PS4

Discuss PC and console gaming
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: PS4

Postby scarbunny » 26 May 2014, 14:24

So its been a week of owning the PS4.

So far I am enjoying the games, they do seem to be a little shinier than on the Xbox however it's hard to tell as I don't have any cross platform games for direct comparison.

The controller is a decent improvement over the PS3, however the positioning of the sticks makes it difficult to use one handed (a very niche use case but in open world games one the Xbox I will rest the controller on the back of the sofa and play with my left hand) A more broadly annoying feature is the shape and positioning of the options/start button, its tucked up out of the way and annoying to press is the middle of game play. Also the built in battery is a pain, it doesn't last a particularly long time and once it dies you have to plug it in which brings me on to another gripe. There is no USB socket on the rear of the console so leaving a USB cable plugged in all the time is messy.

But the biggest issue I have with the PS4 which undermines anything good it might do is the amount of heat it produces, and the amount of noise is makes delaying with it. If I have the console sat in the middle of the room raised off the carpet on some boxes it will be mostly fine. However if want it tidied away then its loud enough to distract while playing. I currently have it behind the TV with plenty of space around and behind it, but its standing up, and while it takes a little longer to get noisy it still ends up unbearable. It is by far the noisiest console I have out of the Xbox One, 360 and PS3.

Generally I am enjoying it, but while it is more powerful than the Xbox it isn't as well designed or thought out.
jurassicjim

Re: PS4

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Sep 2014, 21:14

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a PS4 with Destiny, some amazon vouchers have come my way due to birthday.

Think I may as well wait for Xmas and see if some more bundles come out. Anyone have ideas on kinds of deals that may come about?

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

PS4

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Jan 2016, 19:10

Did you go for a PS4 Jim?

I've noticed Amazon have some graded ones for £200 which I'm tempted by:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... 092&sr=1-3

At the moment the only game I'm wanting is Amplitude so I'm not fussed about bundles and there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the PS4 revisions aside from the newer ones being slightly more power efficient.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
scarbunny

PS4

Postby scarbunny » 06 Jan 2016, 09:36

The newer ones are supposed to be a lot quieter as well, which is desperately needed as my PS4 is ridiculously loud. It puts me off using it despite getting a couple of games for it for Christmas.

Also whilst the controller is quite nice their refusal to have asymmetrical sticks like the Xbox spoils any improvements they have made.
jurassicjim

PS4

Postby jurassicjim » 06 Jan 2016, 13:40

Yeah, went for the PS4, can't say I've noticed it being noisy, must have the speakers up to high (and I use headphones half the time anyway).

I like it, the interface is good, they actually have some decent deals on the PSN Store, I got used to the controller pretty quickly, though I prefer the Xbox one overall - it is no way a deal breaker.

Just need some more time to play the damn thing!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

PS4

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jan 2016, 13:45

Any idea what model you have Jim? If it's the CUH-12 (the newer, quieter one?) that would answer my question about whether to go for the newer one or not.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

PS4

Postby jurassicjim » 06 Jan 2016, 18:20

Mine is the older one John, had it about a year now.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

PS4

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Jan 2016, 01:55

That's really not helping then!
robbo
100th member
100th member

PS4

Postby robbo » 08 Jan 2016, 00:52

Do it John. Buy it.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

PS4

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jan 2016, 01:16

robbo wrote:Source of the post Do it John. Buy it.

Did Matt hack Robbo's account?

Return to “Gaming”