Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Apr 2015, 00:36

There's a new CGI trailer out for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided which appears to follow on straight from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, sticking with Adam Jensen:

I'm extremely excited about this as the first game was a real surprise, I assumed it was just going to be a cash-in on the name but I loved the design and the gameplay which felt like you could genuinely do as you want rather than being forced down a certain path in terms of lethal/non-lethal plus what conversation answers you chose.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Postby scarbunny » 12 Apr 2015, 10:20

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, I had avoided everything about DE:HR as I had assumed as you did that it would be a generic FPS, however it ended up being one of my favourite games that year. If only they had left the boss battles out it would have been near perfect.

Hopefully this won't be a sequel like Invisible War was.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Apr 2015, 14:02

I bought the game on the Wii U as they supposedly fixed the boss battles although I think they also latterly rolled those changes out to the PC version as well? At least they admitted they made a mess of the boss battles rather than claiming gamers are wrong like some other publishers have done.

I'm hoping the long gap between the original and the sequel is a good sign as I was initially expecting them to just bang out a few cheap sequels to cash in on the name while they could but they seem to have realised the value of the game and hopefully put the effort into making a worthy sequel.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 13 Apr 2015, 09:43

I played it quite late on the PC, and don't remember there being anything wrong with the boss fights. So it sounds as if they were fixed. The only annoyance / disappointment with the game that I recall was near the end where...

Spoiler:
(at the end actually) you got the "pick your cutscene" style ending. I don't recall if I even picked one or what the choices where. Sure one was to let the reapers win... Maybe I just switched it off in a big huff!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Apr 2015, 11:34

I think a different company actually made the boss battles, from what I remember...

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Apr 2015, 12:04

jurassicjim wrote:I think a different company actually made the boss battles, from what I remember...

j

That's what I remember as well, what was frustrating about them was the only way to get through them was to kill the bosses was by shooting them until they died. The problem with this was that the game allowed for different paths so there was often a stealth option, a hacking option, an all out attack option or a brute force option to get to a certain place. With the boss fights there were no options which was fine for those who had put their upgrade points into combat upgrades but I'd put mine into stealth, non-lethal and hacking upgrades so I was completely stuffed plus the boss fights just didn't feel like part of the game at all.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Apr 2015, 15:54

Johnmcl7 wrote:
jurassicjim wrote:I think a different company actually made the boss battles, from what I remember...

j

That's what I remember as well, what was frustrating about them was the only way to get through them was to kill the bosses was by shooting them until they died. The problem with this was that the game allowed for different paths so there was often a stealth option, a hacking option, an all out attack option or a brute force option to get to a certain place. With the boss fights there were no options which was fine for those who had put their upgrade points into combat upgrades but I'd put mine into stealth, non-lethal and hacking upgrades so I was completely stuffed plus the boss fights just didn't feel like part of the game at all.

John

I remember reading about the issue before I started playing, so I made sure I upgraded my "body bombs" or something like that, which made them really easy. Otherwise, I play as a pretty much total stealth guy same as you.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Apr 2015, 22:37

I think what made the bosses worse was the fact the game worked well as a stealth game but without forcing you to do it if you didn't want to.

John

Return to “Gaming”