Cake

Re: GTA V thread

Postby matt » 25 Sep 2013, 09:32

Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 25 Sep 2013, 09:50

Just looked at my profile on the Rockstar Social Club - I've had far too many private dances for a virtual game!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 25 Sep 2013, 11:33

trevor is out gunning mike and franky 3 to 1 lol!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 25 Sep 2013, 17:02

matt wrote:http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/the_tech_pond

Curse you and your internet wizardry!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Sep 2013, 23:07

I'm still really struggling with this and close to the point of giving up, every time I think I'm starting to get into it the game throws up something to just stop it being fun. I thought with getting the pilot's license would mean I could use the airport and have a play with the planes as in San Andreas but nope, still not allowed in the airport as that triggers the cops which I've decided are complete and utter bollocks. None of the cops chasing mechanics seem to work in the slightest, the game seems to randomly decide how long a chase is going to go on for and nothing you do will change that. I've flipped cop cars chasing me or blown them up but they immediately reset and remain magnetically attached to my rear bumper no matter what I do. When they drop back to the arcs it seems meaningless, I can be nowhere near an arc and it triggers the police again or I can go through one and they ignore me. It seems to get stuck in this step for ages and frequently as I'm about to get clear, the game spawns a police car right on top of me and restarts the chase?!

The fact the big planes can only take a single shot from a pistol before they blow up (sadly I'm not exaggerating, thought I was unlucky the first time but had it happen so many times now) just ruins them completely. The random terrain strength makes any driving annoying as well, some fences you can drive through, other fences with the same texture are super hardened ones which cripple your car if you try to drive through them. Even small items can be super hardened as well, I've had my car destroyed or blown up when I've tried to drive over a six inch kerb or a small rock.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Sep 2013, 23:13

Actually, it seems it's not just the planes that are one shot deaths...again and again, the elite police cars one shot kill me when I'm driving which I'm getting completely sick of. I'm supposed to be shooting the back of some armoured vehicle but after emptying several hundred rounds in it, neither the doors or the tyres were giving in, the civilian cars all seemed to be magnetically attached to mine and the armoured car was off on some scripted run ignoring all driving physics and driving along a rail then the policeman came along and single shotted me out of the car and killed me.

I'm annoyed at myself for being so optimistic this would be another San Andreas, the game is sadly completely bogged down in trying to be realistic and forgotten it's meant to be fun to play.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 29 Sep 2013, 17:46

Oh dear John, not to laugh at your woes, but I can honestly say I have not had any of the frustrations you seemed to have.

I wasn't very good at losing the cops to begin with, but quickly learnt a tactic and mostly seems to get me out of trouble pretty quickly, from a 3 star wanted rating any way. Take a few quick turns so the police are "hunting" for you but can't see, then just hide the car down an alleyway behind some shops, or a building/ driveway etc, wait 30-60 seconds and usually come good. The line of sight the cops are programmed with seems to be pretty good in these situations, i.e realistic vision cones.

Can't comment of the plane issue, passed the flight test, but haven't gone out of my way to jump in a plane and fly about.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Sep 2013, 12:30

That's what I used to do initially as it's what the game suggests but if I stop moving I almost always get a police car (or more often three) that spawn right on top of me and restart the whole thing. I just keep getting frustrated with the game as each time I think I'm finally getting into it I just hit annoying realism problems, yes it's good suspension damage is modelled more accurately but it frequently breaks the car on a minor impact and frequently chases are ended by incredibly accurate police (or bloody security guards who seem even worse) who can seem to single shot kill you wherever you are - one managed to kill me when I was high up in the air.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 30 Sep 2013, 16:08

hide in a bush.

true story.

Also, youtube for gta5 mythbusters part 1 and 2, some interesting tips / tricks
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Oct 2013, 01:15

I tried hiding in an alleyway again but the usual happened, three police cars spawned in right on top of me and as I wasn't able to move quickly enough they got an easy headshot on me and mission over. Stopping at all with wanted star seems to be guaranteed death.

Anyway, sorry for the moaning - partially it's from the frustration of such a huge detailed world but seemingly little to do in it and partially from getting up early for long cycles.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 01 Oct 2013, 10:44

look at the ign interactive map, will give an indication of side missions.

I spent 3 hours on Sunday trying to collect spaceship parts, still have another 20 odd to go!

online is meant to be online from this afternoon.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 01 Oct 2013, 16:56

anyone tried it yet? Home time is is 34 minutes away...

ARRRGGG!!!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 02 Oct 2013, 22:21

Can't play online for another week and a half ish

Gonna be so far behind the curve I'm not sure it will be fun.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2013, 22:45

From what I've read, Rockstar have completely underestimated demand and online is barely available so you might find in a week and a half no-one else has been playing it online either. I just keep getting server unavailable messages and there's no queuing system or automated retries.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2013, 23:37

After nearly an hour of 'launching session' and no sign of any progress I've given up, I don't know how they could make such a mess of it, they knew the game was going to be in high demand and other titles had suffered bad server problems at launch yet they put in no peer to peer options, nowhere near enough capacity, no queuing system, no indication of current status or any hint as to what is actually going on.

John

Return to “Gaming”