bit tougher and a boss with certain mechanics. In each arena there are three waves, if there's going to be objectives it will be the same one in the second and third wave and they'll be one of the following:

- Destroy the mines - this is usually not too bad as you can snipe the mines without moving too much
- Dismantle the mines - this one is a real pain because you have to go to each mine and stand under it to dismantle, multiple people under the mine will do it quicker. A Bladedancer Hunter is generally the best for this as they can go invisible and get quickly between the mines and cloak when they reach them although a warlock can self res and a Titan can secure a tough mine with a bubble
- Kill the target - Also a bit of a pain, it's similar to the public event (although nowhere near as much health) as you have to kill a specific enemy before he reaches the final point on the map. A marker will show where the enemy is and where they need to get to (they change each time), it's tricky because if you run in too fast you can get killed by the mobs but too slow and you lose anyway. If the target point can be held at all then it's usually worth holding there and blowing the hell out of the target as he approaches.

Hopefully we can get online at the same time at some point to give it a go.

John
scarbunny

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 25 Aug 2015, 10:18

Currently trying to convince my missus to start playing, might be getting some where. If she does start it will be a while until she is high enough level to be useful for Strikes or PoE, and it wont be until after the move until we can coop but it might be a way to get an extra person. I doubt she will stick it out beyond the first few levels though.
matt
Cake
Cake

Destiny

Postby matt » 25 Aug 2015, 13:05

my bro has the all the expansions so I'll see if I can set up the home sharing hack where I can play his games on my xbox and mine as i'm signed in, and vice versa.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Aug 2015, 22:03

matt wrote:Source of the post my bro has the all the expansions so I'll see if I can set up the home sharing hack where I can play his games on my xbox and mine as i'm signed in, and vice versa.

I think you can although I'm wondering how long it is until they start restricting it as the system seems surprisingly generous in its current implementation as a friend claims that when sharing the titles they can still both play the game at the same time unlike Steam where the entire library is only available to one person at a time which makes more sense.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Destiny

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Aug 2015, 01:24

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Currently trying to convince my missus to start playing, might be getting some where. If she does start it will be a while until she is high enough level to be useful for Strikes or PoE, and it wont be until after the move until we can coop but it might be a way to get an extra person. I doubt she will stick it out beyond the first few levels though.

Well you can't really blame her either, when I explain to people what you need to do to progress past level 20 I wonder why the heck I'm playing this game as it sounds so rubbish. Bungie used to talk about getting the 30 seconds of gameplay just right and then repeating that which I didn't entirely agree with but mostly Destiny demonstrates that, ultimately I find the standard combat surprisingly good which is what keeps me hooked on the game and doing the same content over and over again. Someone posted some interesting statistics on Reddit that they'd harvested from the PS4 trophies to give an idea of what percentage of players made it to level 30, how many got an exotic, how many fully levelled a legendary, how many did the vault of glass etc. and it's no surprise a huge percentage of players never made it past level 20.

Variks is selling helmets this week which is great for me because both my Hunter and Warlock are wearing exotic helmets to get them up to level 34 because I don't have decent legendary helmets for them, neither of the helmets is for their sub class. Now with a helmet off Variks my Hunter can stay at level 34 with his exotic gauntlets on which do suit his subclass, their perk is that when you take a melee hit you go invisible which sounds handy but it's even more useful than I realised. It means when scoped and something you don't see clobbers you, you're given a moment to run away or switch to a weapon to blow them away or when a Fallen Captain charges you instead of getting the second death blow you've got time to hit them back. It took a little time to get used to as there was a few parts of the PoE run where I thought I was dead from close combat but my character was waiting invisible and very much alive. Combined with the perks that he can go invisible when he melees, can turn invisible after crouching and has extended invisibility it's making him a lot more useful particularly in Prison of Elders as he can go harvest ammo when there's still lots of enemies about, revive team-mates who are in the middle of lots of enemies and can get to all the dismantle mine areas and hold them while staying invisible.

Same goes for my warlock, he has this ram helmet everyone raves about although I don't know why but the one I want to use is an exotic chest piece that blinds enemies on a self res which again is very useful as I found the self res could frequently be useless as an enemy that downed me could immediately do it again on a self res.

My Titan is still an issue though, he has exotic leg armour at the moment that doesn't suit his class, I've been trying to get the Saint14 helmet each time Xur has been offering helmet engrams but no luck - it's the ultimate helmet for a bubble shield titan as it blinds any enemies that walk through it on top of whatever ability the shield is already set to.

I did my first Nightfall with the Hunter this evening with a random off Reddit, went very smoothly and Omnigul was down in no time. Unusually the person had a mic (I tend to find people don't bother for the Nightfall) which sped things up considerably and no wipes. As usual the feeling of success was quickly ripped away when I got my reward, another blooming All-Fate pulse rifle which is around the seventh or eighth I've had now, oh well. I was also amused for the second time this week someone commented on the age of my gamertag which has never happened once before.

The latest trailer has a sample of the new Ghost audio which sounds like a cross between C-3PO and Guilty Spark 343:

John
scarbunny

Destiny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Aug 2015, 13:02

Bungie have released some info on the new exotics.

http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-revea ... pon-class/

I need to get the "Chaperone" and the "Sleeper Stimulant"

Return to “Gaming”