GTA V thread

Discuss PC and console gaming
matt
Cake
Cake

Re: GTA V thread

Postby matt » 03 Oct 2013, 00:49

I was lucky to get passed the tutorial after around 5 attempts and one hour later.

Once you're on it is pretty stable which is promising but plenty left to do.

John,

I would wait for a minute or two, then try to use start menu to cycle on / offline to retry or back to dashboard.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Oct 2013, 17:08

Thanks Matt, so when it's setting up the session it's not worth waiting? Instead it's better to quit out and have another go?

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Oct 2013, 22:09

one tip is to uninstall the update and reinstall it, there is a blog posting by rockstar on known issues.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Oct 2013, 22:10

Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 04 Oct 2013, 09:30

matt wrote:http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html

Oh my, I was several pages down before I understood the language in those comments.

I know it will affect sales, but can there be some kind of literacy test for people to buy/play games - appropriate to the age rating of the game, of course. Nothing nuts, just standard skills necessary for life. So for an 18 rated game in the UK, the player should have had plenty of time to obtain GCSE English by then with a C grade or above. And of course, you can't post on any message boards unless you own the game.

I think I'm a bit grumpy in the morning...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Oct 2013, 22:40

Tappy, I'm sure all of us agree with you and sadly that's pretty much the case with anything online these days.

Trying to play GTA V again tonight but apparently the Rockstar servers are currently offline completely so I can only play with a temporary character and no saving...hopefully will be able to get a feel for it though.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2013, 01:28

No luck last night but after the new title update I managed to get on tonight and seemed to work fine. It's slow to get started and some of the game types are a bit naff where you're just straight out shooting where the game doesn't really work but the proper GTA modes seem superb. There's one where a courier is carrying evidence and you're split into two competing teams which have to mug the courier and take the evidence back to base.

A 4 v 4 game got surprisingly heated by the time two different police forces had got involved and there was a huge pileup in the bottom of a valley, I managed to sneak and grab the evidence during the middle of the escalating battle and as I started sneaking away I was spotted. I was then running frantically but was sure I was about to get shot but a car came sailing over the hill and a team-mate quickly picked me up and we won.

The next game was 8 v 8 and I was a bit annoyed when a team-mate scorched off with the team car, only I had enough time to get in with the rest of our team left behind. However I saw the logic in that as we reached the courier and got clear before the other team reached the spot and when they did, our team were there as well so while they battled it out we were horsing it out of there. A few clashes with the police and a couple of enemies who got clear of our team later, we managed to get the evidence back.

I'm looking forward to playing this game type with fellow Techponders as team mates.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 06 Oct 2013, 15:18

It makes no sense they know how many copies they have sold therefore they should have that capacity on the servers at launch then scale back as they know the actual load.

Maybe it's for the best I'm not around as it stops me getting annoyed at it all.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 07 Oct 2013, 09:22

scarbunny wrote:It makes no sense they know how many copies they have sold therefore they should have that capacity on the servers at launch then scale back as they know the actual load.

Maybe it's for the best I'm not around as it stops me getting annoyed at it all.

Apart from trying to log in once on the weekend, I'm continuing with the single player storyline for the time being. Hopefully all the issues will be sorted by the time I feel the urge to multi it.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 14 Oct 2013, 09:43

Not sure if this is worthy for this thread or the Just Completed one, but I'm through the main Story Mode. Really enjoyed the story actually - obviously it's no Mass Effect, but I wasn't expecting Mass Effect either. The jumping between the characters was nice, and having a Trevor made it okay to go crazy without feeling game guilt!

Think I'm only 75%ish complete, so probably lots of little annoying tasks to do to get 100%. But Online seems to be functioning now, spent some decent time on it on the weekend. It's a bit clunky to play with friends though: <Join session with friend in> <Do a job together> <Be in different sessions> <Both sessions full> <Leave and join a new session> <Friend joins new session> <Do a job together>

EDIT: Typical Rockstar game though, pretty thorough completion of storymode = 250GS!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Oct 2013, 01:44

I'm finding the online to have improved massively in a surprisingly short period of time as I now get connected most of the time with a just a few random kicks here and there. I'm also finding the design is clunky, the game itself seems far better with groups of friends but it's very difficult to stay together as bizarrely it seems to keep splitting you up.

It's similarly difficult in single player to get playing the games you want as you can only choose between race, mission and deathmatch but even if you get a game type you want within these, it can still switch to another on the next vote. I've been persisting a bit more to get my level up and there's a great variety of gametypes, much more than I realised and some of them work really, really well but it's near impossible to play them again.

As usual I dislike the level system as I think it's inherently flawed rewarding players who have played longer with better equipment when they're better at the game anyway while people starting off and not familiar with the game have laughable equipment. The random mission dropped me into a higher rank deathmatch game leaving me with a pistol against people with assault rifles and sniper rifles which needless to say didn't go well.

John
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 23 Oct 2013, 18:36

scarbunny wrote:It makes no sense they know how many copies they have sold therefore they should have that capacity on the servers at launch then scale back as they know the actual load.

Unfortunately Scar, these capacity issues are more often than not deliberate and industry standard practice. They do know how many copies they have sold and have a reasonable prediction before launch (a real figure divorced from marketing bullshit).

The pragmatic angle would suggest that they have spent all they are willing to on infrastructure, which most likely has been provisioned for predicted steady state load, minus what they feel they can get away with once finance has done its dream crushing.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Sep 2014, 22:06

FINALLY! PC version due 27th January 2015...
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Apr 2015, 01:40

I picked up the Xbox One version to play the newly added heists with other Xbox One owning friends, frustratingly they've not really fixed much of GTA Online in terms of game types and being able to play games but I'm finding the heists a lot of fun. They're sort of a set of four play co-op missions with several set up missions you complete to then be able to do the actual heist itself. The missions themselves are usually pretty challenging and there's a variety of roles which makes it fun to have different goes at the mission and change round the roles to see what works best.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Apr 2015, 14:29

Just pre-ordered the PC version. 50Gb download starts today i think. And we get 60 FPS with compatible cards. this should look shiny.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14

Return to “Gaming”